1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Oly 60mm Macro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by JensM, May 23, 2016.

1. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    is really ridiculously small.

I have just sold off the two last lenses of the Canon system(50D), the 60mm EF-S Macro and the 100 mm 2,8 EF Macro and plowed the gains of those two into a Oly 60mm on the European Cash-back scheme, so got the Oly at 20ish % off.

First impression straight out of the box, are a massive jaw-drop over the size...:biggrin:

Second one, after getting it mounted on the GX7 and doing some quick focus tests from close to far and back is that it is incredibly fast moving, opening it fully, in a dusky lit living room in the middle of the night, and aiming it into a unlit kitchen, and getting .30 sec with 2.8 is that it is rather bright as well... :yahoo:

If this is the standard on the primes to the M-43 system, I am really beginning to see what all the fuzz is about.

Cant wait to get into it. :bowdown:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Enjoy your new lens, Jens! I remember being shocked at its small size, too, online pictures make it look larger than it is. It is a fabulous lens. I got mine at a good price (refurb) and I have been enjoying it for about two years now.

• Like Like x 2
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea - great lens. I've done some nice macro shots with it. With focus stacking on the E-M1 it's quite a stunning tool.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. blotto

blotto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Congrats on the new lens, i've had mine for a couple months and love it. I wish the EM5 had focus stacking.

• Like Like x 2
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    One of my favorite lenses. Macro and a really nice telephoto. The focus limiter is very effective.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I've had my 60 macro for a couple of years and while I've sold/bought/traded other lenses in my kit the Olympus 60 macro has never been sold. It's a brilliant lens that not only takes superb macro and portraits it is also Splash Proof!
    Bobby
    PS, love the sliding hood!

• Like Like x 1
  7. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I certainly like my 60 a lot. Have fun with your new lens.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ben Russell

Ben Russell New to Mu-43

Dec 15, 2015
    West Cork, Ireland
    Ben Russell
    Got to weigh in with everyone else. You've got lots of pleasure ahead from that purchase Jens! I didn't trust the small size of the m4/3 lenses at first — we got used to thinking larger lenses meant better quality, but now not at all. The Olympus lenses are just fabulous, and the small size is a big bonus when travelling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. soliony

soliony Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2014
    I'll join the chorus. I have 3 zooms for wide, normal, and telephoto -- plus this 60mm Macro; and the 60mm is the one that stays on my EM5 the majority of the time. It's odd to consider a macro your go-to lens, but there it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Same here soliony, the 60mm macro is my only prime lens because it does things no other lens can.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1