The Panasonic 3D lens

Rider

Mu-43 Regular
What exactly is a 3-D lens? Are there any sample pics or videos?

panystac

Mu-43 Regular
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The lens throws two images onto the sensor, but because the Panasonic GH2 or G2 knows that it's a 3D lens (I tried it out the other day on the GH2, and the LCD says "3D"), it combines the shot and saves it as a 3D format image.

I will have another look today, and take some sample images.

Rider

Mu-43 Regular
Do you need special equipment to view the 3D images?

Does the Oly do this too?

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Do you need special equipment to view the 3D images?

Does the Oly do this too?
This lens only works with specific Panasonic cameras (G2 and GH2 I believe) and to view the 3D images, you have to view them on a 3D television while wearing glasses.

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
Is it safe to assume that if it works with the G2 that it will also work with the G10 (same camera more or less)?

I wouldn't be interested in viewing images on a 3D screen, but if someone processes them on dual image cards with a cheap little viewer......I would be VERY into it. I used to use a 60s stereo camera and when you showed people the stereo slides, they would just FREAK out. They wanted to know why ALL cameras didn't record still images in 3 dimensions.

So does anyone know if anyone prints and processes these "3D" files?

Herman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Panasonic has a 3D video camera, allowing 3D video shooting but NOT 3D image shooting.
The 3D lens can be used with the GH1 or G2, but the G10 is NOT supported.
3D lens plus GH1 / G2 allows 3D image shooting but NOT 3D video shooting.
I would recommend the Fujifilm 3D W3 camera, it offers both 2D as well as 3D shooting, both stills and in HD video.

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
cool. You just saved me a couple hundred dollars with that info.

And shame on you Panasonic for not making it play nice with all your cameras.

stinky_shirt

New to Mu-43
Can anyone verify if this lens can work with gh1? From my reading it can only work with gh2 and g2. I would love to give it a try especially modded to capture 3d video

may able to attract new client, more money equal to more new lenses:biggrin:

Spuff

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hey All,

I assume the 3-D lens produces an image like this at Flickr?

IMGP4024_5_6_7_8_A_HDRI_tonemapped | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

You can see 3-D simply by positioning your eyes about 15 in (or a bit more or less) from the computer monitor screen crossing and then slowly uncrossing them (or slowly cross them) until you see 3-D.
-
That's a cool effect. I can see it clearly with that method - it's a bit like lucid dreaming.
But what I see is like a collage of bits cut out and positioned at different distances, each area being on a flat plane. It's not like 3d reality at all.
Is the new generation of 3d camera images viewed on a 3d TV different?

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
3D without glasses

Is it safe to assume that if it works with the G2 that it will also work with the G10 (same camera more or less)?

So does anyone know if anyone prints and processes these "3D" files?
It will not work with the G10. There are three companies doing lenticular 3d printing. Currently you need a 3D TV. Crossing your eyes will not work.

This may be a bit off topic, but here's a very strange way to watch 3D without glasses.....
[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uef17zOCDb8]YouTube - 3D No glasses by Jonathan Post[/ame]

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom