The quest for a new camera - at last it's over

WasOM3user

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the kind works everyone and also your thoughts on the 20 vs 25mm debate - having looked at the debate(s) it look like they are both good lenses but which is best depends on how you are using them either to make your camera "pocketable" or after faster autofocus!!

At some point when I have really found how to get the best from the camera I will load some images.

I think I will hang on to my OM3 for a while thanks - they were not very common when I bought mine as most people went for the OM4Ti and with the Tamron SP90mm make a superb combination.

applemint

Mu-43 Veteran
Great story. As for the 20mm vs 25mm I cannot offer a comparison having only used the 20mm but as (lower) cost and (smaller) size were my priorities I went for 20mm and love it. All the slow AF comments puzzle me a bit as mine seems fine, even in low light - in relative terms, yes, fractionally slower than say my 14mm, but not enough to be a problem.

Anyway which ever one you go for, Panasonic is offering £50 cashback on each lens (until 31/12/12) when bought from an authorised Panasonic dealer - so don't forget to claim that. :smile:
Offer | Panasonic Promotions

lennyKravic

Mu-43 Regular
Great story to read, thumbs up!

I think you should try waiting until new Oly 17mm 1.8 comes out, it'll probably have MSC which is fast in focusing. I have Pana 20mm and when I bought Oly 45mm I saw WOW it's fast. So I'm looking forward to the new 35mm equivalent.

wildwildwes

Mu-43 Veteran
Enjoyed the read. Welcome to the community...

Now standard lens- I wonder….. 20mm f1.7 or 25mm f1.4……….

As many have already opined, this is one of those debates you'll have to settle for yourself. For me however, the whole point of the M 4/3 thing is the size factor. That said, despite its relatively affordable price point, the Pany 20 is truly a world-class, reference quality lens. I have compared it to my best Nikon and Leica (Leitz) lens equivalents, and found my preference to be for the little panasonic. Furthermore, it is a known fact that from a technical perspective (born of independent tests that can be found online) and notwithstanding the AF speed thing (which I don't find to be an issue at all frankly) the 20mm is actually the superior of the 25... So, here we go again! :biggrin:

Good luck either way!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom