The Olympus 75mm is a lot smaller than I thought!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Anthonys, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    Just got back from a pop-up photo gallery sponsored by Olympus in east London where they had a large display of all their cameras and lenses, specifically demonstrating the new E-M1.

Anyway, the new camera is quite a bit bigger and heavier than the E-M5 and not of particular interest to me but they did let me try all their lenses on my GX1. I was really surprised at how small most of them are, everything looks much larger in product shots.

The 75mm is about the same size/weight as my PL25mm. I imagined it being at least one and a half times bigger! I took a few shots around the gallery with it and it's given me results that look almost the same as the 25mm, on screen anyway. It's definately shot up as one of my most wanted lenses.

Moral of the story, it's worth physically trying lenses! :th_salute:

• Like Like x 1
  2. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Totally agree. I always recommend that people go to their local brick and mortar and fiddle with the thing they're thinking of buying. For me it's essential.

3. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    I was very surprised at how compact the 75 was also. I tried it on my EM5 at the local shop and it was hardly bigger than some of my adapted primes.

I took some test shots and realized that I probably can't justify the price either. I was getting very similarly sharp images out of my Konica 50mm which I inherited for free.

4. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    This is round the corner from my office, will be visiting - cheers!

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And then at least buy something from that local brick and mortar store too! :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I found where the 75mm really excels is with non-ideal lighting conditions. There are times where I wonder what exactly the exotic glass does in some lenses, but not the 75mm- it's pretty amazing, and the CA are very easy to correct. The other amazing thing about it is it's sharp wide open to stopped down, even with diffraction- it's still relatively sharp. It's one of those lenses that will hold up well with sensor upgrades- it'll just keep getting better.

I also tell myself all of that to justify the price I paid on it :wink:

7. utahlasvegas

utahlasvegas Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    I have a 75 being delivered today! Yay!

8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I want this lens...thanks for the report...I assumed it was quite a bit bigger than the PL 25 too. Lust!

9. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    It's about 10 mm longer and abaut 5 mm wider, but weights half more. Okay, the size category is still the same.

10. MCarroll

MCarroll Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 28, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    75mm for Sale!

It sure is a great lens, gonna give myself a little plug and say i have mine up for sale right now on the buy and sell forum!

Thanks

Matty

11. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    yeah - it is fairly small, but it is quite heavy compared to the PL 25mm. Fantastic lens, though.

12. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Just wanted to say a second thank-you for the original post - just got back from a portrait session led by Damian McGillicuddy. First time I've ever pointed a camera at a model, was great fun - and a little terrifying!
    Also yes, the 75mm is pretty small - they had a 12-40 around as well :)

13. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    did you try the 12-40?

14. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    I think its hard to believe there is only 10 mm difference in length (sorry the iPhone approach).

Attached Files:

75.jpg
      File size:
      199.1 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 2
  15. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    I've read that the Olympus 75/1.8 is a bit larger than the Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited. See a comparison here.

16. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    "a bit"? QUITE a bit, I think! :biggrin: Interesting also.

17. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    NYC
    I don't notice the size as much as the weight but it's f1.8 and that means a lot of glass which translate to more weight.

18. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    Yup their set up is pretty decent, I actually work opposite the space. They mentioned they are going to run something similar later this year in soho.

Anyway, I didn't really notice a difference having the 75mm on my gx1 after taking the pl25mm off. I thought I would. It may be slightly bigger and also heavier but in real world terms didn't make as much difference as expected.

19. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    The O75 is compact, but HEAVY!!! It weighs nearly as much as my OM-D body!

However...it's a beautiful lens. It looks stunning and performs even better...before M4/3 I was shooting with a Canon 5D Mark II and some L lenses...the last great lens I held onto was the 135L. The O75 works out to about the same FL, so I tried it...and wow. Even compared to the king of the hill 135L it's a great lens. Bokeh lags behind, but it's sharp and has superb colours!

I bought both it and the O45, because I was going to use the 45 as a travel prime and the 75 as an around-the-home-turf prime...well...I just went to Tokyo for 5 days and took the 75, not the 45...screw the extra weight, it's well worth it for glass this amazing!

20. kawhona

kawhona Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Phoenix
    Don Thompson
    75mm sample in low light situation

I am still not sure how to attach pics so forgive me if this doesn't work.

Attached Files: