The OM-D E-M5 is a superb nature camera (with grip)!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ramirez, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I went out today to get some late summer photos.
    I must say that I really love the E-M5 with both grip parts attached when doing nature walks; I don´t have to worry about battery power (due to spare battery in grip) and good balance with the tele zoom.

The E-M5 is really my main camera for nature photography nowadays!

The photos I took today:

Attached Files:

2. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Good stuff!

I went hiking Saturday in thoroughly overcast weather, but still came back pretty pleased with my OM-D's output.

3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    It would be nice to see your photos from your hike :smile:

4. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Here you go. :) These are a few I took on the Fiery Gizzard in South Cumberland State Park (TN). Used my OM-D and 14mm and 45mm primes. Carried all my lenses needlessly (even though they aren't heavy) when I should have known I'd be happier sticking to just a couple. Anyway, here they are. Enjoy.

ImageUploadedByMu-431376965255.729305.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431376965275.281503.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431376965290.964653.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431376965323.045080.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431376965370.370073.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431376965428.622259.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431376965469.132899.

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

I agree with you ... I was thinking of selling the grip but dropped the idea later on . I am loving OMD EM5 more now as I formed a bond with the camera , I loved my EPL2 but OMD is a different horse . Beautiful images :2thumbs::2thumbs:

Look at this n sorry for not correcting horizons

PB080167_2. PB150419.

6. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Wow, those (Ramirez's) are sharp.
    mrjr - love the toadstool; was that with the 14?

7. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Yep.

8. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Lovely images! :smile:

9. CreationBear

CreationBear Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 11, 2013
    MRJR--

Very nice--I've been contemplating picking up an E-MP5 for my hikes over here in the Smokies, but was wanting to make sure I wouldn't be looking at a lot of noisy images. (As you know, our hollers can get awful deep and dark, especially under a full canopy this time of year.:smile:) I'd be very appreciative of any ISO/shutterspeed details you have for these shots, though I'm thinking that the IBIS has really been a game-changer in terms of what's possible to do hand-held these days.

Otherwise, a beautiful part of the world--I don't get up to the Plateau as much as I'd like, but have fond memories of that trail from my time at Sewanee.

10. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

what do you intend to "shoot"?:biggrin:

11. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Since we were *hiking*, almost all the shots I took were run-and-gun style, so I wasn't able to optimize camera settings for every shot. For instance, I see now that the mushroom shot was at ISO 4000 (f4, 1/25s). Not exactly ideal. (See below for the reason that happened).

In my opinion, higher ISOs are not problematic on the EM-5 in terms of noise grain. Sure, there's definitely some loss of fine detail, but the main reason I try to avoid higher ISOs outdoors is the loss of dynamic range headroom. So for *most* of these shots, I set my ISO somewhere between base and 800. Favoring base, of course. That way, reflections on leaves don't turn green trees completely white. If I were doing it properly, I should probably have been using my CPL, but again, it was mostly run-and-gun. I didn't have time for filters. So that waterfall shot could have been more impressive with an ND filter (which I don't have) and a tripod, but I think it's pretty stinking good that I could pull off a sharp, handheld 4/10s (1/2.5s) shot using a 45mm(!) lens (f8, ISO 200). So, yes. The IBIS is a big deal.

Another thing I noticed about the EM-5's performance under a moderate canopy in overcast weather: evaluative metering favored a brighter exposure than I thought necessary. That means higher ISOs or slower shutter speeds, and more detail lost in the highlights. The EM-5 allows a moderate bump to ambient exposure in post if necessary, without too much of a noise penalty, but doesn't save a whole lot for highlight recovery. So, for most of the shots, I had -1 to -2 exposure compensation dialed in. I feel like that improved contrast SOOC and saved some highlight detail. Ymmv.

I'm not sure if that was helpful at all, and my apologies to Ramirez for hijacking the thread. ;) If you have any other specific questions, just ask and I'll do my best to answer them. I may try to post some hi-res files with metadata on my neglected Flickr.

---

My *normal* camera settings are Aperture priority mode, minimum shutter 1/80, and Auto-ISO capped at 4000, *because* most of the time I am grabbing the camera to capture a funny moment with an active one-year-old.

12. CreationBear

CreationBear Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 11, 2013
    MRJR--

Thanks so much for the insights--like a lot of folks, I'm on the fence between the Oly and the Pentax K5 (weather sealing being at a premium, especially this year.:smile:)

Ramirez: sorry for the thread-jack as well...I'm interested in the grips, also, since I've large hands.

13. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    No problem! This thread is partly about the grip so you were not to far off :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.