1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The Prince and the Pauper, or when an E-P1 and E-P2 switch clothes.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by labcoatguy, May 19, 2011.

1. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    I bought my black E-P2 because of a great deal I couldn't pass up, but always liked the looks of my old silver E-P1. As a result, I bought a silver E-P1 body and swapped the top and bottom plates, resulting in these two Franken-PENs.

F3193972.JPG
    F3193975.JPG
    P5193976.JPG
    P5193977.JPG

Both look good in their own right, and I was originally planning on keeping the combination of silver top and bottom and black side plates, but the black top and bottom go surprisingly well with the silver side plates. I may have to hold onto both for a little while longer to see which I prefer, or, in the worst (best?) case scenario, keep both cameras.

• Like Like x 3
  2. I think the E-P2 with the silver body plates looks the best.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I like the silver side with black top/bottom, but I think the black sides with silver top/bottom looks more natural and more like a retro film camera. For that reason, I would go with that combo.

Which one allows the use of the accessory port, or do neither?

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Just ordered an E-P2 today and now I want yours instead( silver top and bottom). A couple of months ago, locally there was an E-P1 with smashed screen for sale for a $100. Now I know why I was tempted to buy it, what I didn't know was how I would have used it. I'd love to see it with a black 17mm on it!

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I just busted the screen on my E-P1 last weekend, while trying to hustle a few hundred lbs of equipment on the bus because I missed the registry by 5 mins on Saturday (they only open till 3pm here!) to register a van.

I wonder if this is a common weak point in that camera? I doubt I'd let mine go for $100, though I don't know how much it'll cost to repair it yet. I paid full price for mine, pre-ordered a month before they came to Canada. xP

6. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    The more I look at the black sides with the silver top/bottom, the more it looks like it's trying too hard to be retro; there's a fine line between paying tribute to the past and slavishly copying it, and this setup in my eyes is the latter.

Both configurations let you use the accessory port, though it takes a bit of modification to the E-P1 top panel. A few minutes with a Dremel and a grinding wheel take care of that issue. All the screw holes are in the same place, so no need for modification on that front.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Hey, you did it! Thanks for sharing!

8. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    I call camera bigamy!

(just jealous...)

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Wow they both look tremendous, well done!

For those who didn't notice : he's been trying to get someone to swap plates for a while now ;
    Job done!
    Keep 'em both.

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Looks sorta like my microwave.

11. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Kudos for finally making it happen. Personally, I like the black top-bottom and silver panels options. It pays tribute to the past, isn't too much gaudy, and doesn't push the styling into an overdone pseudo-retro color scheme. Just my opinion.

Cheers,

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, you're right... looking at them more, the black top and bottom is more "stylishly modern". It's also nice that it doesn't need any modifications to the plates, either.

13. razumoff

razumoff Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 31, 2010
    France, Paris
    labcoatguy,
    Great job. Is somebody knows is these steel parts can be buy from Olympus or any parts seller and for a couple of $, £, € ?
    kind regards

14. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    I'm not sure about the parts situation overseas, but I called both Olympus US and some authorized repair centers and none of them had parts for sale. Buying a used E-P1 body may be the only course of action at the moment.

15. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    On an EPL1, a cracked screen repair cost me $169 from the US repair facility in New York state.

16. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    looking familair?

[​IMG]

17. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    On a related note, I just had the hotshoe bracket powdercoated in flat black. It always looked out of place and made the hotshoe bump look taller than it really is. Olympus agrees with me, because the bracket on the black E-PL2 is indeed black.

Before:
    P5273991.JPG
    After:
    P5273993.JPG

I think I'm done with the body mods now that the raised hotshoe isn't drawing as much attention to itself.

18. razumoff

razumoff Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 31, 2010
    France, Paris
    Thanks.... :-(....