1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The only thing I'd like to see on a new OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Feb 24, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    How about a slightly more pronounced grip. One big reason I moved my OMD onward as the grip. Once I added the HLD-6, it got big (and expensive), and I was just as likely to grab my full frame DSLR. If it had a better, finger-catching grip, the HLD6 would be unnecessary, and it would be smaller. Or, the changeable grip, like the EP3.

• Like Like x 2
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I am the opposite, I prefer not to have a pronounced grip. Well, an optional, detachable one would be OK. I would like to see the video capabilities brought in line with its competition. And, the next gen sensor. It will be interesting to see if Olympus brings out an OM-D E-M7 when the hybrid 4/3's :43: debuts in the fall. Until the fall, I am hoping the spring debut of the E-Px will be an EVF rangefinder.

3. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    I'd like wifi so I can transfer photos wirelesslyAnd to pc or direct to Internet.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'd like to see a range of color options like Pentax has for the Q10.:biggrin: Maybe even an Evangelion version . . .

5. Only one thing? How about that nice option to permanently select the smallest focus box like it's two younger brothers (E-PL5, E-PM2) can. Come to think of it, you'd hope that that should be possible to add to the current E-M5...

• Like Like x 3
  6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Slappy, There are a couple of fancy SD cards that can do that for you and I'm pretty sure that the OMD is set up to use them.

7. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Is this the answer you're looking for... I once, ask that question ...

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/focusing-area-om-d-e-m5-30235/

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The grip setup is perfect as it is (it worked fine with my similarly gripped SLR for 20 years).

No, what I'd liked to see is the monitor style the E-3 and E-5 had, where you could swivel the monitor around so it's protected from being scratched...this should have been done on the E-M5 considering it has an EVF and it's supposted to be a pro camera! It was STUPID of Olympus to bring back the tilting monitor that the E-330 had!

• Like Like x 1
  9. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I had the HLD6 but it changed the camera to a larger footprint.

Picked up the Gariz 1/2 case and that helped quite a bit.

10. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I don't mind the grip as it is. I use half the CS36B case which beefs up the grip nicely and protects the camera as well, or if I use a flash or heavy accessory, I put on half or the whole HLD6. I like to have the choice from skinny to fat depending on usage.

The one thing I would like to see is the ability to screen touch focus while taking videos.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The case really helped? How so? Is it just grippier, or does it somehow add more meat?

12. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    It does give you a little more meat to hold on to, and the leather is less slippery.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I had a half-case for a while as well, but I now have the JB grip, which I really like: more grip, but very little more bulk.

On topic, the permanent small focus box would be nice.

Physical dials for aperture and shutter speed, a la X100, would be perfect.

Or a Pen with EVF ...

14. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    For the next OMD, I'd like perhaps slightly better ergonomics, but I'd rather the size not get any bigger (I feel the add-on grip is perfect for when I do want the bigger size). I'm sure I won't complain about whatever additional improvements they add to it.

15. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I like the grip being optional, the JLM is my grip of choice. The only two things I'd like (aside from the obvious better sensor or AF tech) would be a flat top rangefinder style and a persistent small focus area.

16. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I use an EyeFi card in my OM-D and it works great. It won't send photos directly to the net but it will transfer them to my iPhone or iPad wirelessly. Then I can make any adjustments and then share them to whatever site I like.

17. Thanks, but that is not quite the same as the implementation on the new Pens. Those cameras allwo you to set a small focus box that doesn't require a press of the magnify button when the camera starts up or when you go into the Super Control Panel. Also, when you do select the smaller box on the E-M5 and other older Pens the arrow keys change function and move the focus point around the screen. Any other functions that were assigned to them (ISO speed or White Balance for example) don't work in this mode.

18. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    I have two:

1. Tethering, for product photography.

2. On sensor phase detect autofocus, or something, to allow the use of the 4/3 lenses with fast auto focus.

19. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    How about a bigger function button on the back. Personally, I liked the older style olympus connector cover for access to the USB. I usually have to pull the LCD out to remove that cover. Fortunately, you don't have to do that very often. Support for legacy lenses that makes the AF usable would've been sweet. Other than that, I'm in love with this camera. Simply awesome.

20. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would love better video quality.