1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured The Ponies of Assateague Island

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Bristolero, Mar 26, 2019.

1. My wife and I recently made an extended trip to the US, mostly coastal California and the desert Southwest. Just prior to our return to Alaska, we flew across the country to visit our youngest daughter and her family, who live near Chincoteague Island in Virginia. Many of us in our youth enjoyed Marguerite Henry's book "Misty of Chincoteague", written about a foal that came from the famous herd of small horsed that live in the area. The ponies actually reside on nearby Assateague Island, a 37 mile uninhabited National Wildlife refuge and park. We visited the island several times to enjoy the beach with the grandkids, to bird, and to photograph its equine inhabitants.
    1903_untitled_065_DxO.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Two herds exist on the island, separated by the fence which divides the Maryland and Virginia parts. We observed the souther herd which consists of about 130 animals in total.
    1903_untitled_115_DxO.jpg
    Since their main food source is the tidal grasslands, the ponies have a somewhat more rounded look from all the fresh water they drink to dilute the excess salt from their diet. All ponies looked healthy and fairly relaxed around people, whom they are used to seeing in large numbers, especially during the summer months.
    1903_untitled_066_DxO.jpg
    Much of the existing southern herd was sired by the famous Surfer Dude, a dark brown stallion with a stupendous blond mane. Surfer Dude passed away in 2015, but his bloodline is continued by his son, Riptide, who is the dominant stallion in Virginia herd.
    1903_untitled_079_DxO.jpg
    Riptide is a splendid animal. We saw him several times, rolling, galloping around, always impressive in his attitude and appearance. Here, he comes galloping by, reminding me the benefit of a zoom lens!
    1903_untitled_081.jpg
    Growing up in remote Alaska, I've never really been a horse person. That said, I really enjoyed these ponies and the scenic seashore environment they inhabit.
    1903_untitled_122_DxO.jpg
    Twice yearly the souther herd is checked by veterinarians. Late July sees the famous Swimming of the Ponies, where a group known as Saltwater Cowboys swims the herd across the channel to nearby Chincoteague, runs them down a raceway through the town and into large holding pens. The ponies are vaccinated against disease and then surplus foals are auctioned. Since Assateague will only support a certain number of animals, the herd must be kept at a stable population, hence the auction. Surprisingly, the northern (Maryland) herd has no roundup or auction. Instead the population is checked by the administration of contraceptives, thus reducing herd fertility.
    1903_untitled_256_DxO.jpg
    One final image of Surfers' Riptide calmly munching some roadside greens.
    1903_untitled_428.jpg

And strutting his stuff near the Assateague pony pens.

Chincoteage and Assateague are really worth visiting. The birding is supposedly excellent, although, I would advise you--unlike us-- to avoid March:
    1903_untitled_487.jpg

I know we will be back to this wonderful area: birds, ponies, seashore, neat Chincoteague town, and our own special kind of beach wildlife!
    1903_untitled_186.jpg

• Like Like x 28
    • Winner Winner x 20
  2. Great photos. I certainly read the books when I was young. I thing it's great that their lineage seems well documented. I don't think there is as much concern put into the wild horses in my area.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  3. Thanks Harvey,
    I think these ponies are so well known that they have to be well cared for. My son-in-law is the CO of the small boat USCG station and responsible for keeping order during the pony swim. He says tons of people and boats. Sounds like a fun experience, but one I will never see as long as the salmon keep running in the summer.
    BTW, where do you live in Utah. We took that crazy road up the Mokai Dugway by Mexican Hat, through Hite(spectacular country), Hankville, Capitol Reef, Escalante, and on towards Zion, which was flooded and the road closed. Souther Utah--da**ed impressive!

• Like Like x 1
  4. I’m mostly west of there, only 50 miles east of the Nevada border.

5. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Lovely pics!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. dlvolk

dlvolk Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2015
    Amazing series. It's the first I have heard of this place, on my bucket list now.

7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Assateague is a great experience. We spent an afternoon there a couple of years ago. I would love to go back.

8. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Love the photos and the narrative. The latter adds context and makes the photos more meaningful. A really nice story. Thanks!

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Pretty ponies.
    Number 2 is my favourite : the backlight of course.

10. Ulfric,
    I like #2 also, but I'm really partial to the last one!

11. KeithT

KeithT Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 17, 2017
    South Africa
    Keith Temlett
    Enjoyed the narrative as much as the pics:thumbup:

12. TaoStory

TaoStory Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 12, 2014
    Benton Harbor, Michigan
    Tom Remisoski
    Thanks for posting this! I think I read every one of those books when I was a kid. I'm glad to see these beautiful animals are still thriving.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.