The Oly XZ1 is getting glowing reviews

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
an alternative view might be that they are not putting all their eggs into one basket

blue

Mu-43 Veteran
No, because my point is not about having a diverse range, but about using the best tech available in the supposedly top end/innovative new products. Like decent screen, easy access control dials, improved sensor and so on. They've done it in the XZ1 but not really in the warmed over EPL1/2.

Also, as a slight aside, what is it with Olympus and the 1/2000 top speed - a very bright day and a wide aperture and you're stuck ?

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
well the XZ1 is a top end innovative new product.... just not in the same category as the EPL2 - which by the way has a better screen and a control dial

maybe they are saving some tech back for the E-p3...?

In the end Olympus, like all manufacturers don't really make cameras to show off how clever they are....they make cameras to make a profit, and I am sure the decisions they take on what to release when are taken with a zillion factors that are important to that goal.

CES is a consumer show... which is why they are releasing the consumer cameras now... releasing a more pro camera now would just get lost in the marketing noise surrounding CES

K

Real Name
Nic
Dare I say it but the E-PL1/2 were never meant to top-end cameras, but in the case the E-PL1 it turned out to a better camera than it's spec sheet suggested.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
well the XZ1 is a top end innovative new product.... just not in the same category as the EPL2 - which by the way has a better screen and a control dial

maybe they are saving some tech back for the E-p3...?

In the end Olympus, like all manufacturers don't really make cameras to show off how clever they are....they make cameras to make a profit, and I am sure the decisions they take on what to release when are taken with a zillion factors that are important to that goal.

CES is a consumer show... which is why they are releasing the consumer cameras now... releasing a more pro camera now would just get lost in the marketing noise surrounding CES

K

Keven,

Not to be an Olympus basher, since I do own a PEN, but this camera is not really innovative since it is basically thier version of an LX5. A little different lens and a better LCD.

This is just another option for those who complain about LX5 jpeg quality. I think anyone who owns a PEN or who really likes Olympus JPEGS will like this camera over what the competition is.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Dare I say it but the E-PL1/2 were never meant to top-end cameras, but in the case the E-PL1 it turned out to a better camera than it's spec sheet suggested.

The only thing really "top end" about the E-P1/P2 vs the E-PL1 was the controls and the body(or aluminum skin) of the cameras. In some ways, the E-PL1 does more than the E-P1/P2. With the new PEN having better controls, one has to ask if there will be an E-P3.

ronbot

Mu-43 Regular
But does it shoot RAW? One would expect so in this bracket of the market.

Yes it does: Olympus XZ-1 Quick Preview Preview: 2. Specifications: Digital Photography Review

this camera is not really innovative since it is basically thier version of an LX5. A little different lens and a better LCD.

This is just another option for those who complain about LX5 jpeg quality. I think anyone who owns a PEN or who really likes Olympus JPEGS will like this camera over what the competition is.

It's hard to be truly innovative these days, especially if you don't want to take too high of a risk.

Anyway, this camera seems like a very refined first high-end P&S (in a long time - the c5050 also with an f1.8 was released in '03) from Olympus.

I think it is a very good option for anyone looking for a high-end P&S for a handful of reasons:
*lens as fast as Samsung's TL500 but with more range
*nice OLED display with resolution second only to Nikon's P7000
*has the same big sensor as the LX5
*not bulky like the P7000 and G12
*nice control wheel around the lens like the S95
*no OVF but has an accessory port to use the really nice VF-2

And the list goes on. It's like they took all the nice things from the other high-end P&S, bumped it up a little bit more, and shoved it all in a good looking body.

I was going to get a compact zoom, like the Samsung WB600 as a sidekick to my E-PL1, but this very intriguing.

phrenic

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have to say I'm tempted...I've long been keeping an eye on the higher end enthusiast compacts, everything from the LX3/5 to the S90. If I see this in person and play around with it I may have to pick it up..

Phil Rudin

Mu-43 Rookie
This is a camera also getting a lot of buzz in the underwater photo world, with raw, the great AOV range and lens speed as well as the quality Olympus housings. This camera will be a hit with U/W photographers and will blend well with the long list of after market products for Olympus.

Phil Rudin

Attachments

• pt-050_xz-1_xl_new_medium.jpg
    pt-050_xz-1_xl_new_medium.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 188

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Will it take the VF2 viewfinder?

that would certainly make it more appealing to me.
isabel

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
that would certainly make it more appealing to me.
isabel

Yes, it does. Like Panasonic made the LX5 so it would accept their evf, Olympus has made their new compact combatible with their's as well. Although the Pany evf is small enough not to look out of place on the LX5. The Oly EVF is large enough to almost seem out of place on an ep or epl, so I can't imagine how top heavy it'll be on a compact...

-Ray

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's been my experience with many different digicams that their lcds are very hard to see in the sun. My Fuji F30 is an exception because I can press the up cursor and brighten the lcd for a few seconds - very helpful.

I have the VF2 for my E-PL1 and can't imagine being without it. Marvelous accessory.

Isabel

fotomatix

Mu-43 Regular
I just picked one up. Making it my 'quick bring along' camera to ask the wife for slipping into her purse. That F1.8 works really well. Amateurs like me need all the help and cheat tricks we can get.:thumbup:

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Its nice to see the XZ-1 in the marketplace to continue pressure on Panasonic to continue to push the great LX series. I was torn between the XZ-1 and the LX5 for my "P&S" and probably would have been fairly happy with either, but the nod went to LX5 because the lens is almost as fast and goes to 24mm on the wide end.

I've found that I use the widest setting of such cameras a lot more than I do the long end and the extra wide angle field of view was a big influence in my decision... plus being a Panny shooter already, the menus/UI are wonderfully familiar, I already have the EVF (got for my GF1), and I do shoot video, so the significantly better video features on the LX5 all swayed me to the LX5, which I really love. Wonderful camera. I also bought the accessory tube for the LX5 to add filters and the wide angle lens I also bought. I use the WA adapter lens on my LX5 almost 1/2 the time I use the camera.

The XZ-1 is certainly an appealing camera and I will definitely be looking at the XZ-2, when it arrives, to see how things are developing with that model. It's good to have competition between the XZ series and the LX series.

MU43-guy

Mu-43 Veteran
I went to an International Auto Show yesterday and took my G2, E-PL1, (14-140mm, 7-14mm, 20mm) and XZ-1 with me.

Oddly enough, I found that halfway through the show I was only using my XZ-1 as it did everything I needed to. The f/1.8 was giving me great DoF shots and made it easy to keep a low ISO in the indoor conditions (although lighting was really bright). The small form factor made it so easy to get my camera up and down with one hand and get interesting perspectives and angles, and the IBIS helped for sure.

With the Macro and Super Macro modes I was able to get right up to some of my subjects and get some really interesting shots.

I don't think I'm going to be letting go of my G2, E-PL1, or assorted lenses any time soon as they do have their purpose, but I am thoroughly amazed with it's all-round capabilities and design. Of all my cameras, I think this might be the last one for me to give up.

That being said, had I brought along my 14-54mm mkII I think I would've used my u4/3 bodies more. Olympus or Panasonic, we really need that fast standard-zoom sometime soon!

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
mclarenf3... the allure of the high-end "compact camera" is real. I often feel the same way as you do when I'm using my LX5... these cameras are a joy to use and can produce very nice images. And amazing close-ups!

But in the end, there still is a clear quality difference between them and the larger sensor m4/3 bretheren. That said, it's wonderful to have such nice capability in a such a nice, compact, convenient camera!

Have you gotten a wide angle lens for your XZ-1 yet? That will open up yet another wonderful world to you with that camera!

MU43-guy

Mu-43 Veteran
There are no filter threads on the XZ-1, so I'm not sure if it can take any sort of lens extensions on it.

I agree, though, in regards to the photo quality. But for a lot of things, a scaled down JPEG is all I need. ;)

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I love my E-PL2, but still find myself going for the D-LUX 5 because of the all-in-one aspect, and the 24mm fast lens. I DO love the Oly jpegs though, and was SO hoping the XZ-1 was going to hit 24mm.

Latest threads

Top Bottom