1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The OM-D E-M5 goes hiking

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Terri, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    On the "other" (Idaho) side of the Tetons is an area called the Jedediah Smith Wilderness area. We went on a day hike there yesterday. It was absolutely gorgeous and we only saw a few people all day. It was cloudy and cool and made for a wonderful day.

All pictures taken with the Olympus OM-D E-M5. The IBIS was amazing. The blurred water shots were taken at 1/20 with no tripod.

p606083911.

You start in the valley floor where you get to hike along some beautiful waterfalls.

p228750046.

p371170761.

You quickly start to climb and have the view of some beautiful cliffs across the valley.

p547925342.

The wildflowers are just getting started....

p912991131.

p9298771.

Before long you start getting up where it is really high.

p774516378.

You come across an interesting waterfall across the canyon that starts at the cave and becomes visible again at the bottom of the canyon.

p612251396.

This shot was taken at 1/25 with a telephoto lens handheld and it came out sharp. I couldn't believe it.

p49780011.

Another shot of the canyon wall.
    p132529632.

We reached a fun little area with a little seasonal waterfall. We decided that this was the perfect place for lunch. You can tell how high we are because there is still snow.

p547401836.

Greg enjoyed eating his lunch on a rock in the middle of the little stream. I did the same!!

p850046154.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    Soon it was time to head home as thunderstorms were predicted for the late afternoon.

Greg was trying to reset the GPS. We are kind of GPS challenged.:eek:

p291314205.

It's always nice to stop and enjoy the flowers and plants.

p1070858789.

p301775207.

A perfect day with my sweetheart and two best buddies.

p981734104.

First time I've hiked with this little, light weight gear. It was so wonderful!!

• Like Like x 11
  3. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Great pictures! I bought the OMD EM5 for hiking and backpacking photography. I wanted a capable camera that was light weight and compact.

Just got back from a trip to Acadia National Park and need to go through all pictures :smile:

4. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    Hope to see your pictures. It is so nice to be able to ditch all the heavy gear for travel and recreation!!

5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Simply beautiful Terri. It's nice to see a bunch of pictures and each one is a treat to view without getting distracted by wonky horizons and wrong parts out of focus ect. You're good at what you do and it's great to see you enjoy it.

Are these processed raws or oly jpegs?

I really like the brightness in the shadows, is this a slight LR HDR preset?

best,
    icon

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Wonderful, Terri. Thanks for giving us a tour of this gorgeous place!

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Awesome stuff! Envious both of the location and the photos.

DH

8. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    Lovely photos, and glad to see that the dogs got to enjoy the trip as well!

9. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    Very nice, amazing colors depth ( especially the green).

10. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks for the travelogue! I especially liked the photo of the canyon wall. Looks like a beautiful place, and I'm happy to hear you were able to get good waterfall shots with the IBIS.

I will soon be trying the same thing here in a local county park, where I have failed twice before with my 5D (no IS on my 17-40) and E-510 (had to keep the ISO too low). I'll be happy to finally have a camera that can handle shooting in a dark forest without fast primes!

11. CelineStiltner

CelineStiltner  

Jun 12, 2012
    Lovely photos, and glad to see that the dogs got to enjoy the trip as well!

dynatrackgps

12. Terri, how long was the telephoto you used at 1/25th? Over 200mm? I'm really looking forward to using this camera, looks like I will be able to handhold some big old glass!

Lovely shots, thank you.

13. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Lovely photos of a beautiful place, Terri!

I am also curious what telephoto lens you were using. I haven't tried shooting anything with my ZD 50-200 SWD at 200mm handheld at anything slower than 1/125 on the E-M5 yet. I tried that on the E-P3 before, but everything comes out blurry...

14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Enjoyed looking at these - beautiful area and beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing them.:thumbup:

15. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    These are processed from RAW. I adjust the shadows in each photo individually. I don't really use presets. I love Lightroom 4. I think it gives great control over the exposure. Thanks for the compliment. These were not done with dramatic lighting, but the clouds were nice for capturing the flowers and water. I hope to go back there when the wildflowers are at their prime.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    Thanks so much Amin and DH. It is a beautiful place that I hadn't been to in years. Of course, Idaho and the surrounding states are so pretty in the summer that we have countless places to go for recreation.

17. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    The dogs loved it. I bet while we hiked around 6 miles, they probably went 20 running ahead and then coming back to check on us over and over.

The greens were amazing. So bright and vibrant.

I was smiling at the capabilities of the camera. My D300 couldn't do that either. My 70-200 VR is too heavy to hike with. I'm very excited about the E-M5.

The dogs were in heaven. We hike in Teton and Yellowstone parks a lot (we live close) and the dogs can't go on trails there. So, we like to take them places they can run free occasionally.

18. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    I used the 40-150 for these. I guess that is a 300mm equivalent on FX.

19. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    I used the 40-150 on these. I had trouble with lens shake on my EPM-1, but the E-M5 is so much better.

20. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    Thank you, Bob.