The Olympus M. Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 vs Panasonic 25mm f/1.7

Moula

Mu-43 Regular
For me 25 mm is a bit too long for general purpose standard lens. 17 mm is much more natural to me. With 50 mm attached to 135 film SLR I mostly found myself being too close to subject when I brought camera up to eye. Never feel this way with my 17/1.8 (neither with 135 film compact with 40 mm). But it very much depends on everyone's preferences.

Robertom

Mu-43 Regular
I have oly 12 , 17 and 45
12 and 17 are quite differences fov.
I have a good copy of 17 . I had PL15 for a few days . Prefer 17.
Colors , rendering is better with 17 (in my opinion) .
It,s not as sharp as 45mm but enough sharp .

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
I had the Oly 17/1.8 for a while and thought it had lovely rendering, plenty sharp (although I don't recall how sharp it was wide open specifically). The clutch focus mechanism is nice as well. But I didn't get along much with the focal length - at the time I was in love with the PL25 and for wider I had a slow ultrawide zoom - so I sold it. However, like you I later realized that 25mm can sometimes be difficult to use indoors, such as for family/social events, depending on how much room I had to move or back up. And of course my zoom was too slow. I had previously enjoyed shooting with the 14mm pancake lens, so I picked up a copy of the PL15 and to my surprise these days it rarely leaves my camera. Absolutely beautiful rendering, quite sharp, and a very flexible focal length. I think it's a great pair with a 25mm, essentially a 28/50 pair in 35mm film terms.

But I would say you probably can't go wrong with either one (15 or 17), do the exercise where you keep your zoom locked at 15 or 17 for a while and see if either one feels better, and check out the lens sample showcase threads to get an idea of how they perform.

ata3001

Mu-43 Regular
I had the 17 for about 9 months. It was my weakest performing lens. SOOC images didn't live up to the image quality of my other lenses. Sold it & bought the 15. Now I don't have any under performing lenses. The 15 stays on the camera most of the time.

beameup

Mu-43 Regular
The first m4/3 lens I purchased was the P 20mm f/1.7 ii. It proved to be the perfect street-lens for me.
*(plus it is a good bargain)

ata3001

Mu-43 Regular
I would rather see a comparison between the PL 15/1.7 & Oly 17/1.8. These two lenses are much closer in focal length than the 17/1.8 & 25/1.7

ata3001

Mu-43 Regular
David Thorpe YouTube has a review of the PL 15mm where he compares it to the Oly 17mm towards the end of the review (7:10):
I've seen David Thorpes video, however it might be interesting hearing some thoughts between them here. I've owned both & have already formed my own opinion, but might be interesting to hear others.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Thanks for your replies! This confirms what I've read so far on reviews. 15mm could be a nice focal length. But would this lens give wide angle distortions?
You have the 14-140, so you should be able to try out the focal lengths with that lens.

Personally, I think if you have the 12mm, then 15mm will be too close. It is a lot more compact, though. You can compare this by taking a picture with your 12mm and then swapping to the 14-140 and just barely touch the zoom ring to nudge a hair past 14mm. Then take a picture from the same spot. It would be very easy to just crop your 12mm to 15mm.

20mm f1.7 is nice to own. about 20% wider than the 25mm and very compact. Probably a hair sharper. Completely transforms your camera setup with how tiny it is. I think that's what I'd get unless you need continuous video AF.

I've actually owned the 14mm f2.5, 15mm, 20mm, 25mm f1.8 and 25mm f1.4. Never tried the 17mm. Honestly hard to go wrong, but I feel the 17mm is a little overpriced unless you find a used bargain.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
It's funny, I've never gotten along with the PL15mm (owned it twice). I do like the P14mm and O17mm. :hmmm:

But reading through this thread and the Mirrorless Comparison something struck me. I recently went through a consolidation, I had an Oly E-M1.2, Fuji X-E3, and Fuji X70, now I just have the Oly E-M1.2 and Pen F. One of the reasons for the consolidation was handling. Between my two most used Fuji lenses, one had an aperture ring and the other didn't. So that difference was ever present. Thinking about it now I have to wonder if that "feature" on the PL15mm was one of the things that just seemed off, especially when going from lens to lens and body to body (Pan and Oly).

Just a thought about the PL15mm and something to consider.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom