1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Photographer's Ephemeris

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JudyM, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    A few months ago I ran across a tool that I found interesting. It’s called the Photographer’s Ephemeris and I haven’t seen it discussed here, so I thought I’d pass along in case others might find it useful. An ephemeris is a tool that gives the position of astronomical objects. The Photographer’s Ephemeris works with Google Maps, allowing you to enter any location to get data and a graphic diagram of sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset. It also tells you the moon phase, % illumination, elevation, azimuth, and more. If you want to know when the sun will be setting over a particular harbor and from what direction, the Photographer’s Ephemeris will show you.

The Photographer's Ephemeris is available to download for free.
    The Photographer's Ephemeris | Plan your shoot

I found it helpful for planning shots even before leaving home for vacation. We rented a house on the beach at Cape Hatteras and I wanted to get a shot of the moon over the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. The Photographer’s Ephemeris told me that it would happen on Wednesday of our vacation at around 5:30 AM. As it turned out I overslept, but I did grab a quick shot out of the kitchen window of our rental home just to show that it does work. This was taken at 5:45 AM, sorry about the reflections in the window.

5809992961_e3b6280340_z.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Very nice Judy,

Already D/L to my Mac BookPro. I'll do my iPhone tomorrow. Good one! Thanks for sharing..

Alan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.