The Perfect Shoulder Bag?

snegron

Mu-43 Veteran
Going through several pages on this forum, I lost count how many threads there were regarding bags for m4/3!

I recently purchased a G5 with two lenses, and I assumed that I could use one of my old camera bags. Boy was I wrong! My bags are either too small or too big!

I have several Lowepro shoulder bags, my smallest being a Nova 4 AW, largest is a Medium Format Commercial AW. My little G5 and lenses float too freely in my 4 AW! They work great for all my old film and DSLR equipment, but not for my G5!

I also have a top load Lowepro TLZ1, but I can only fit the camera with the attached lens; no room for an extra lens!! My old Lumix FZ50 lives comfortably in there, but definitely not my G5.

I dug through my closet and found my Nikon S2 rangefinder in its Crumpler Snauros. While the bag fits my S2 like a glove, my G5 won't even go in!!

I have several other bags including Tamrac backpacks and other medium size shoulder bags, but none are a perfect fit for my G5.

I know from personal experience (as you have probably guessed by the multiple bags I own) that there is no such thing as the "perfect" bag, but there has to be something better out there.

The Thinktank Mirrorless Mover 20 is the closest bag I can think of so far that will fit my needs (camera with attached lens plus three lenses). I searched B&H's website for bags, but the choices seem somewhat limited. I'm sure a Billingham bag will work well, but I don't want to spend more on a bag than what I paid for the camera!

Am I not looking in the right places, or are there really very few choices of camera bags built for m4/3 systems? It seems that bags are either too big or too tall for some reason.

What bag do you use?

p.s. For now I am using my Lowepro 4 AW until I find a better fit.

zcd

Mu-43 Regular
For me the Domke F-803 currently doing the job holding:

3 lenses, 2 chargers, 4 batteries, filters, lens hoods, caps, pen, cards, black rapids strap, etc.

Depending on your lenses that bag may be too tall however. I think you have a few options, have you read through the mu-43 bags thread?

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
I have two Domke bags, an F-5XB and an F-10. Just ordered a Think Tank MM10 for when I just want to bring a body and one or two small primes. The Domke F-5XB might be perfect for your G5 two-lens kit.

--
Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

snegron

Mu-43 Veteran
For me the Domke F-803 currently doing the job holding:

3 lenses, 2 chargers, 4 batteries, filters, lens hoods, caps, pen, cards, black rapids strap, etc.

Depending on your lenses that bag may be too tall however. I think you have a few options, have you read through the mu-43 bags thread?

Thanks! Seems like the F-803 might me a bit too tall.

I got through about 40 pages of the bag thread. Many good (some very original) options, but most bags shown were too tall as well.

snegron

Mu-43 Veteran
I have two Domke bags, an F-5XB and an F-10. Just ordered a Think Tank MM10 for when I just want to bring a body and one or two small primes. The Domke F-5XB might be perfect for your G5 two-lens kit.

--
Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

Thanks! The Domke F-5XB looks very nice! My only issue with it would be that the top zipper opens in the middle. If it were an open top top design I would go for it in an instant.

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
I know this isn't where you'd necessarily look for a high quality bag, but...

Porteen Gear Handmade Leather Camera Bags by PorteenGear on Etsy

I've been putting the medium size dSLR bag through its paces across two countries since last October and has held up extremely well for my OM-D, 11" ultrabook, and five lenses (9-18mm, 14mm 25mm, 45mm, 75mm) or my laptop a book, my OM-D and three lenses (14mm, 20mm, 45mm). She also has a mirrorless size, but I didn't go for it because I wanted it to fit my laptop in it too.

Custom order & designs.

snegron

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm now looking at the Tamrac 5602 as well as the Thinktank Mirrorless Mover 20. Both are in the same price range, Tamrac is a tad bit larger.

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
The middle top zipper isn't too bad to work out of. The bag has a bit of flex up top to it. I leave the zipper open and cover with the flap only.

mcumeda

Mu-43 Regular
I like the Domke F803 too. It is tall, but it is pretty easy to work out of. It isn't too tall. I am not sure of your sex, but it doesn't look like a purse, which is nice to me.

redalien

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tamas
I have a Golla bag, when I bought it it was on clearance in a store closeout sale, so got mine for 15$ and change.
Back then I only had a GF2 with a 14mm lens, but now I have a G5 as well with 25mm, 45-200mm and a nikoor adapted 50mm lens, and a Metz 44af Flash. I can fit all of those in this bag although I am stacking the zoom lens and flash in the same compartment, little tight.
There is also 3 pocket compartments, 2 outside on each end and one inside as you can see on the picture in the link. Even thou I got it on a nice discount I would still like it if I had to pay full price.

