The Putangirua Pinnacles

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by wjiang, Apr 15, 2015.

1. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Situated in Aorangi Forest Park near Cape Palliser, the Pinnacles are probably the best example of badlands erosion in New Zealand. If it looks strangely familiar, it's because the Paths of the Dead scene in Return of the King was filmed here. We went out there for a day trip during our recent holiday in the Wellington region - my wife because it was a LOTR location and me because of the excellent scenery.

There are two tracks to the major formations, one along the ridge line above, and one on the riverbed below. They both join up, and the ridge line is a bit more tiring, but does give some unique vantage points:
    full.
    7.5FE, f/5.6, 1/1000s, ISO200

After the two tracks meet, the main river bed track dries up, and the gorge narrows:
    full.
    O12-50, 15mm, f/5.6, 1/100s, ISO200

The sides are pretty shear, and are actively eroding:
    full.
    O12-50, 12mm, f/5.6, 1/60s, ISO200

You can get quite far up the gorge, and all along the way, the formations are pretty spectacular:
    full.
    7.5FE, f/5.6, 1/1250s, ISO200

Towards the end, there is a more open area. This couple gives a sense of scale:
    full.
    O12-50, 12mm, f/5.6, 1/250s, ISO200

Starting to really narrow at the very end:
    full.
    7.5FE, f/5.6, 1/500s, ISO200

Exploring a bit, taking care not to get too close to the edges:
    full.
    7.5FE, f/5.6, 1/640s, ISO200, TTL fill flash from Nissin i40

The long walk back to the coast:
    full.
    7.5FE, f/5.6, 1/500s, ISO200

• Like Like x 20
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Your last shot is the most interesting and striking of all to me. This seems to be one of those landscape where you can't capture it all, but have to look for the dramatic to convey something special.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. wjiang

How right you are. We were in the upper reaches for nearly an hour, and there was essentially a different formation or viewpoint for every minute of walking.

4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I love them all especially the first one, besides the view there are two things amaze me. The Samyang 7.5 is so sharp even de-fished; and the power output of Nissin i40 in HSS mode, I've found mine a lot weaker in HSS mode, probably not even noticeable in f/5.6 iso 200 1/640s, how did you make it work?

5. wjiang

From memory I had the i40 on max FEC and tightest zoom possible, making sure it was pointed directly at the subject. Sure the power is still limited but it softens the shadows enough that a little PP afterwards takes care of it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    thanks, I didn't know that you can override the zoom setting when using on mft body which is supposed to pass the FL info, maybe it's because there's no FL info with the Samyang

7. wjiang

Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe I had it in manual mode? You always should always be able to set the zoom in case you are using the flash for wider area fill or in this case, spot fill.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    New Zealand is a spectacular country. One of my favourite places from a photographic perspective. Your next trip should be to fox glacier!

• Like Like x 1