The Osborne Bull

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by angloasturian, Nov 4, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Originally a sign to promote ‘Veterano’ brandy, these 14 metre high bulls were placed near main roads, usually on hills so they stood out against the skyline. In 1988 new traffic regulations dictated the removal of the name but the bulls remained. Then in 1994 further laws tried to have them removed – and there was a national uprising! Finally in 1997 the Supreme Court ruled that they should be allowed to remain owing to their ‘aesthetic and cultural interest’
    There are 90 of them unevenly distributed throughout Spain (Asturias has 5 – this one is about 5km from me).
    I’m sure you’ve heard of Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz. Their first film together (and her first film) was called ‘Jamon, jamon’ (Bigas Luna 1992) – literally ‘Ham, ham’. This bull featured prominently in one of their love scenes.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Great film, I didn't notice the bull ... might have been distracted.

• Like Like x 2
  3. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I love these toros, I always enjoy seeing the first one when crossing the border. Thanks for the info on them, I didn't know there were only 90 of them left.

Stefan

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Colin, ever the bearer of interesting cultural history, with photos! So am I correct that they're "bullboards" (sorry...sort of:tongue:) - at first I thought they were large statues!

Of course I know those two actors well, but I haven't seen that film yet...but when I do, I shall remember to keep an eye out for the bull.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Good one BB - very punny! :biggrin: They make love on an old sofa under one of these bulls.

6. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Thanks for this background, I didn't know there were so many dotted around Spain. There is one on the coast near to us on the Costa del Sol and it's been there for the last 30 years plus! I remember seeing one in Jerez too I think.

• Like Like x 1