Amazon.com: Golla Focus G777 SLR Camera Bag/Case 2010 Range (Medium) - Dark Grey: Electronics

PS: i think this model is discountinued, I tried to find it on the Golla website, no luck and looks like this is the last one on Amazon.

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
Thanks! The Domke F-5XB looks very nice! My only issue with it would be that the top zipper opens in the middle. If it were an open top top design I would go for it in an instant.

Then take a look at the F-8. It might be more to your liking and about the same (exterior) size. The F-10 is bigger, but it has a flap and no top zipper. I think there's an F-9 too.

--
Sent from my Kindle Fire HD. Please pardon my brevity!

jjviegas

Mu-43 Regular
Don't forget the Lowepro Event Messenger 100, great bag for the price, and if this last doesn't matters, the Billingham Hadley Small is a must! Look what I took on a recent trip to Amsterdam:

DSC00026.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Savas K

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm sure a Billingham bag will work well, but I don't want to spend more on a bag than what I paid for the camera!

You've already spent that and more with your assortment of several lowepro shoulder bags, top loader, Crumpler, and several others including Tamrac backpacks and other medium sized shoulder bags (including your future Mirrorless Mover.) :smile:

In contrast, a Billingham Hadley Pro can be gotten for $275.00. That one bag is close to a do-it-all solution for Micro 4/3; (except in the case of an EM-5 owner with an attached full battery grip.)

Here's how the Hadley Pro handles Micro 4/3 gear.

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/packing-micro-4-3-gear-into-billingham-hadley-pro-42329/

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I have ordered the Mirrorless Mover 20 and already have the "Hubba Hubba Hiney" from Think Tank Photo. There is a small promotion going on for an add-on product for mu43 members for any Think Tank product (embedded int he link below).

Mirrorless Movers

Mine will show up later in the week just in time for a vacation (hopefully).

Alan_N

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Alan
A lot of it is down to personal prefence and how much you want to get future. I started of with just my GF1 and two lens and a flash gun and that all fitted nicely into a lowepro Nova 160 AW. I think I could get my G5 in there just the same as I could my GF1 with two lens. Thinking that was all I was going to need as I had my main DSLR system and this was when I wanted to travel lightg.

I then got a third lens and needed more space and got myself a thinktank retroppective 5 which worked great. I expanded my system more until what I now have in my sig and now use a Tenba mini messenger after reading various posts here and love the bag. This fits my G5 and all my lenes and flashgun. I only might get one more lens which will be a fisheye but think I should be able to that in as well and still have reasonable quick accress to all the equipment.

Savas K

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It appeared to me that the Tenba mini-messenger lens compartments are a very good size for Micro 4/3 lenses. Not oversized in the least. Does anyone else find this to be the case?

mcumeda

Mu-43 Regular
I also had a Tenba Mini-Messenger. It is a pretty big bag. I used to carry my DSLR stuff in one. It is a very nice bag. The build quality is great. It would be a good carry everything bag, but it is nice to shot out of because of the top zipper.

I like narrower bags like the F803 and Billingham Hadley bags. The tenba is a little wider at the bottom, but it is not that bad.

snegron

Mu-43 Veteran
Update:

I think I found a bag! :smile:

Today my wife had to make good on a promise to one of our kids (she promised the little one that if she behaved in school she would take her to her her favorite restaurant "Red Robin"). After the over priced burgers I stopped at a nearby Best Buy.

As luck would have it they had one bag that seemed to be the perfect size; a Lowepro Adventura 170. It was their last one and it was on clearance for $27.00! For that price I figured I couldn't go wrong. Turns out the G5 fits well plus two lenses (fits comfortably with lens attached in a horizontal position on one end, two lenses upright on the other end). What are the odds! Interior dimensions are 8.7W x 4.9D x 7.7H. :smile:

I can probably go with this bag for now but still have my eye on some of the others mentioned here.

MarkRyan

Instagram: @MRSallee
I recently picked up a Domke F-5XB. Good size, holds camera with lens + 2-4 extra lenses. The strap is fantastic. I wear it over my neck/arm and on my back when on my motorcycle and it holds position and doesn't flap around.

I also tried a Chrome Niko sling. It's quite small but could probably still do camera with lens + two lenses. I found the buckle a bit cumbersome on such a small bag and didn't like the plasticky material, though it should be nicely waterproof.

Latest threads

Top Bottom