The "Only m43 could do the job!" thread

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by pheaukus, Jul 16, 2012.

1. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Over the weekend a simple question has lead to an intriguing and heated debate about professional use of m43.
    That thread has become an interesting read about the profession, covering a wide variety of gear, methods, people and attitudes.

How about a thread in which serious photographers - pro or not - state: Only m43 could do the job !
    Tell us the story of a project. Let us know why did it with m43. Show some results!

Rule:
    All entries should be respected as strictly personal views. Posts should be valued as shared insight into the photographic method of an individual photographer.

2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Not sure if you are talking about technical capability, but I'd definitely submit this. (And no, I'm not a pro. Maybe not even a serious one. Maybe an enthusiast. Sorry if I broke a rule :smile:)

7206907640_b28a64f12f_c.

My daughter, in all her 5 long years of life, would never smile like this with anything bigger than the E-PM1 (definitely not with the Canon Rebel, a Nikon DSLR, not even with the E-PL2! I'm still trying with the E-PL3 though. :biggrin:).

• Like Like x 2
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The sub-amateur here cannot think of anything I have shot in m4/3 that I couldn't have done with another platform. But... there are things I probably wouldn't have done, for example, if I only had a big FF DSLR and left it at home.

• Like Like x 2
  4. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    No rules broken :smile:
    I was thinking in terms of general capability. But in a way, technology enabled us to meet that smile :thumbup:

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Heh, can I submit a picture of my Thinktank Retrospective 5 loaded with 3 prime lenses, 3 zooms covering UWA to long telephoto, batteries, memory cards and accessories? I don't see that happening with a DSLR and lugging it all over the place on vacation :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  6. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    How about a vacation assignment: find out what 'only m43' can give you in terms of pictures. When you come back, show us what you got! :wink:

7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Half way up Federation Peak in Southwest Tasmania. Here's bushwalking legend John Chapman's description in his guide to hiking Southwest...

"While it is only 1300 m high (just over 4000 feet), Federation Peak is surrounded by cliffs. These cliffs reach 600m to the north and south and the only feasible approach is along the two razorback ridges. Even then, the final 200m is a near vertical climb. It is normally climbed without ropes but this is dangerous. There have been several fatalities already." (Chapman 2010)

This was taken with a GH2 + Lumix 20mm (shot with one hand while the other held of for dear, dear life). There's no way in hell I would have lugged my previous E-3 + 12-60 SWD up there, let alone pulled it out of it's bag and taken the shot...

Nick Stacey getting high...
    6678193643_0a87082328_o.
    P1080518 by nickthetasmaniac, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'll let you know in October :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  9. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    'Lets you live' clearly is an irreplaceable feature :bravo-009:

// those rocks look brittle

• Like Like x 1
  10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    In this particular situation, a crowded bar in low light, the size advantages of micro 4/3 came into play.

Blues at the Hotsy Totsy - a set on Flickr

the ability to switch between small fast lenses which you can carry in a jacket or even a jeans pocket makes for a very flexible way of working... the small size is also less intimidating for the performers and less obtrusive on the audience. Add to that acceptable high ISO and a relatively quiet shutter and you have a very capable package for this kind of work. I doubt that I would have got better pictures with my Canon 5D mk2 which sits sadly on my camera shelf looking for a reason to be there

K

• Like Like x 3
  11. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  12. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    The recent posts I see a parallel: they all have a human and intimate component. Family and human interest, nature at human limits, human masses cramped indoors.

I wish I could call the shutter of my PL3 quiet... !CLUNKKK!

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'd guess that images captured with the M. Zuiko 75mm ƒ1.8 (150mm equivalent) would fall into the "Only m43" category.

Anything else IMHO is subjective as Krugorg stated...

• Like Like x 1
  14. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Indeed the mentioned advantages are not technical per se. But then again, there was no request for generalizations. I like that even though subjective, all statements are of the works/won't work (for me) kind. One could say they are based on real-world experiences where many parameters play a role, most of which cannot be calculated.

On the technical side however, and this really surprises me, is there no other system or camera with a lens like the 75mm 1.8? Wow.

15. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    The IBIS in the OM-D is the only thing

• Like Like x 1
  16. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    It is easy to quote examples where the weight and bulk of a DSLR would deter you from carrying it, or could possibly intimidate the subject. That these are good reasons for choosing m4/3 is undeniable.

However, the choice available is not restricted only to DSLR and m4/3. People can use a similar justification for choosing a compact P&S or a compact system camera that is smaller then m4/3, such as Nikon's 1 Series or even the Pentax Q. All of these are not only easier to carry than DSLRs, and less intimidating, but they are actually better than m4/3 in these two respects. Some of them are truly pocketable, something that isn't actually true of m4/3 unless you have particularly large pockets.

If a reasonably large sensor is a priority, there are p&s digicams like the Canon G1 X and the Sony RX100. The G1X has a sensor that is slightly larger than m4/3 and the RX100 shares its sensor size (although not its pixel count) with the Nikon 1 Series. Both give excellent results that are for almost all purposes indistinguishable from m4/3.

So if anyone is going to truthfully claim that "Only m43 could do the job!" they have to try just a little harder than merely saying "My DSLR was too heavy/bulky/intimidating for this shot" when a smaller (but still high IQ) P&S could have done the job equally well and be truly pocketable too.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    This is true for some circumstances, to be sure. What I personally don't see in other offerings aside from m4/3 is a compact, high IQ, interchangeable lens camera system complete with a wide array of quality lenses. Other CSCs have different appeal (larger sensors, or focus peaking on NEX for example). They may even have some individually great lenses, but to date no one else has the wide array available on m4/3.

Note that I'm not a rabid m4/3 fan; I'm invested heavily in the system to be sure, but I'm more than happy to use and enjoy other systems. I currently own an X100 and a Canon S95 in addition to my m4/3 gear, and I've looked strongly at the X-Pro1, Sony NEX, Samsung's offerings, and Canon & Nikon DSLRs. What's kept me happily using m4/3 is the combination of all of the above features.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I've posted in a few other threads about things my DSLRs will do that the m4/3 gear won't, but this is a great opportunity to put the shoe on the other foot. :thumbup: :43: :thumbup:

Later this month, I'm going to be travelling overseas to an event where there are limitations on the size of photo equipment and practical limitations on what I will be able to carry (both venue limitations and personal, physical limitations :redface: ). So, here is a case where if my choice was DSLR kit or nothing, I'd either wind up with nothing or with gear that was limited enough that it really wouldn't address the photo needs I'll be having. So let me say: :bravo-009: :43: :cool:

To address Cub's point, I'll have an LX5 in my bag, too, and my wife will no doubt have here P&S superzoom, but I can tell you that for a variety of different reasons they would not produce pictures that will be as pleasing as the m4/3 choice will do.

• Like Like x 1
  19. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    MtWhitney.

It may be a bit of a stretch to say that only a µ4/3 camera could have made this shot possible. But I know I never would have hauled a full-frame DSLR out to the place from where I took it, nor bothered with a P&S.

I was on a week-long, springtime motorcycle trip through Death Valley and the SoCal deserts with minimal gear when a local in Lone Pine alerted me to this arch up in the nearby Alabama Hills. He gave me only the vaguest of directions, and let me know that I'd be hoofing it over rough terrain (in stiff motorcycle boots) for about an hour to get there. So I decided to take only my GH2 and 20mm f/1.7 lens, which I could pocket in my motorcycle jacket.

After much cross-country scrambling at sunrise through washes and clambering over boulders, I eventually found the spot. But I had to lie down in a prone position across a boulder and hold my camera well below me to capture Mt. Whitney in the center of the arch. The GH2's articulating screen made the shot possible.

So yes, the pocketabilty, light weight, articulating screen, and excellent lens made it not only possible to take this photo, but I never would have gone out there with a big, heavy DSLR, nor a cheap P&S camera. Only a µ4/3 system made it worthwhile for me.

David

• Like Like x 2
  20. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    I'm pretty sure all sensor size gaps will be filled with both systems and compacts soon :wink:
    Sony-RX-100-Sensor-size.

Looking at the range of cameras currently available, my uneducated guess is that that can be said for every camera choice except for extreme niche applications (Hubble Telescope e.a.). Hence the focus of this thread is on personal choices of individuals.

/ and in fact, posters put their opinion in perspective