1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Old Market, Siem Reap Cambodia

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Richella, May 4, 2014.

1. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Every morning, in the centre of Siem Reap, the Old Market opens for business as it has done for many years. The market is a hive of activity and sells meat, vegetables, rice, clothes and tourist souvenirs.

[​IMG]
    This woman is gutting and filleting fish. The fish is caught fresh daily where these woman do all the preparation and sell to customers.

[​IMG]
    Nothing goes to waste and the fish heads are sold to make fish head soup.

[​IMG]
    This young woman was sat on her stool staring into space. Perhaps she is dreaming of another place or time.

[​IMG]
    Dried fish hanging in the market creates a nice fishy smell throughout the market.

[​IMG]
    This woman take a break from her morning chores to enjoy a cup of milky tea.

[​IMG]
    A young women working in the butchery. Her face is whitened with cream. In Chinese culture white skin is associated with wealth, beauty and purity.

[​IMG]
    These three ladies, perched up on their little stools, chat as they work gutting and preparing chicken. Nothing goes to waste in Cambodia and you could buy all parts of the chicken.

[​IMG]
    The butcher carefully mixes up a paste. I'm not sure what it was for. Perhaps it was an ingredient of the sausages she was making.

[​IMG]
    Freshly made sausages hanging up in the market waiting for someone to buy them.

[​IMG]

The old market was a fantastic place for some people photography. I tried to practice something I had read before about moving slowly in through the crowd and stopping and standing still until you go unnoticed. Seemed strange at first but felt more comfortable the more I practiced and actually seemed to work. Despite being one of only a handful of foreigners in the market people I wandered unnoticed apart from a few occasions where I asked permission to take the photo.

I really enjoyed photographing the market. I could have spent days there. If you would like to see some more, head over to my SMUGMUG site.

• Like Like x 13
  2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Nice. Thank you. I loved your links. I've dreamed of visiting Angkor Wat since the 60's except for decades long wars. You might have inspired me to make that leap now. Thank you.

Richard -The SMuGMuG link got to "Page Not Found"

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Chrome!

If you search for "Siem Reap" on the 404 error page it will load the images if you wanna take a peek before Richard fixes the link.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wonderful shots of the people in the market - love this set. :thumbup:

5. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Richard,

The colors (even on my laptop screen) really seem to pop on this series.

Can you tell us if these came from a single lens in your kit? And what you use for post processing?

Reminds me of the old Fuji film in the 80's.

Regards,

Jim

6. Richella

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Thanks for the notification about the link. I've fixed it now.

7. Richella

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Thanks Jim. Most of the shots were taken with my OM-D E-M1 and 75mm f1.8. I post process the RAW file in LR5 using a technique I learned from Serge Ramelli's tutorials on YouTube. Although it varies a little for each shot it is basically as follows:-

Highlights -95
    Shadows +95
    Whites : Hold down ALT key on a MAC and move slider to right until small dots appear indicating blown out whites. I usually do this until just a few dots appear.
    Blacks: HOLD down ALT key on a MAC and move slider to left until you see areas appears indicating total black. I usually do this until I like the shot.
    Increase Contrast as required
    Boost Clarity slider to +20
    Vibrance +10
    Sharpness +25

I've made these into a preset that is my starting point for editing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Thanks much! (I should note that I have neither the E-M1 nor the 75mm although if I promise the Princess of the Exchequer a trip to Cambodia she might agree for me to go shopping :biggrin:).

Very nice work indeed!

Regards,

Jim

9. Richella

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    You don't need an E-M1 and 75mm to get this look. Try the post processing guidelines I wrote. I've used this on some of my old photos and its given them new dimension. Better to spend your money on the trip than on the camera. I thoroughly recommend Cambodia.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Thanks Richard!

(I was kidding about the E-M1...the resulting divorce would cost more than the camera and lens :biggrin:).

I'm afraid that a trip to Cambodia isn't in the cards for me; although I like looking at your photos. Too many memories of S/E Asia from long ago; I have a friend who made a return trip and enjoyed it but he's a braver man than I.

I'm going to give your post processing tips a try, though - I like the way the colors pop on some of the shots. I generally print out-of-camera, with minimal post processing but your shots seem to have another dimension that's worth exploring.

I'm glad you took the time to post them and appreciate you sharing the technique.

Regards,

Jim

11. Richella

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Thanks Richard! It so happens that I have LR4 (although I've been trying to learn Elements 12 lately) so I can check out the method using some of my own photos.

Regards,

Jim