The Official Lumix G5 image Thread

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
One thing I did really dislike (actually hated) on the G3 was the positioning of the red video record button which was placed very awkwardly to the right of the viewfinder and above the articulated screen
You could only really use your right thumb to trigger it and it just felt so unnatural in this position
More often than not I would have to fumble about trying to find it whilst looking through the viewfinder or would have to take the camera away from my face to locate the button. This was especially awkward for a left eye user like me

On the G5 the red video button is placed superbly behind the rocker switch.
Your index finger falls naturally onto it or you can quickly and very easily locate and navigate your finger to it from the position of the rocker switch moving your index finger backwards from there
It is also recessed so that you don't accidentally trigger it - something that the GH1 is terrible for (I've retained a GH1 in case I have to do some 'serious videoing' when my 3 year old gets a bit oder as I can use the external stereo microphone on it - shame the mic does not fit on the G5)

The shutter trigger being at an angle on the top of the grip is also a much more comfortable position and more in line with DSLR design which I have always felt have been more comfortable
Together these simple things have indeed transformed the ergonomics and although I was happy with the G3 picking it up in comparison to the G5 now it feels very much less comfortable and it immediately has that last generation feel to it now
I would maintain though that Panasonic got the G3 right according to the remit at the time of its introduction as it was hailed in several reviews as being only marginally bigger than the GF2 and still 'pocketable' whilst managing to include a built in viewfinder
At the time ultimate compactness seemed to be the overriding consideration and what buyers seemed to want. If pocketability is a consideration then the G3 is still the best choice and I may keep mine as a second body with a pancake attached to quickly throw in my pocket which I wouldn't want to do so readily with the G5
Having gone down that road as far as possible it now seems that comfortable ergonomics and compactness have to be weighed and balanced against each other to produce a product that most are happy with
I'd say that Panasonic have got the balance just right as the G5 still feels very compact but is very much more comfortable
I'd say it is the most comfortable M4/3 camera to date and unrivalled thus far for overall ergonomics straight from the box

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
Isn't this "The Official Lumix G5 image Thread"? While I'm finding all the discussion useful and interesting, perhaps it would be better in one of the other G5 threads? Just a suggestion, I'm not having a moan :smile:

spinyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I personally don't feel that the build quality is more solid than the GX1 (isn't it metallic and brick-like enough for you? lol). Probably around the same as the G3. Some parts seem nicer, but then you got a plasticy scroll wheel on the back..I'd call it a wash.

Certainly not a heavy tank like the OM-D. But perhaps your goals of not being heavy and "build quality" are somewhat incompatible..[/QUOTE

Interesting to note that the G5 is only 4 grams lighter than the E-M5,and yet the perception is that the E-M5 is a "brick".I've heard it described as such many times.Perhaps it is in the balance/grip that makes it feels heavier than it is, and the G5 just has better balance.
Image thread be damned, I am lapping up your first hand impressions of this camera!

phrenic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Interesting to note that the G5 is only 4 grams lighter than the E-M5,and yet the perception is that the E-M5 is a "brick".I've heard it described as such many times.Perhaps it is in the balance/grip that makes it feels heavier than it is, and the G5 just has better balance.
Image thread be damned, I am lapping up your first hand impressions of this camera!

No kidding...the difference (mentally) seems way larger than that. It must be very much the balance of the camera (not to mention the feel of plastic vs metal).

The OM-D is definitely more dense-feeling, which I imagine makes it easier to think of it as heavier. Or perhaps I'm just bad at judging relative weight. :rofl:

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
In part, the G5 feels much lighter than the E-M5 because it is so easy to pick up and hold onto securely... with just a light touch.

You don't need to "pinch" the body tightly, as you need to, to hold the E-M5. You just slip a few fingers around the G5 grip and gently clasp your hand - that's enough to pick up and hold the camera.

And the other part of the reason it feels lighter than the E-M5 is, of course, because it IS lighter. :smile:

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Isn't this "The Official Lumix G5 image Thread"? While I'm finding all the discussion useful and interesting, perhaps it would be better in one of the other G5 threads? Just a suggestion, I'm not having a moan :smile:

As more and more G5's find their ways into people's hands, we will see a flourishing of new images appearing in this thread... We just need to have a little patience! :wink:

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Don, wow... I love your home, I can feel the coziness. Thanks for sharing your G5 shots and experiences. :thumbup:

Hi Dave... Thanks for the comments. I haven't left home for a while, so my only pics I'm doing for now are around the house, which we are in process of finishing up repainting... Getting close to being done... Another G5 image:

P1010030.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Got my G5 a few days ago but havent had time to take it out
Ive also taken delivery of a used Panny Leica 45mm as I love macro photography and portraits when I get the chance
I am hoping to post my first photos soon - they are so badly organised on my computer - I need to sit down and sort some out

Also Uploading photos onto the site is a bit of a mystery to me
Could someone please give me a very quick run down on the correct process
Many thanks in anticipation
Regards
Rob

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Rob... Best thing is to get yourself a free picture hosting account on Flickr, Photobucket, etc. you upload your images there. I resize mine to 1500 pixels on the long dimension for web use. Then to post pics here, you go to your web hosting account, click on the link for the desired image, copy the link, then come here and paste the link into your post. Very easy once you do it a time or two.

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
After waiting for my battery to charge, I got out with my G5 today. All taken with PL 45.

7859271630_28f816e9ff_b.jpg

Who me? by foxtail_1, on Flickr

7859273788_63a39c2aae_b.jpg

Who me? 2 by foxtail_1, on Flickr

7859277452_8dca513135_b.jpg

arachnid by foxtail_1, on Flickr

7859279102_e587d91cdf_b.jpg

me again by foxtail_1, on Flickr

7859296596_c8f282e9ab_b.jpg

mushroom by foxtail_1, on Flickr

7859287730_434d267bfb_b.jpg

mushroom mountains by foxtail_1, on Flickr

7859265548_34c72f6886_b.jpg

Rest in Peace by foxtail_1, on Flickr
Grave of a beloved dog

First impression: I like! :2thumbs: It's going to take me a bit to get used to the shift in location for the shutter, and I've barely scratched the surface of the manual/new stuff. I'm intrigued with the focusing, and need to play a lot more.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Hi
My linked photos only come up as 'thumbnails'
I went to the properties of my uploaded photos on Flickr and copied the URL from within the properties to the thread post
What am I doing wrong please. Posting photos is still a bit of a mystery to me
Rob

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
Robstar, that posted the links, but if you instead post the HTML/BBCode the picture will show up here. It's under Share, above the image. Click on Grab the HTML/BBCode.

ETA: Right under the Grab the HTML/BBCode, you chose the size of your image to share. Mine above are all Large.

Latest threads

Top Bottom