The Portrait Thread.

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Vidar, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    "The most difficult thing for me is a portrait. You have to try and put your camera between the skin of a person and his shirt."

-Henri Cartier-Bresson

I love good portraits. But it is not easy to take them...

I want to learn how to take better portraits, and I think we need a good portrait thread here on :43:.com.

I would be glad if you will share your portraits here so we can learn from each other.

Please allow me to start with two pictures of two friends (I appreciate all feedback)

E-P1 with Kit-Zoom:
    [​IMG]

E-P1, Voigtlander Nokton 35mm at f1.4
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    Love that first one. Do you mind saying how you made the effect or what kind of filter/software was used?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Vidar,
    The 1st one has the stuff on the top edge... It draws away from the image.
    The 2nd works......
    Now it's time for eye contact....

• Like Like x 2
  4. Vidar

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Thanks. I Processed the image in Lightroom 2.5, tweaked the "temp" and "tint" untill I got the colours I liked. Then turned "clarity" down to -75..

Yeah you are right, maybe I can crop it a little better!

Eye contact? I agree.

• Like Like x 2
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I really like the first one, and the pp is great. Good use of monotone filter, and I also find that a high-key approach works very nicely on m43 (or at least on my EP1).

Here's one of mine that is a bit more high-key. I think I've posted this before, but I get lazy, and I don't like to upload pictures much, lol.

EP-1 with 50mm OM macro 2.0
    [​IMG]

On the second one, I personally find a blur/soft focus approach on a man, and especially one so scruffy, to be counter-intuitive unless, there is some tongue-in-cheek there. I like the treatment, just not for this subject, but that's just my opinion. Someone else might love it.

C'mon folks -- Vidar has invited us all to post, so let's see yours!

• Like Like x 6
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree (though didn't notice it at first). The tricky part is the leaves on the left add some framing, which might disappear with a crop. Maybe clone out the stuff on top (I'm easy with other people's time :) ). Or perhaps just a local brush work to blur or contrast the top stuff out. Maybe even increase the EV on that stuff, so it blends in more with the bright hill just below it.

7. Vidar

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway

Thanks, no problem, that is helpfull, thanks for feedback. You are right, he IS scruffy! You feel his expression is humourous, I feel it is concentrated, but maybe thats because I know he was looking for motifs to shoot with his Nikon...

The picture you posted is beautiful, good eye contact (as Shooter mentioned), it is sharp, but not too sharp, and the B&W is nice, I like it.

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    A couple of self portraits from me - admittedly with a olympus 510, but with legacy lenses

camera on tripod, light from south facing window - maybe a reflector on the first one

Nikkor 50/1.2 - think
    [​IMG]
    Self #2 by kevinparis, on Flickr

If you want scruffy I can do scruffy :)

[​IMG]
    Self #1 by kevinparis, on Flickr

Nikkor 105/2.5
    [​IMG]
    self #15 by kevinparis, on Flickr

more of my experiments here - starting to play around with flashes and umbrellas

selfs - a set on Flickr

Kevin

• Like Like x 2
  9. Vidar

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Yeah that IS scruffy:thumbup:

Love your selfportraits mr. Paris.

Whenever I try to do a selfportrait I just feel stupid and give up..

10. antithetic

antithetic Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    City of Angels
    I got a rare chance to tagalong with some much more talented photographers than myself on a shoot for a local magazine/newspaper. I took the opportunity to use some legacy glass for the shoot. They didn't move around much will allowed me to work on my focusing skills. =]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Few hundred more still to sort and process but these were some initial standouts in my eyes. Still learning so many thanks for any comments/criticism.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The first shot is spot on. Great use of natural light. The second one is good. Of course, her face is in a bit too much shadow. A reflector would have helped.

Nice opportunity and nice shots. Share more if you get them!

12. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    Good idea, Vidar!
    Here's a recent one of mine which I really like...
    Maybe it's because I rarely dabble in B&W.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Antonio