1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The official Olympus Stylus 1 camera thread

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Sammyboy, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
  2. zorki1

zorki1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2010
    Cool, but.....no filter threads??

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am guessing there will be some discussion on this over on seriouscompacts.com.

Why doesn't Olympus build one with a m4/3 sensor? Yeah, this one has a viewfinder, which is great, but it is noticeably bigger than the GM1 with its m4/3 sensor and its lens mount. I think a XZ-3 with m4/3 sensor and option for VF-2/VF-4 use would be great!

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hmm - can't see the point in this camera at all. It's slightly bigger than the E-M5, has a smaller sensor and a fixed lens. I don't have any pockets that would comfortably take this beast. The RX 100 will deliver all that this camera does and it's truly pocketable.

6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It competes primarily with the Nikon P7800 and the Canon G16. The nice thing about it is the fixed aperture lens, though that comes at the cost of being slower than the competition at the wide end.

It also competes with the LF1, Pentax Q, Fuji X20 and XQ1. And to a lesser degree with the RX100 and RX10.

All of the manufacturers are trying to find out how to preserve a niche of the compact camera market in the face of cellphones at one end, and low priced DSLRs and mirrorless cameras on the other. This is one strategy, the other is a large sensor with a fixed wide angle lens like the Ricoh GR, Fuji X100s, and Coolpix A. Hopefully Olympus and Panasonic will do something similar to those cameras as well.

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'll be getting one as well. I don't want to carry my E-M5 kit with a few lenses (or even the 14-150 lens) on every occasion & this will be like having the minimal E-M5 (with a better grip) with a collapsing 14-150 lens that stays much smaller than that lens. It will give me the quality sufficient for those occasions too.

Try again! It's slightly smaller than the E-M5 (about 5mm narrower & 2.4mm lower) & hangs out the front a little as a reasonably flat lens & cap would, with a slightly more pronounced grip & the prism projects for a little more than the E-M5 because there is a pop-up flash in it (that can be used as an RC commander too) that doesn't have to be attached on top like the E-M5.

It's going to suit me very nicely on certain occasions & will go into the bag with the E-M5 kit as a secondary camera for other occasions. The Sony RX 100 might be small but won't go to 300mm (equiv) & at f/2.8 & has no view finder, so it all depends on what use it will get, plus the Stylus1 will also take my Oly flashes too, so should suit me fine.

8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For me, this is somewhat of a competitor to Panasonic FZ200. It too is a bridge camera equipped with a constant f/2.8 zoom but has a longer reach at an equiv 600mm. On the other hand, the FZ200 (I believe) is quite a bit larger than this Olympus.

The FZ200 is popular among bird and nature people who are not necessarily in it for the photography aspect... smallish bridge camera, lightweight, LONG focal length, simple to use, flip out LCD.

Honestly... if I were working the retail counter, I wouldn't know how to "market" this camera. Especially with the FZ200 sitting in the counter next to it.

9. Ross the fiddler

I wonder if the STYLUS 1 dedicated Converter Adapter, CLA-13 has a thread that would take a filter?

EDIT: See here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3263302
    Since the CLA-12 works on the XZ-2 (&1), it is a 55mm thread & does work well with filters, so the above (STYLUS 1 dedicated Converter Adapter, CLA-13) would also work with 55mm filters.

Concusion: Yes, with the CLA-13 adapter tube, it does take 55mm filters (& the TCON-17X Conversion Lens). If you leave this tube on you may want a 55mm lens cap too.

10. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Easy solution to that delimma - just show the customer what Panasonic out of the camera colors look like compared to Olympus colors. The color issue won't matter to the 10% of customers that shoot RAW and use Lightroom, but for the other 90% who don't it could matter alot.

11. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Actually you don't double it, you half it to get to m4/3s territory. So that camera is the same as the OM-D with the 14-150 lens on it. 300mm equiv on 35mm

12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nope

The fz200 is 600mm equiv on 35mm not 300mm.

The stylus 1 is 300mm equiv on 35mm.

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos

13. Ross the fiddler

14. Ross the fiddler

Has anybody heard anything more about stock arrival?

15. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Everybody seems to be saying "early to mid-December". I have my pre-order at Adorama and that is what my salesperson keeps hearing from the Olympus rep. Though there seems to be cameras in Japanese stores - one lists through Amazon and is only charging the list price of $749.00 and claims to have a few in stock.

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Do we yet know what the Stylus colours are like?
    For that matter : I don't even know what Panasonic superzoom-bridge colours are like ...

17. Ross the fiddler

It uses the same TruPic VI image processor used in the E-M5 (& PENs) & the colours look typical of Olympus. Here are four places with samples, including RAWs (on two of them).
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-stylus-1/7
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-stylus-1-review-23438
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-stylus-1/olympus-stylus-1A7.HTM
    http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/olympus_stylus_1_review/sample_images/

• Like Like x 1
  18. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    I have been using this for about a week and LOVE it. I over the last six months I've ordered and returned eight similar cameras, most recently the Nikon 7800. I really need a good EVF and this camera has that, the photos have been great (especially in the "enhanced" mode), it was easy to figure out as the menus system is almost identical to the EM5. I like the lever that allows me to go to manual focus easily and the simplicity of the C1 and C2 options (easier than the EM5 in that regard).

Then camera is smaller than the EM5 and fits in my fanny pack when I run - at the prices for this type of camera it was worth holding out for the right one.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ross the fiddler

I bet your camera suppliers cringed & groaned each time you showed your face. :wink: And I bet they would be sooooo relieved to hear you love this Stylus 1 too. :biggrin:

Thankfully I've picked mine up today, but it has to wait till Christmas Day before I can play with it. :rolleyes: I was going to buy from Cambuy (great prices & service!) but their stock hadn't come & got it at DCW instead as they had one in stock.

It should be a fun & useful camera when I don't want to carry the E-M5 kit around.

20. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I got mine about two weeks ago (replacing an XZ-2 as my small camera) and love it. Bit bigger than the XZ-2 (mainly the EVF) but everything else is great. And I don't have any of the AF issues in dim light (especially when the lens was fully extended) that I had with the XZ-2 (pre-update).

• Like Like x 1