1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Orton Effect

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Phocal, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    So I discovered a new effect to apply to photographs, it's referred to as the Orton Effect. Basically it is combining two overexposed photographs of the same scene, just one is in focus and the other is out of focus.

Here is a link that explains it a bit more and how to accomplish it via separate or one exposure: http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0106/dw0106-1.html

Here is a link to the Orton's website: http://www.michaelortonphotography.com/ortoneffect.html

I may explore this a bit more so starting this thread to post my experiments, feel free to add your own photographs as well. All conversations about this technique or feedback on my images are greatly appreciated and welcomed.

I really want to explore shooting specifically for this technique. Either taking several exposures to combine in PS or having the camera do double exposures. But, I do realize that just taking one photo and doing the software method will normally be a lot easier (especially trying this with wildlife, which is what I mostly shoot).

Ronnie

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Taken with my EM1 and ZD 50-200 SWD. This is actually the first photo I have ever taken with the 50-200 that did not have the 1.4TC attached, had to remove it because I was to close. Created from a single exposure using the PS method.

The Square Wave

• Like Like x 3
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  4. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks for the link. It's a bit different then how I did it and will have to give it a try. I keep finding different ways to achieve the effect but they all come out a bit different. Will be messing with the different ways and doing some mods to come up with my own way.

You are correct, just like HDR......not bad as long as it's not overdone.

5. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    You piqued my interest in this processing. I think it can be a technique for some specific graphical purposes. I will have to keep it in the back of my mind if the need arises.

Here is an attempt. I just randomly picked an image to see what I could do with it. Also, I added a second blur layer to the sky to fade it out even more.

Original:
    16095001413_7b8ea5339d_b. bridges

Orton:
    16527534630_0cee8dde97_b. bridges-orton

• Like Like x 3
  6. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I agree, not for every shot but a trick to keep of your sleeve for the right image. I like your final image.

7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks.

I like your image. It almost gives the feeling of an encaustic painting. I think yours would make a nice print.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks and it does.

9. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Interesting technique. Specific uses, but could get a great result if not overdone (as already pointed out). Thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 1
  10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thanks for posting this. I love your image of the tree and its reflection. I must give it a try.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thank you and you are welcome

12. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Nice photo. Here is one with a bit more subtle application of the Orton effect.
    10505081925_63e1e650d8_b.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Nice application of effect

14. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Hmmmmm... I want to try it, but I don't have PS. I wonder if Photomatix Pro will do it?

15. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Pretty much any software that allows layers should work.

16. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I didn't realise this had a name. I played around with this effect in high school when I first started messing around in Photoshop 10 years ago.

1) Clone original layer -> Gaussian blur -> Screen blend
    2) Clone original layer -> Multiply blend

Then change the opacity of layers 1 and 2 (favouring 1) on top of the original to get the desired look.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Wow, that looks really good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    First attempt...

orton_attempt.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thank you. I also used the E-M1's Live Comp mode. That's a great tool for manipulating lighting on still life shots.

• Agree Agree x 1