The Panasonic 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6 Updated

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
This was mentioned somewhere deep in the string about Panasonic having an announcement on April 7th. The big news was the introduction of the G90/95. But Panasonic has updated the 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6 superzoom.

It seems the improvement is essentially the addition of weather resistance, which will be much welcomed. But I wonder if perhaps this revised lens might be a bit less sensitive to shutter shock on older Panasonic bodies. Of course the release doesn't mention the subject...

Updated Panasonic Lumix G 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 lens is splash and dust resistant

I still have the ancient 14-140mm f/4-5.8 superzoom. That is decidedly not sensitive to shudder shock. But the f/3.5-5.6 version of the lens is faster throughout its focal range, a bit better optically and lighter than my lens.

But it is also responsible for a number of Panasonic cameras being blamed for shutter shock when the primary problem was the lens. Of course, it's not on issue on any Panasonic camera after the G7 and GX8 because of the new shutter system.

This new lens seems worth considering at $599 U.S. It's due out at the end of May and preorders are being taken.

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
I've been hoping Panasonic would update this lens with weather-sealing. There's a lot to like about it. I wish it were less expensive and sharper at the long end, though. And I wish Panasonic's press release exuded more confidence in the new weather-sealing!

It seems to me that the advantages of this lens over the Oly. 14-150 II are its size and that it's more even across the frame. My copy of the Oly. was much less expensive when I bought it, is sharper in the center, and is quite good in the long half of its reach. However, it can be downright mushy at the wide end away from center. I've come to rely too much on the Oly. lens when traveling, so am thinking about trying the new Panasonic or the Oly. 12-100 f/4 for better landscape photos, despite their cost. Or, I could carry more gear: add my 12-32 and maybe even the 40-150 R to my travel kit or stick with primes for wide shots. I can really overthink this and probably will. :sleep:

By the way, it appears that some people are already confused by Panasonic's new product. :) This new lens is officially the Mark II 14-140, since the lens it updates - though many have called it the 14-140 II - isn't an update to the old 14-140 f/4.0-5.8, but a replacement.

Last edited:

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have the original f3.5 14-140, having bought it because it's much lighter than my previous f4. I see no significant optical difference. Weather sealing is of limited interest to me, so my main interest in this announcement is how much of a hit the value of my current lens took, as I may sell it to get the 12-200.

Re shutter shock I set up a pretty well controlled test with the lens on a GX7 shooting the Air Force test target. I could not detect any "shutter shock" at all. Not that it is completely an OWT, Isaac Newton tells us that, but I think it is more something for paranoids to chew on than being a factor in real photography. I also find it interesting that we never worried about it for routine work with the old Hassies and Bronicas and their huge mirrors. We only locked the mirrors up for very long exposures and then the Bronica's focal plane shutter still didn't seem to be a concern.

Apollo T.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’m curious....just how is a lens made weather resistant? Is there a “widget” added between the lens and body? Is the size + shape altered just enough to change the seal at the body/mount? Why can’t/don’t mfrs make a retrofit kit so current owners/loyal customers can add this feature to our current versions of this(or other) lenses?

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
I’m curious....just how is a lens made weather resistant? Is there a “widget” added between the lens and body? Is the size + shape altered just enough to change the seal at the body/mount? Why can’t/don’t mfrs make a retrofit kit so current owners/loyal customers can add this feature to our current versions of this(or other) lenses?

Usually rubber or silicon gaskets are added to the design. Definitely where the lens meets the body and mount, and sometimes inside where the barrel zooms. I'm sure that last gasket helps but zooms by definition suck air in and out as they move to different focal lengths. So at least some moisture or dust remains a possibility - even if much less so than without the gasket.

Why no retrofitting? Why ask why? As always... follow the money. :)

Apollo T.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Usually rubber or silicon gaskets are added to the design. Definitely where the lens meets the body and mount, and sometimes inside where the barrel zooms. I'm sure that last gasket helps but zooms by definition suck air in and out as they move to different focal lengths. So at least some moisture or dust remains a possibility - even if much less so than without the gasket.

Why no retrofitting? Why ask why? As always... follow the money. :)

Of course the OEMs have a small interest in not making retrofits.
Why hasn’t someone else come up such a kit?
A third party solution like 3rd party flashes, filters, and oh yeah 3rd party lenses.
I own one of these 14-140s which lives on my Lumix G6. I’d be interested. I imagine I’m not the only one.

Latest threads

Top Bottom