1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The Pana-Leica 15mm 1.7 - Its new to me!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DigitalD, Sep 21, 2015.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Hello all, I haven't posted in awhile but thought I would share some photos from my new lens. I let go of my Oly 17mm 1.8 awhile ago as I never really bonded with it and wanted the funds for something else. I then tried the 20mm 1.7 v2 from Panasonic but after a pretty good first impression, over time the slow focus in low light started to kill it for me. In the meantime after a sale of some lenses I picked up the PL Nocticron 42.5 1.2 and boy did I not regret it. I found myself grabbing it and the PL 25mm often. But I still needed something at the wide end for a nice trinity to focus on. Thats when I found the PL15mm, that I did not know existed the last time I was looking for a 30-40mm equivalent. When I started to read more about the PL 15mm released a few years ago I decided to try and find a good used copy. I finally got my hands on one at a price I could swallow. A practically brand new copy with box, hood and caps for around $400. I am a huge fan of the other 2 lenses in this Pansonic/Leica relationship so I was really excited to round out the offering in my bag!

fonsecafoto-15mm17-0006-L.

I totally understand that this lens has a lot to live up to and has quite a bit of competition. The 17mm is a no brainer for many. The 20mm is quite nice for the size and price. The 14mm 2.5 beats them all on price. But Im not usually one to buy the cheapest just because. I like to use a lens and feel awe when the moment is captured just right. I also like character in a lens over perfection and price.

fonsecafoto-15mm17-0013-L.

The PL15mm did not disappoint and so far I am very impressed. This little lens has a lot to offer. The sharpness is fantastic. Lots of micro contrast and detail as well. The color renders a lot like the PL25 which I have always loved. The size is good. Not as compact as the 17, not as short as the 20, but a good size that is great for carrying all day.

fonsecafoto-15mm17-0010-L.

Yes, the FOV is not typical. Its not quite wide, not quite normal, and not quite a 35mm. But what I do like is there is good separation in FL compared to the 25mm. Gives a better sense of purpose when reaching for it in the bag. Distortion and vignetting is there and I haven't found a profile for it in LR yet so I made my own. I am shooting all of these lenses on a EM5mkII so there is a bit of labor removing CA from the files. The CA characteristics are very much like the PL25mm again so using my settings for that lens seemed to do the job just fine.

fonsecafoto-15mm17-0016-L.

fonsecafoto-15mm17-0004-L.

fonsecafoto-15mm17-0017-L.

I happen to like the FOV very much. More so then I expected. To me its just right when I want something small, lightweight and fun. This is not reserved only for this lens, I had fun with the 17mm too. Having a small wide lens allows you to get close and interesting with subjects, and I like that.

fonsecafoto-15mm17-0021-L.

fonsecafoto-15mm17-0029-L.

I hope to do a small write up on the trinity soon as they are now permanent fixtures in my bag so when I collect enough samples I will be back! Thanks for looking!

• Like Like x 15
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Boneyard

Boneyard Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    I have the PL trinity you listed and all are fantastic lenses.

I find since adding the 15, my 25 doesn't get nearly the walk around use anymore. I get more or less the same kind of photos with the 25 & 42.5; but the 15 is something wholly different and I love having it in my bag.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Yes Im afraid of that. Maybe the trinity should be 15,42.5,75? Time will tell!

4. Engawa

Engawa Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2014
    Thanks for this post. I love my 14mm and I love my 20mm, but I was thinking maybe I can replace them both with the 15mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Great shots! If I had the dough, this lens would be in my "stable" right now!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    if you can sell off the 14mm and 20mm, i don't think you'll regret getting the 15mm to replace them. ;)

7. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    I second that!

8. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    The PL15 was the first lens I bought for the GX8, and the PL42.5 Nocticron is next on the list!

9. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Engawa

Engawa Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2014
    I think I will definitely pick one up.

11. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I'm tempted to switch out my 17mm to try the 15mm. But I have a feeling the cost of upgrade isn't worth it for me

12. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    The PL15/PL25/PL42.5/O75 are all awesome primes. It's a great set to have.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I have a P14 that I got because it's super light and tiny. Sometimes that's very important to me. I like it and use it regularly, but in my occasional pixel peeping moments I'm less than thrilled with it's sharpness. In looking at viable alternatives, the 15mm seems like the perfect alternative. But I've wondered why the 15mm doesn't seem to get much love on this forum relative to some other lenses. Is it just a price issue or is there some other reason?

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've heard nothing but praise for it on this forum! I think the common hesitations are the price and the "odd" focal length, but I haven't heard many complaints from owners. It's also a relatively new lens, only being released mid 2014.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have the 15/025/45/75mm I feel like there's one too many lenses and I hardly ever take both telephotos. I think if I had the f1.2 it would be even worse. I find that in most cases, if I can use the 45mm, I can use the 25mm. But the reverse is not true. And if I need a telephoto, it is usually for the greater subject isolation, reach and compression, which means the 75mm is better.

I guess I'm saying I think a trio is actually just as useful, and often streamlines decision making. Simplicity is a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    A dear friend who recently passed away gifted to me his two µ43's lenses, the P/L 15mm and 42.5mm.
    I was shooting with three Oly lenses at the time. the 17mm, 45mm, and 75mm. I was so blown away by the wow images I got from my gifts that I sold the three listed above. The only regret is the 75mm F1.8. While I feel the P/L 42.5 is the perfect portrait lens that just has such fantastic character that I thought my Oly 60mm macro could work as my short telephoto. While the 60mm is fantastic it doesn't have the magical character that the 75mm has. I fear I will have to buy that lens again! :coffee-30:
    Bobby

• Like Like x 2
  17. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Sorry for your loss but Im sure he is very happy his gear is bringing you happiness. I have to admit I just recently acquired the 75mm from a member at a price I just couldn't let pass by again. Today is my first day with it. A lot smaller then I expected. I am extremely excited to see what it can do!

I think price has been the primary factor. The 17mm is a real solid performer and very sharp with not only quick focusing but a clutch engaged manual focus ring with range markings. Quite a lot of punch for a lens with only 2mm and less then half a stop difference at about $150 less brand new? Not to mention a few lenses that surround that focal length that are even more budget conscious like the 14mm 2.5 ad 20mm 1.7. Then there are several zoom lenses that all cover the FL. So quite a crowded space! Plus most shooters believe we are good with the normal-wide primes and that the system needs more longer focal length primes so when this came out not many people were very excited about it.

But I think they did a very good job keeping up with the level of quality and Leica-like characteristics they introduced with the 25mm and the 42.5 that makes it a very good addition to the line IMHO. Im a sucker for unique character so the odd focal length is fun for me. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I've come to the conclusion that the gap between 15 and 42.5 is not too large for me: I don't miss the 25 at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I miss the 75mm more than I'll ever miss the 25mm!
    Bobby

• Like Like x 1
  20. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I had the 75, but it was just too long for me. Maybe because I'm in Europe - everything's closer together here :)

I replaced it with the Sigma 60, which was great. However, I find I use these longer teles less than I thought, so now I just have the 42.5.