The power of advertising

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Luke, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I just received an email from my local camera shop (I had forgotten that I was even on their mailing list). But first a little back story.

They don't carry the Panasonics (except for the point and shoots) and only a small taste of the Oly line (every time I stop in to see if they have an E-P3 to see how it feels it hand, they say "Oh, we had one a couple weeks ago....check back in a couple weeks"). So it would seem they make their bread and butter selling Canikon (and add-on services to the MASSIVE array of overpriced crap point and shoots) and aren't interested in much else.

But they send a fancy email presumably to everyone on their mailing list to let people know that the the new Nikon 1 J1 is now in stock. Here's the page that the email re-directs to...... http://artscameras.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[product_guids][0]=debcc4b0-c843-012e-8779-20cf30bab63e Does Nikon pay to get all these eyeballs? I would bet they do. They show it in white. It looks pretty cool in its' own utilitarian, homely way. But I know better. The problem for Oly and Panny is that there is HIGH percentage of enthusiastic camera buyers who are also receiving this same email who don't know better.

So guess what will be on hundreds of Milwaukeeans Christmas lists now.
    *the sound of hundreds of emails being forwarded. *

I just know i picked the right horse in this race and feel like it won the race, but the racetrack isn't paying out on the ticket. I'm gonna go take some photos.

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I don't watch much television, but I have already seen a Nikon 1 commercial. I have never seen anything from Panasonic or Olympus.

But... I just wonder how many people in the general, non-enthusiast market are actually looking for a Nikon 1 (or any CSC for that matter). It seems like most people are still looking for a lower priced DSLR to take kids sports pictures, or maybe a compact fixed lens for travel.

I cannot see the Nikon 1 making any traction in the enthusiast market, with the exception of, possibly, serious Nikon loyalists.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I honestly don't know where "regular people" buy their cameras. Nikon will be able to own the small camera stores, but the "regular" folks I know who have bought a camera, have actually asked me what to buy, and I've helped them, buying from Amazon, Adorama and used (Fred Miranda).

I go to our local camera store, and there are well-heeled neophytes in there, but I've no idea if that's the majority. I would think the majority buy at places like Best Buy and Amazon (in the US, at least). It would be interesting to know for sure.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    well heeled neophytes is the target demographic.

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Nikon is a golden name and they're cashing in on it. Don't know how long the Nikon moniker will remain golden at this rate of cashing-in, but after a while it will be tarnished by over marketing, so-so products and Charlie Sheen ... oops ... I mean Ashton Kutcher.

6. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think you are on to something, Gary! m4/3 needs to hire Charlie Sheen as a spokesman! Massive talk show blitz.....

“Look what I’m dealing with, man, I’m dealing with fools and trolls.” - Charlie Sheen when asked about the new Nikon 1 system and NEX7

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, but there's a gazillion of 'em. Even if they only remotely penetrate that market, they could easily outsell m43 and NEX combined.

On another forum, there's a guy who preordered one, and then got all offended when we pointed out that the sample shots looked like crap.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    "Tiger blood courses through the veins of Panasonic and Olympus..."

• Like Like x 2
  9. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Does Nikon Pay for all these eyeballs???? ABSOLUTELY! In order for their listing to be approved, they normally have to approve a co-marketing plan as well, have to co-pay for such marketing efforts. They also pay for all those newpaper inserts for Bricks & Morter stores etc. Totally, normal business practice. Email blasts are not expensive but not cheap either - usually about $0.02/email for the 1st 50,000 then 0.01 there after. Depends if it's a nationwide blasts or for a specific store that is having some promo or event and if Nikon chose to only send the email blasts to a certain demographic (male, female etc.).

As for the new Nikon commercial with Kutcher. Pretty painful and weird commercial to watch. The whole "huge" thing is weird as they still are marketing a pocketable'ish camera.... today in that segment, no one really wants to hear to huge when they can just plop a 8mb Iphone4s in their jacket pocket ... guess Nikon are going against the grain against miniaturization .. at least Olympus and Panasonic get that. The commercial imo didn't hit on the larger sensor when compared to std. P&S cam but just.. HUGE.. HUGE...HUGE.. i bet 99.999 of people watching have no idea what in the world is the point of the new Nikon Line..

At least when Olympus launch and highlighted this commercial was shot with the Olympus PEN.. people got that idea of high performance in a small package.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Winning!

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    oh please....his 15 minutes was up before it started. I wish the drugs would just finish him off.

12. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    It's all about the money...money...money...

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You don't like to watch a good train wreck, lol. What is the world going to do with all those old bowling shirts now??

14. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    wear to Big Lebowski festivals?

• Like Like x 1
  15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... Sorry I started something ...

G

16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Most people I know buy from best buy or wolf camera. The people who research like me buy from adorama and b and h.

17. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl: Too funny - just saw a Nikon 1 banner ad while checking this thread (was not logged in)! :rofl:

18. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Olympus has a commercial for the Pen series. I just can't remember now if it was just for the E-PL1 or the Pen camera in general, but I think they still show it from time to time. It's a girl walking around with the camera, and in the end she says something along the lines of "the best thing about this camera, is that this commercial was entirely shot using it."

Haven't seen a Panasonic ad though. Can't beat Nikon's gold cache for advertisement, I guess. Ashton is everywhere.

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Also, the Kevin Spacey series, like this one: [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vuDtcFngZc]Olympus PEN - Camera Guy - YouTube[/ame]

20. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I must fast-forward too much through commercials on my DVR. :biggrin:

I like the Spacey commercials and also the PEN Story since 1959 one, though, not sure they now have the marketing budget to run a 3 minute commercial. :biggrin: