The perfect balance for each individual - IQ and portability

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Ramirez, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I´ve been suffering from GAS a lot lately (Christmas time GAS)... Been ordering stuff like the Oly 12-40 Pro Zoom and thing like that.
    Only reality can save one from GAS.

My shooting style (mostly) i stealthy (people situations when you don't want to be noticed). I remembered that today when I was in a place where a big camera with big lenses (even the Oly 12-40 lens would have been noticeable) wouldn't be appropriate. This is one of the reasons why I moved to mirror less in the first place.

The Sony A7 GAS was broken today... As the A7 with the full frame lenses would be noticed in these kind of situations.
    The Oly Pro Zoom that I ordered was cancelled.

I was reminded of the fact that in my situations (stealth which means low light, no flash, and small cameras) that I mostly rely on primes.

The Panasonic 14 f2.5 that I had on my OM-D E-M5 was the perfect equipment in the said situation (above). Sometimes I have my Fuji X100s but I wanted to use my E-M5 today.

My conclusion is that I can stop to lust after full frame monsters and big lenses. In my kind of shooting situations they never are appropriate.
    My best equipment concerning portability (I always have a camera on me wherever I am), stealth and IQ:

Fujifilm Finepix X100s for the 35mm view
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 (with only one part of the grip for ergonomics) coupled with Lumix 14 f2.5 and Oly 45 f1.8 (I don´t need a zoom when I can work both X100s and E-M5 with one of these lenses)...

Some images of my best suited equipment for me:
    DSCF2530. DSCF2531. DSCF3621.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    I had a similar revelation in regards to the A7. My two biggest reasons for getting into m43 were both related to portability. I do a lot of hiking and rock climbing, so big lenses are a serious drawback, and if the whole package is bigger, i wont take it with me as often, or wont want to dig it out to get a picture. After i realized this, and realized i had plenty of images that i love coming from my m43 set up, that the A7 would be a "waste or money" for me. Its all about our individual needs, and its important to remind ourselves that when new gear comes out. I think i will allow myself to check out the 12-32 when the price drops though. That is a pretty attractive option for a hiking/landscape lens :).

Congrats on your realization, and hope you stay strong!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Nice setup. You don't use any protective filter on the X100?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I have when I´m using the Conversion lens (which turn the X100s to 28mm eq.); otherwise I need to be careful.
  5. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Another thing that I didn´t mention in the first post in this thread. I even find my X-E1 to bulky in many situations; the lenses are too big.
    I often have my cameras hanging inside my jacket; which makes the XF lenses protrude. That´s what I like about flat lenses. X100s and E-M5 with 14 lens are perfect for me regarding this. And I can have the 45 lens in a pocket.
  6. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    When I want to hang my camera inside my jacket and have to use a longish lens, I use a sling strap attached to one of the side eyelets, not to the bottom tripod socket. That way the camera hangs on my side with the lens pointing back. I have even used a NIKON D80 with a 28-105 lens like this and it was invisible.
  7. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    That is a good possibility. But then you have a bigger weight to carry around with. With the little 14mm lens on the E-M5 or only the X100s (or even both); you can go on all day long.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Anyone have a link to a photo that has a size comparison between a MFT lens versus the 28-70 kit lens that comes with the A7?

or perhaps a Sony FE prime equivalent?

I know the lenses need to be bigger, but I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around just how much larger are the sony lenses.
  9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ

10. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have been using the Panasonic 14mm as my street lens for the last 4 or 5 months. The 28mm FOV is perfect for the street and the small pancake size is just awesome.. I have a hood around mine and also added some black tape to cover up any lettering on the camera and lens... I have both the epl5 & omd... either one is great for street... I also just picked up a Fuji x20.. I could see that working well in the streets.. just doesnt have the flip up screen...
  11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for the image!

I use camera size all the time but can't find the link that includes lenses in the comparison from their main web page. I can only find the ****script page that only compares the body. Maybe I am blind....

Wait... Just found the tiny small font link "camera with lenses!". Sheesh... that's hard to see on a 27 inch display
  12. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg,491.397,ha,t

At least the ON/OFF and shutter buttons are the same size! :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi Ramirez!

I just not too long ago received a similar "message" from myself - I had been considering (as in "dying for" :biggrin:) the Fuji X100 or X100S - and I finally realized that it really, truly wouldn't bring anything to the table for me that my E-M5 and Panasonic 20mm don't already.

Of course this pertains to just me - obviously there are differences between the two cameras and others may absolutely benefit from having the Fuji.

But for me it was just a matter of "wanting" rather than one of "needing". Being really, really old the positioning of the analog controls on the Fuji created a definite "gotta get one!" frame of mind. Probably what their marketing folks had in mind :biggrin:.

I know that it would, after the bloom wore off, end up sitting on the gear shelf with the other "gotta haves" while the E-M5/20mm combination went out to make photos.

Still...Fuji did a really nice job on that 100S :2thumbs:.

Glad you've resolved the Christmas G.A.S.!

• Like Like x 3
  14. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Well, the thing that has me salivating about the X100s is the flash sync at all speeds thing. But I do not need it enough to sacrifice the lens changing ability.
  15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I think the only FF that would press your buttons would be the Sony RX1 - fast lens, 35-ish equivalent (some say a touch wider), and a silent leaf shutter. It's a tempting idea to 'add', and in a few years I just may do that, but I don't really shoot in places where silence is a big pro (not a street shooter, don't shoot events where silence is key) so the A7r made more sense to me.

It's a great little camera, and ridiculously tiny for what it has to offer. Makes a nice pair with the E-M1 - the all rounder, fast AF, tons of customizing 'fast shooter' versus the slow and steady Sony. The high ISO performance is really impressive, though real-world, thanks to IBIS, the Oly can come very close by being able to use lower shutter speeds with fast primes, ergo lower ISO. I knew this going in, and the two complement each other greatly for my purposes, I think. Waiting on the Leica R and Contax adapters, have offers on the Canon gear, so looking good. I just wish it wasn't raining continuously here so I could see what the camera and lens can really do...because dull, gray light is always dull and gray...
  16. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
  17. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
  18. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    I just picked up a GX7 with the 20 1.7 for a small carry around after I found the x100s not as responsive as I would've liked it to be.
  19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I don't use one for mine either...
  20. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    You can "monkey" around with contrast using the LEVELS command in PhotoShop or in the free program FastStone Image Viewer ( It's amazing how much you can make "dull" colors POP using the darktones slider first, then the brighttones slider following with the midtones as necessary. Just protect the camera unless you're using an OMD with a weather sealed lens.