The pandemic is not over

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm seeing a few posts on photography-related forums from people who say they've been vaccinated and plan to hit the road.

Please reconsider.

The CDC director says she is "very worried" and has a feeling of "impending doom" because loosened mitigation measures that are leading to a spike in cases while there is an increase in travel.

You might think you are safe because you've been vaccinated but vaccination is just one public health measure. No vaccine is 100% effective.

Be mindful of people you might encounter, such as in retail or the service industry, who wear a mask eight hours a day to wait on inconsiderste people who can't wear a mask for 10 minutes. The people helping you cannot tell you what they think of those traveling during a pandemic. They are not happy to see you.

Your pictures are not that important. If you've run out of ideas locally then that reflects poorly on your abilities. It's not ethical to put others at risk because you're bored.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
This is a really fine line. You are of course right, that no vaccine is 100% safe and if in doubt, you should postpone your travels, but on the other hand there are some serious issues related to a complete travel stop. Some places rely so much on tourism, that the livelihoods destroyed by stopping tourism and the poverty that could follow can have equal or even worse consequences. Right now, only few people have been vaccinated, but in the longterm we will have to live with the fact that there is no 100% safety.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/countries-reliant-tourism/

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Besides being only ~95% effective against the original strain, vaccines are even less effective against newer variants.

If you camp and stay outside away from others, the risk is low.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Upcoming plans............all of them with photography as a high priority

April - 1-2 camping trips (most likely car camping trips)
May - 5-6 day bike packing trip in Denali NP
June - 1 backpacking trip, 1 pack rafting trip
July - Still in planning stages but at least 2 trips (most likely bike packing and/or pack rafting)
August - Still in planning stages but at least 2 trips and probably all are going to be visiting towns I haven't been to yet like Valdez and maybe Juneau
September - Still in planning but hopefully car camping trip down the Denali Highway (a 100+ mile very remote dirt road). August and September could swap

I will be fully vaccinated in a week so not really worried about myself when it comes to trips and since the vaccine is effective against spreading Covid I feel safe that I will not spread it. Plus Alaska has opened up vaccination to everyone 16+, has 22% of the population fully vaccinated and 34% with one dose. By May most of the state should have one dose if not fully vaccinated.

I moved to Alaska for adventure and despite Covid have managed to have a lot of great adventures over the last year and looking forward to another great year. Last summer was awesome with no tourist but sucked because a lot of stuff wasn't open. This summer will still not be normal but more will be open.............will also have more tourist than last year but still not the normal numbers since all cruise ships have been canceled again this year.

Truly did pick the perfect time to move to Alaska.

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Upcoming plans............all of them with photography as a high priority

April - 1-2 camping trips (most likely car camping trips)
May - 5-6 day bike packing trip in Denali NP
June - 1 backpacking trip, 1 pack rafting trip
July - Still in planning stages but at least 2 trips (most likely bike packing and/or pack rafting)
August - Still in planning stages but at least 2 trips and probably all are going to be visiting towns I haven't been to yet like Valdez and maybe Juneau
September - Still in planning but hopefully car camping trip down the Denali Highway (a 100+ mile very remote dirt road). August and September could swap

I will be fully vaccinated in a week so not really worried about myself when it comes to trips and since the vaccine is effective against spreading Covid I feel safe that I will not spread it. Plus Alaska has opened up vaccination to everyone 16+, has 22% of the population fully vaccinated and 34% with one dose. By May most of the state should have one dose if not fully vaccinated.

I moved to Alaska for adventure and despite Covid have managed to have a lot of great adventures over the last year and looking forward to another great year. Last summer was awesome with no tourist but sucked because a lot of stuff wasn't open. This summer will still not be normal but more will be open.............will also have more tourist than last year but still not the normal numbers since all cruise ships have been canceled again this year.

Truly did pick the perfect time to move to Alaska.
I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to avoid people in somewhere the size of Alaska. The perfect place to get away from the "Impending doom".

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes, the risk of getting sick or making others sick is lowered by effective vaccination. But the risk is not zero.

If you stop for groceries you can be exposing employees. Remember them? They were considered heroes a year ago because of what they had to put with.

They are still having to put up with people who refuse to wear masks and people who think their vaccination means the pandemic is over.

News flash: the virus doesn't care about the economy. Scientists have estimated that a more complete lockdown, such as California did early on, could have saved hundreds of thousands of lives in the US alone.

A booming economy won't stop the pandemic. Curbing the pandemic will help the economy.

Let's not forget the economic toll of more illnesses and deaths.

We need to prioritize lives over the economy.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
News flash: the virus doesn't care about the economy. Scientists have estimated that a more complete lockdown, such as California did early on, could have saved hundreds of thousands of lives in the US alone.

A booming economy won't stop the pandemic. Curbing the pandemic will help the economy.

