The other Topaz bits, any good?

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Having read the Topaz NR tread, and somewhat gotten my mind blown over the results, cherrypicked as they may be. I am more than a bit curious about the rest of the stack of them holds up?

Especially interested in the Gigapixel and JPEGtoRAW AIs, as I have quite a lot of older shots taken on 3 and 6 MP cameras in glorious JPEG.

For the most parts, they are as big as the cameras allowed them to be, but sometimes the wife did stuff under the motto of "Hey, did you know you can get 2500 pictures on this card" and some of that could be worth saving in a not so thumbnail size, hence the question. :)

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
Having read the Topaz NR tread, and somewhat gotten my mind blown over the results, cherrypicked as they may be. I am more than a bit curious about the rest of the stack of them holds up?

Especially interested in the Gigapixel and JPEGtoRAW AIs, as I have quite a lot of older shots taken on 3 and 6 MP cameras in glorious JPEG.

For the most parts, they are as big as the cameras allowed them to be, but sometimes the wife did stuff under the motto of "Hey, did you know you can get 2500 pictures on this card" and some of that could be worth saving in a not so thumbnail size, hence the question. :)
No idea, was looking for Black Friday sale of Denoise & Sharpen (I do have Dxo too), but they only have sale of 50% of the whole bundle. :(

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
Very interesting software with the Black Friday sale! I'm giving it some thought, but don't have much time to test it.

Sharpen AI looks quite useful, if it's reliable - given that it uses a learning AI. JPEG to RAW AI looks great for taking care of banding and other artifacts, but I wonder if there are other tools that can do as well with 16-bit TIFFs. So far, I've only looked at avoiding banding through better noise reduction and demosaicing.

I have a concern about DeNoise AI: While it looks great, I can't help noticing that all of the examples on topazlabs.com only suffer from luminance noise - not chrominance. How well does it do with really noisy pics? What I can find suggests to me that Topaz isn't so great on its own - it's better as a companion to other NR software, like DxO PhotoLab.

Gigapixel AI looks like it does a great job. Maybe Mask AI, too. Adjust AI, though - that one's not for me.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
From personal experience, Denoise-AI does NOT do well with chroma noise. It can work well on it's own with luminance noise, depending on the image, or in conjunction with DxO Prime NR. It can occasionally produce subtle weird artifacts when the AI gets confused but usually works ok.

Ironically, in my experience, Sharpen-AI works best in Stabilize or Focus mode (not sharpen mode) depending on the image.

Mask-AI is currently buggy and feature lacking compared to its legacy ancestor.

Adjust-AI can work well when you learn how to tweak it...typically reducing the strength to something less than 100%. However, I got that one as a free upgrade having owned the legacy PS plugin (the company is very generous with their upgrade policy).

I don't own Gig-AI or Jpg2Raw.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sharpen AI is the best sharpening software there is. No white edges added any more. In Stabilize mode it sharpens things you can't believe are sharpenable.
Gigapixel is amazing for enlarging small images or in cases where a lot of cropping is needed.
The other tools are less impressive.

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use Topaz Clarity quite a bit. It works really well on landscapes and city scapes but can add a bit noise to an image, more so on m4/3 than on APS-c.

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I downloaded Adjust AI. Topaz provided it to me for free since I had purchased the original adjust when it first came out like 7 years ago. When you buy from Topaz you pay once and get all the updates for free, at least so far. I have been experimenting with it. Some of it I like, some of it I don't. Will share some before and after photos once I play with it a bit more. I can tell you right now it does not play well with a Mac Magic Mouse; very jumpy. Also very slow to load on my 8-year old iMac.

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
I once had Topaz Simplify and liked it a lot. But it seems they don't sell that anymore?
It is now part of Topaz Studio 2.

Basically the new range of AI tools such as Sharpen AI, Gigapixel AI and Denoise AI all require a modern computer with a fast processor and/or a fast video card.

The other tools have been progressively incorporated into the single product called Topaz Studio 2. It doesn't need a very modern computer. Most of them are in it now.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
I once had Topaz Simplify and liked it a lot.
If you owned any other Topaz plugins besides just the one you might have enough credits to get TS2 at a greatly reduced price. If you can still login to your account there is a link that will show you what credits you are eligible for and your upgrade cost, if any (mine was free). If you're interested I'll dig up the link for you. BTW, the Simplify plugin still works; I use it with Affinity Photo (or TS2 or PS). Support can look up your license key if you can't get logged in; you just need to recall the email address you signed up with.

bjurasz

Mu-43 Veteran
Good to know my plug-in will work with Affinity Photos. Will have to try. But with my luck the plug-in is a 32-bit application and won't work once I update to Catalina. :(

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Good to know my plug-in will work with Affinity Photos. Will have to try. But with my luck the plug-in is a 32-bit application and won't work once I update to Catalina. :(
You can look that up in the System Report (Apple menu/About This Mac) -choose Software/Applications in the sidebar.

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
I passed on the Black Friday sale, but am now waiting for an upcoming Christmas sale. In the mean time, I trialed most of the AI apps. First impression: the downloads are huge! And yet the apps are very easy to set up and use. As I expected, Adjust AI didn't interest me. Unfortunately, JPEG to RAW AI completely let me down. But Sharpen AI deftly and instantly turned the blurry images I threw at it into perfectly focused wonders. DeNoise AI is also phenomenal: it didn't catch hot pixels, but did easily defeat both luminance and chrominance noise while preserving fine details and even leaving a nice fine grain if I wanted that. (Strange patterns occurred if the sliders weren't correctly adjusted.) I'm not just impressed - I'm floored. Gigapixel AI gave a lousy result on the first try for some reason, but then did a very good job with my old family photos. It oversharpens a bit, but the source images are already oversharpened - so no matter. (I'll try Mask AI and Studio 2 another time.)

Edit: Topaz Studio 2 trial downloaded and installed - but when I run it, it interrupts my login and tries to install more of itself and fails. Uninstaller says it's beta software. :confused: Seriously??

Last edited:

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
Thanks, Jerry! I've been checking the home page about every day, but still wouldn't have noticed the sale unless you pointed it out! For one thing, trying to sign up for these announcements clearly didn't work. (I got a red X on the Black Friday page when I submitted my e-mail address.) For another, I have to navigate to the store/shop page to see the sale prices. Worth waiting for: even the bundles are marked down! :yahoo:

thazooo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dana F.
I received the update to adjust AI because of the previous version I bought. My conclusion..... it was designed for a planet other than earth since the sky colors were more green than blue. OR. the AI is a 2 year old. :) Sharpen, Detail, DeNoise are great.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom