The Perfect Shot on the Perfect Day!

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Mark Hilliard, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Mark Hilliard

Mark Hilliard Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I was looking for the Perfect B&W image. I had decided upon a 695nm filter (looking at a higher contrast image) on the Olympus E-PL1 Full Spectrum IR camera and was going for something moody and dark, but I just wasnt sure what it would be.

The sky had turned dark off in the distance and I finally found the shot that I had been looking for all day long. I was trying to capture the feel of the working boat out in the ocean with the crew. I wanted to taste the salt water and feel the wind on my face. The boots, rust and dirt generated an emotional attachment for me of the scene. I was hooked, drawn in. It was actually hard to raise the camera to my eyes which I just couldn't tear away from the scene before me. I worked this angle for a long time. Getting the exposure and DOF perfect. I wanted to see detail from the very back of the boat in the frame all the way to the stormy clouds off in the distance.

Post Processing proved that a FAUX image was NOT going to work here (remember my initial aim was for a stunning B&W). The image is just a detail shot of a small part of the overall boat. The sun was high and behind the starboard (right) side of the boat and if I moved back to get the entire boat it would blow the dynamic range beyond the capability of the camera plus generate lots of lens flair. I feel that the detail shot is actually better than one of the entire boat. It moves you (the viewer) closer to the subject and allows you to become one with it!

What do you think?​
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I think ya did a great job writing about the experience and image.
    The image of course says it all much better.
    What do I think?
  3. Great composition and great b&w conversion. The heavy burn in the upper left keeps the eye to the boat. Did you use Nik Silver Efex?
  4. Mark Hilliard

Mark Hilliard Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Yes, viveza then silver!