Let's not forget the economic toll of more illnesses and deaths.

But you really do have to weigh the death of thousands of small businesses against the potential for a drastic increase in virus cases at some point, and that point is getting really close. Seeing the effects of the last year on my small town that relies on tourism and restaurant industry has been very sad. I'm not saying I have the answer to how to balance it out, but it's just a really unpleasant reality that the dream of owning one's own business and determining one's destiny has been savaged while the overwhelmingly large corporations which have lots of pull with lawmakers and provide lots of jobs without much opportunity for career or personal development, and are often bad places to work with bad corporate cultures, contributing to society wide conditions like anxiety and combativeness... well, let's just say most of these corporations have had no problem pivoting and weathering the storm. In some cases, even profiting.

It just sucks. It's not the way reality should work.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
The CDC director says she is "very worried" and has a feeling of "impending doom" because loosened mitigation measures that are leading to a spike in cases while there is an increase in travel.

Yeah, that's how fear mongering works.

Do you drive? Aren't you afraid if you leave your house you'll hit someone and kill them?

Our leaders need to balance physical health, mental health and the economy. They've instead decided to pander to the lowest common denominator.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Over 500k people dead in the USA from COVID-19 and Americans still think it is just "fear mongering", no more dangerous than than driving a car. Even if there were no restrictions on driving - no driving licenses, no speeding limits, no stop signs, no traffic lights, no laws against drinking and driving, no barriers, no properly defined lanes or roadways, no proper road design, etc. - it is still a laughable comparison. But what should I expect from a country that still has no universal healthcare; it is always the risk to big business that matters most.

Here in Canada, it is not that much different, with so-called "lockdowns" and "shutdowns" that target small businesses and the social activities of individuals and yet allow big businesses to operate as normal. And of course, the second largest federal party in Canada recently voted against adding "Climate change is real" to their official policy. Just the same old neoliberal BS.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Over 500k people dead in the USA from COVID-19 and Americans still think it is just "fear mongering", no more dangerous than than driving a car. Even if there were no restrictions on driving - no driving licenses, no speeding limits, no stop signs, no traffic lights, no laws against drinking and driving, no barriers, no properly defined lanes or roadways, no proper road design, etc. - it is still a laughable comparison. But what should I expect from a country that still has no universal healthcare; it is always the risk to big business that matters most.

Here in Canada, it is not that much different, with so-called "lockdowns" and "shutdowns" that target small businesses and the social activities of individuals and yet allow big businesses to operate as normal. And of course, the second largest federal party in Canada recently voted against adding "Climate change is real" to their official policy. Just the same old neoliberal BS.
If you take a few minutes to poke around on the CDC website, you'll find there were no more deaths last year than the year before, or the year before that, or the year before that. The percentage of people who have died remained constant at about 8% per hundred thousand. The 10 or so years prior to that were 7% per hundred thousand, the main difference being that baby boomers are starting to die off at a faster rate. So, if 400,000 extra people have died from COVID, where are they?

More poking around on the CDC website will show that only 6% of the reported deaths from COVID 19 were from COVID 19 alone. The other 96% had an average of 2.5 comorbidities. That is to say, pneumonia, the flu, obesity, diabetes, pulmonary problems, pick 2.5, the list is very long. These comorbidities are typically blamed for deaths in multiple categories. Example: Someone dies from the flu, and they also were obese. The CDC reports the death on both the flu list and the obesity list. The fact is that most of these people would have died from a combination of their other afflictions, or maybe add one more. It didn't have to be COVID. Overweight, diabetic, have the flu, catch pneumonia and die. In this case if someone tests positive for COVID, even postmortem, it is added to the COVID list.

The CDC have been doing this for a very long time. The main difference is that you don't hear about it because the news doesn't report it non-stop day after day, complete with death and infection rates. Yes, the media is involved in fear mongering. Anyone who believes the media is in the business of reporting the news is fooling themselves. They are in fact in the business of making money.

The City of Chicago admitted in an interview that if someone died of a heart attack because they were afraid to go to the hospital due to COVID, it counts as a COVID death.

One of the categories for comorbidities on the CDC website is accidental and intentional poisoning or other injury. So, someone poisons you, and you test positive for COVID after you die, they add it to the COVID death rate.

None of this is speculation or, tinfoil hat, or black helicopter. It's right there for anyone who wants to spend a little time on the CDC's website to read.

Some of our Michigan counties reports that the infection rate is 5x higher than the state is reporting. 5x. That's not a mistake or an error. What happens to a death rate when 6% is diluted 5x? It becomes 1.2%. Well...that's not very sensational now, is it?

Believe what you want, I'll believe what I want. But if someone comes into this forum telling me not to go out and live my life, they can damn well expect some pushback. It's really quite simple. If someone doesn't want to hear opposing views, then they shouldn't present theirs.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom