1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Phoblographer review of the Olympus 25mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by madogvelkor, Feb 14, 2014.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    • Like Like x 3
  2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Is this lens pitched as a great budget lens like the 45, or more premium lens like the 12 and 17?

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It looks like it is on par with the 45mm.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Nice to know - I have one on its way to me. Really looking forward to it.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nice to see a good review of something that's on the way.:smile:

6. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Its to see some good initial reviews of the new 25mm (though admittedly I've never cared much for the Phoblographer's reviews)

7. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I assume the lens will be similar in quality to the 45mm based on Olympus statements and the cost. These types of reviews, however, have only adjectives which is nice but they are only an opinion. One mans excellent is another mans good. From my experience, first reviewers are sometimes overly enthusiastic.

Great to see the initial positive reviews but I am waiting to hear from the standard "quantitative" reviewers so we can make more direct comparisons with other lenses in the system.

Overall, I am guessing this will be a nice lens. I am hoping it has the IQ of the PL25 (or better....).

• Like Like x 1
  8. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric

• Like Like x 2
  9. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I thought that the PL25 was one of the top must have lenses for m43 and has been for a long time. I guess the people that have them will stick with them on an EM1 body (or one of the large Panasonics) BUT if you use a smaller m43 body and it performs as good as the 45 which it looks like it does then your on a cheap winner!

I wouldn't be surprised if it out-performs the PL25 at f1.8 but they do render differently I like both but I still don't plan on selling it for the new 25. It looks like a great lens for a silver EM5 which i miss purely because of it's looks :)

10. EileenSeattle

EileenSeattle New to Mu-43

Feb 14, 2014
  11. oldgarfield

oldgarfield Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2014
    This really depends on what you are looking for. Size wise Oly 25 is still bigger and heavier, not quite pocketable. AF is faster for sure. Different focus length though.

12. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Anybody has side by side pic with the PL25? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  13. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    You can use camerasize.com to compare. The Panasnic is noticeably longer and has a wider diameter, but it seems to not matter too much for storage purposes. However, the non-reversible hood is a pain.

I have an oly 25mm due to arrive monday and soon to be reviewed and compared against my own PanaLeica, for those of you looking on the fence between the two; Hopefully I can get that out relatively soon.

Based purely on the images I've seen from other reviewers, the 25mm f1.8 looks to be as sharp or sharper than the 45mm is wide open. It also seems to have smoother bokeh than the 25mm f1.4, and renders a bit differently. Mor surprising to me though, was the contrast, which seems to be quite higher than normal for Olympus' offerings; it seemed to render a LOT like the 75mm, if not quite as sharp, whereas the 45mm is just a little duller. I'd actually say it looks a bit more like the Panasonic 25mm than the Olympus 45mm regarding contrast, but I guess I'll see for myself when I get to try it!

• Like Like x 2
  14. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I will when my 25/1.8 shows up.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  15. oldgarfield

oldgarfield Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2014
    Really looking forward to your comparison shots. I am especially interested in bokeh effects and lowlight performance.