1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The People Were More Interesting Than The Park

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by isabel95, Oct 8, 2010.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

We went to Chimney Rock Park in North Carolina today and none of my nature shots excited me, but when I spotted this father and son, I knew I had to get at least one keeper. Only editing was very slight perspective adjustment and cropping. Picture was taken in the middle of a very sunny day. I think the E-PL1 did a fantastic job of interpreting the light. As always, I used the histogram to decide upon my exposure. I left the image the original size so you can see what fabulous quality you get from this camera/lens combination (Panasonic 20mm f/1.7_
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel95/5063550098/" title="P9070941 Father and Son on High by Isabel Cutler, on Flickr"> 5063550098_3704ba93e7_o. "2739" height="3450" alt="P9070941 Father and Son on High" /></a>

Isabel

• Like Like x 3
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Very Nice. I just got back from around that area a few weeks ago.

3. isabel95

It's a lot cooler in Chimney Rock now!

Thank you.

We've had a horrendously hot summer and the fall color is very late.

We went to the park expecting to see a lot of color and there's hardly any.

Oh well...it's a nice trip back since we live nearby.

Isabel

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    post a smaller version so we can at least see the composition on our screen.

think you need to look at some basic composition rules

5. isabel95

Here's a smaller image...

Posted it large for people to see what great quality comes right out of the camera.
    Posted a large image so people could see what great out of camera quality you get with the E-PL1. Here's a smaller image:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel95/5063550098/" title="P9070941 Father and Son on High by Isabel Cutler, on Flickr"> 5063550098_975cc2caaa_b. "813" height="1024" alt="P9070941 Father and Son on High" /></a>

As far as needing lessons in composition, I don't think so.

Isabel

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    we will have to agree to disagree on the composition thing

cheers

K

7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well, Kevin It's pretty good by my eyes. My eye travels from the tall pole to the guy then the kid and follows through to the binoculars. Maybe all that needs to be tweaked would be to straighten the pole in line with the edge of the photo and crop the top down just a tad to keep the downward angle in proportion. That's just my interpretation tho!.

I say nice job Isabel. I reckon crop the top down a bit and it will be awesome:smile:

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'd like it better if the flagpole (is it?) was vertical, and further to the left of the frame.

Is there a smiley for popcorn here??

9. isabel95

Here is my original crop that I didn't like...

I did straighten it out in my processing and cropped it severely.

For the image posted here, I left the top of the flagpole there to emphasize how high up we were. It was a subjective decision.

Here's the image I decided didn't have the impact of my final version:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel95/5064254567/" title="P9070941Original Crop by Isabel Cutler, on Flickr"> 5064254567_413306faed_b. "985" height="720" alt="P9070941Original Crop" /></a>

Some might like it better.

At any rate, I think the E-PL1 did an outstanding job with that harsh mid-day light.

Isabel

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    So the right-leaning pole is the straightened version .. or not?

11. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Isabel, you are doing a good job...I love the original and I am sure that I will enjoy all you up and coming displays of your talent.

12. isabel95

thanks, Bill. I'm truly enjoying the E-PL1 and think there's something very special about it's images.
    Isabel