the real reason I love my OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by HappyFish, Jan 4, 2013.

1. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    OK first off I work as a pro so part of my view is always from working point on gear !
    but the around the house stuff I also think about and can say the only camera I grab is the OMD now :)

with other pros talking about the quality of the file I just say it matches what any FF can do but maybe a stop or two behind tops !
    if I start to get into it more I think the point of the camera gets lost !
    sorry to some of the other photographer sites who get a bit to geeky on things and think that is what makes a camera !!! it does not :)

while kinda obvious :) I always say to people (lay folks mostly) images should spark emotion and love for something or someone and if we can make them technically correct then cool if not who cares its like hearing a song that song does not make you emotional its the memories it brings up that makes you emotional
    and if that song comes on the perfect system at home or in the car or you hear it in the elevator it really does not matter !

imagine if you were going to be stranded on a island and could only have one or two photographs what would they be !
    chances are far from technical perfect but something that sparks your emotions

I do laugh cause as togs I think we get hung up more on noise and things than most
    and really people just want images that spark that emotion when they see them

making people less camera aware is something I do feel the OMD has over large FF gear
    when I shoot weddings I do laugh at some photographers who say OH I try to blend in !!
    hahahahah YEAH the stranger with all the camera gear and following the bride around and directing everyone during groups ! sorry buddy everyone knows you are the photographer their is no blending in !!!!!

that said when I walk around the second I raise the camera I get the typical response from people grab the person near them and grin at me !!!! even when I say ignore me :)

with the OMD I can shoot without anyone knowing or looking cant do that as easy with FF

I do think that ability of the IBIS can help since your stance can be more waist level relaxed the tilt screen even the touch to focus/shoot can help get these shots !
    the great lens we have like the 75 that we can shoot wide open and get insane sharp detail even in the corners
    the fact its so quiet I can often take a few shots and nobody notices

to me when I talk to other pros this is more what I bring up than anything :)

just some thoughts :)
    and dont get me wrong I love the tech side but its a given we want the best we can get
    and comparing the OMD against say a MKII the files are so close we have to talk about other things that separate them
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Brian style

Brian style Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    I completely agree with you. Especially the part about peoples' reactions as soon as you aim a DSLR at them. Too bad Oly doesn't put out more black versions of lenses because silver will naturally draw more attention.
  3. Rens

Rens Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Northumberland UK

Happy as I am with the OMD, the files are close only when you don't try lifting shadows. That's when you see a real difference. I'm approaching shooting differently now (in my strictly amateur way) because I'm aware that if it's dark in the ORF there's not too much I'm going to be able to do about it without losing more IQ than I'm happy with.

Maybe it's a good discipline.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I agree that pushing the shadows isn't the strongest point of the EM5, although it's better than the MK2.

Different cameras have different sensor characteristics. The EM5 is a bit steep in the shadows but the highlights have a nice gentle curve and there's a surprising amount of headroom there. Compared to my Leica in which the highlight fall off is like a cliff but there's more than a couple of stops in the shadows.

5. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    for the most part I can lift them pretty good if I need to ?
    again I think C1 is a must for the OLY files though and makes a huge difference in both noise and detail including shadows :) but thats me :) hahaahha

also I think most agree lots of ways to life shadows and little things to try
    if I move sliders I try to move one and sometimes balance things out with the others and try not to push any one slider to far :)

also I try to nail the shots as best I can and if anything shoot to the right on the OMD is a big improvement of course
    I use flash and off camera flash as needed also just shooting so long try to look for the light and put the people in it if I can :)
  6. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Bravin Neff

I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm a pro/semi-pro musician, and the music and recording world is just as full of gear-chasing and technical mumbo jumbo as the photography world. It gets very easy to lose sight of what the heck made you got into it in the first place, if all you ever think about are specs and technical topics. A wonderful AD convertor has nothing to do with a good song, and $20K microphone still sounds like crap in front of a crappy singer. On the other hand, give Eddie Van Halen a piece of crap $69 Walmart guitar and it will still sound like Eddie Van Halen. He won't necessarily be comfortable playing it, but everyone else will think he's rocking.
    • Like Like x 1