The other Topaz bits, any good?

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
My conclusion..... it was designed for a planet other than earth since the sky colors were more green than blue. OR. the AI is a 2 year old.
Yes, at 100% strength A-AI seems to over accentuate the green in the skies for some reason. I typically have my favorite pre-sets saved at 50% or less opacity and that seems to work better while still retaining the improvements I have observed. YMMV.

100%
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

50%

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
I bought the Utility AI bundle and further tested Sharpen AI (standalone application). The results continue to impress me. I use it mainly for motion blur/stabilization correction. It isn't perfect - it's quite slow and "sharpens" (adds artifacts in) some areas that intentionally lack detail - but none of that seems unusual to me or hard to deal with. In fact, Sharpen tends to smooth grainy bokeh rather than add artifacts. The ability to protect parts of the image would be nice - maybe I'll request that. To my surprise, the first three or four images I passed through Sharpen AI caused it to crash when saving to TIF/TIFF - but Topaz Labs support has been very responsive, courteous, and clear about their steps toward fixing the problem. :)

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
The ability to protect parts of the image would be nice
That would be nice.

As a work-around, if you call AIS from a host editor (eg Affinity Photo) you can mask off areas you don't want processed wherever that is feasible.

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
Oh, yeah - I can call Sharpen AI from Studio 1 and use a layer mask. Took me a few tries, but I got it working alright (mask transparency didn't work). And it didn't crash like the standalone process! Thanks a mil, Jerry!

Drdul

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
I just sprung for Sharpen AI after testing it for a week. At first I was not impressed, but after a couple of dozen images I figured out how to use it. In general, it does a good job (and sometimes a spectacular job) on low-ISO images with a small amount of motion blur and/or slightly out of focus. Despite Topaz’s claims that it can sharpen up to 10 pixels of blur, I’ve found that it makes a mess of images with larger amounts of motion blur or out-of-focus areas. And if there’s too much noise, it exaggerates the noise. But knowing what it can do and using it on the right kind of images, it’s worth the money.

OldRadioGuy

Enthusiast Amateur
Real Name
Bob
The old Topaz plugins are being converted to filters in its editor, Topaz Studio, now in version 2. The filters are excellent, all with an excellent smart brush when applying a mask. The latest version was released without some of the features in 1, such as being able to add a second image as a layer. The old plugins would run in version 1 but not in 2. It seems bringing those features to version 2 is not a priority. TS is really an editor designed for folks who do a lot of image manipulation and other creative things. For raw images, one needs to convert in good raw software before bring to Topaz Studio.

The AI products have potential, but most have been released with bugs.

Topaz AI Gigapixel is stable and works well. I've been using it on a bunch of small scanned family images I've received from relatives for adding to a genealogy collection and have been pleased with the results.

Topaz JPEG to RAW AI has been acclaimed by testers. But on my iMac system, it crashes. Topaz says that problem is the metadata in the image. But who wants to have to take the extra step of removing the metadata before processing?

Topaz Denoise AI appears to be very good in my tests. Some users contend it is better than Prime in DxO PhotoLab. I haven't compared it enough to make that statement.

RAH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rich
This is an old thread, but I just came upon it, so I'll add my 2-cents about Topaz Sharpen AI - it is excellent. I really only use it for images that need special handling (out-of-focus; subject movement, etc) (for regular sharpening I use the Topaz Detail regular plugin or part of Studio 2). SharpenAI really can do sharpening that other tools cannot, IMHO. For example, if you have some old negatives that you scanned from 1953, and everyone is slightly oof, Topaz can do a great job of restoring some of the sharpness. Lousy shots from cheap cellphones can also be greatly improved. It's just a great tool to have in your arsenal.

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Especially interested in the Gigapixel
I have Gigapixel and have been quite happy with it. I have used it to upsize some images to twice their size (2 x length, 2 x height, 4 x MP size) and have found the results to be very good, better than any other resizing software I have used.

It takes some time to process large images but the result is worth it provided you don't have too many images to process. They do have a trial period so you can give it a spin for free.

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
I tried an old jpeg photo

using gigapixel

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom