1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The ole' "Selective focus" issue....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Ranger Rick, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    How many times have I seen posts raging about the lack of ability to use selective focus, etc etc with m43? One of those topics which needs a silver bullet put into it :)

Anyway, excellent post about this mania by John Kennerdell on the Online Photographer this morning:

The Online Photographer: In Defense of Depth

• Like Like x 4
  2. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I beleive it's not that there are more people looking for shallow depth of field rather than the echo chamber of the internet allows us to notice more people using and learning to use DoF. The opposite is also true the internet is filled with photographers that are insane with aquiring set ups that are razar sharp edge to edge.

It's alot like music, look at the guitar. Some players are obsessed with fuzz and distortion and others are obsessed with how clean they get their signal. Right now most people like chimey, and fuzzy. But you never know tommorow they may like squeaky clean.

There's room to appreciate all of it.

3. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    After reading a number of recent posts about "equivalence" it seems to me, that shallow DOF is momentarily overrated... It is even used as a means of "rating" camera/lens quality as if waferthin DOF were a goal in itself.

Especially liked the perspective on 3D composition in the TOP post.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting article, definitely something to think about.