The OM-D E-M5 is a superb nature camera (with grip)!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ramirez, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I went out today to get some late summer photos.
    I must say that I really love the E-M5 with both grip parts attached when doing nature walks; I don´t have to worry about battery power (due to spare battery in grip) and good balance with the tele zoom.

The E-M5 is really my main camera for nature photography nowadays!

The photos I took today:

Attached Files:

2. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Good stuff!

I went hiking Saturday in thoroughly overcast weather, but still came back pretty pleased with my OM-D's output.

3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    It would be nice to see your photos from your hike :smile:

4. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Here you go. :) These are a few I took on the Fiery Gizzard in South Cumberland State Park (TN). Used my OM-D and 14mm and 45mm primes. Carried all my lenses needlessly (even though they aren't heavy) when I should have known I'd be happier sticking to just a couple. Anyway, here they are. Enjoy.

ImageUploadedByMu-431376965255.729305.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431376965275.281503.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431376965290.964653.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431376965323.045080.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431376965370.370073.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431376965428.622259.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431376965469.132899.

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree with you ... I was thinking of selling the grip but dropped the idea later on . I am loving OMD EM5 more now as I formed a bond with the camera , I loved my EPL2 but OMD is a different horse . Beautiful images :2thumbs::2thumbs:

Look at this n sorry for not correcting horizons

PB080167_2. PB150419.

Attached Files:

6. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Wow, those (Ramirez's) are sharp.
    mrjr - love the toadstool; was that with the 14?

7. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Yep.

8. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Lovely images! :smile:

9. CreationBear

CreationBear Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 11, 2013
    MRJR--

Very nice--I've been contemplating picking up an E-MP5 for my hikes over here in the Smokies, but was wanting to make sure I wouldn't be looking at a lot of noisy images. (As you know, our hollers can get awful deep and dark, especially under a full canopy this time of year.:smile:) I'd be very appreciative of any ISO/shutterspeed details you have for these shots, though I'm thinking that the IBIS has really been a game-changer in terms of what's possible to do hand-held these days.

Otherwise, a beautiful part of the world--I don't get up to the Plateau as much as I'd like, but have fond memories of that trail from my time at Sewanee.

10. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

what do you intend to "shoot"?:biggrin:

11. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Since we were *hiking*, almost all the shots I took were run-and-gun style, so I wasn't able to optimize camera settings for every shot. For instance, I see now that the mushroom shot was at ISO 4000 (f4, 1/25s). Not exactly ideal. (See below for the reason that happened).

In my opinion, higher ISOs are not problematic on the EM-5 in terms of noise grain. Sure, there's definitely some loss of fine detail, but the main reason I try to avoid higher ISOs outdoors is the loss of dynamic range headroom. So for *most* of these shots, I set my ISO somewhere between base and 800. Favoring base, of course. That way, reflections on leaves don't turn green trees completely white. If I were doing it properly, I should probably have been using my CPL, but again, it was mostly run-and-gun. I didn't have time for filters. So that waterfall shot could have been more impressive with an ND filter (which I don't have) and a tripod, but I think it's pretty stinking good that I could pull off a sharp, handheld 4/10s (1/2.5s) shot using a 45mm(!) lens (f8, ISO 200). So, yes. The IBIS is a big deal.

Another thing I noticed about the EM-5's performance under a moderate canopy in overcast weather: evaluative metering favored a brighter exposure than I thought necessary. That means higher ISOs or slower shutter speeds, and more detail lost in the highlights. The EM-5 allows a moderate bump to ambient exposure in post if necessary, without too much of a noise penalty, but doesn't save a whole lot for highlight recovery. So, for most of the shots, I had -1 to -2 exposure compensation dialed in. I feel like that improved contrast SOOC and saved some highlight detail. Ymmv.

I'm not sure if that was helpful at all, and my apologies to Ramirez for hijacking the thread. ;) If you have any other specific questions, just ask and I'll do my best to answer them. I may try to post some hi-res files with metadata on my neglected Flickr.

---

My *normal* camera settings are Aperture priority mode, minimum shutter 1/80, and Auto-ISO capped at 4000, *because* most of the time I am grabbing the camera to capture a funny moment with an active one-year-old.

12. CreationBear

CreationBear Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 11, 2013
    MRJR--

Thanks so much for the insights--like a lot of folks, I'm on the fence between the Oly and the Pentax K5 (weather sealing being at a premium, especially this year.:smile:)

Ramirez: sorry for the thread-jack as well...I'm interested in the grips, also, since I've large hands.

13. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    No problem! This thread is partly about the grip so you were not to far off :smile: