Review The Olympus 12-40pro as a landscape lens

smartiepants

Mu-43 Veteran
some lovely shots there thanks for sharing, I have the 12-40 & a Samyang 7.5mm but only had them for a short time, not had chance to do much with either other than a few events so i'm looking forward to some landscape photography soon, i'm a city boy so its just finding the time to get out there

travelbug

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
some lovely shots there thanks for sharing, I have the 12-40 & a Samyang 7.5mm but only had them for a short time, not had chance to do much with either other than a few events so i'm looking forward to some landscape photography soon, i'm a city boy so its just finding the time to get out there
Thanks, I hope my post inspired you to go out and shoot :)

Walter

Mu-43 All-Pro
@travelbug

Great photos with phantastic natural light atmosphere.
I hesitated for some time because of the price but three months ago I got it at half price from a photo shop (special offer exhibit price).
After three intensive photo excursions (3 to 4 days each) I was absolutely fascinated from the results. And now it's become my most used and favourite lens, together with the 2,8/60 macro and the 1,8/75 pro which are in a very small bag I carry along for those special purposes in between.

Walter

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just one shot from my recent trip taken with this fantastic lens
1568236387733.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

travelbug

Mu-43 Veteran
Just one shot from my recent trip taken with this fantastic lens
View attachment 774126
Winning shot indeed! Yes the 12-40 is still compact for what it is, and with the mft system you canpair it with a smaller prime for some really compelling photography. I pair mine with the laowa 7.5/2 usually for that wide angle, and distortion.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
pLeica 12-60/2.8 - for landscapes, I'd rather have a 10-45...

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have to agree – my 12-40 Pro has come in extremely handy during my photography excursions in Norway, our local national parks, and the Dolomites. The image quality I'm getting from it is fantastic, and it also eliminates the need to switch lenses. This especially is crucial for me: often, the environment doesn't really lend itself to lens switching (wetness, rain, dust, wind, cold numb fingers...) and the 12-40 can handle almost everything that I need.

This year, I bought a used 8-18 PanaLeica to get those wide angle shots with a lens that takes filters, but I found that switching between this lens and the 12-40 became too cumbersome – it's exactly what I didn't want in the first place, and there's also too much overlap between the two lenses. So I'm selling the PanaLeica again, going back to my Samyang 7.5 Fisheye on a second small body, and will stick with my faithful 12-40.

travelbug

Mu-43 Veteran
I have to agree – my 12-40 Pro has come in extremely handy during my photography excursions in Norway, our local national parks, and the Dolomites. The image quality I'm getting from it is fantastic, and it also eliminates the need to switch lenses. This especially is crucial for me: often, the environment doesn't really lend itself to lens switching (wetness, rain, dust, wind, cold numb fingers...) and the 12-40 can handle almost everything that I need.

This year, I bought a used 8-18 PanaLeica to get those wide angle shots with a lens that takes filters, but I found that switching between this lens and the 12-40 became too cumbersome – it's exactly what I didn't want in the first place, and there's also too much overlap between the two lenses. So I'm selling the PanaLeica again, going back to my Samyang 7.5 Fisheye on a second small body, and will stick with my faithful 12-40.
Yeah using an uwa lens if much trickier than a standard zoom, even for landscapes. Ive used the 8-18 myself and I actually liked using it. I may eventually add it to my kit, as the 7-14 is challenging to use with filters. At the moment though I'm still good with the 12-40, laowa 7.5 combo for most situations.

softmarmotte

New to Mu-43
I like to panorama with it

Fred S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Fred S
I also like Panoramas with it

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom