1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The "Official" E-M5 upgrade dilemma thread

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nstelemark, Sep 10, 2013.

1. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    So I will start off by stating I did pre-order the E-M1. But, I am still on the fence. The E-M5 has a great form factor. The main reason I would upgrade is the PDAF support for 4/3 lenses because I want better performance from my 50-200 (well really non MF performance, if it AF'd accurately I would be happy). Given that all the new "Pro" lenses will be CDAF optimized and likely fast focusing on the E-M5, the question is to wait for new lenses or jump on the E-M1.

Since I often use S-AF and hi speed burst when shooting sports the E-M1 is not going to do that much for me since it will use CDAF with m43 lenses and that is where the future is. The only other things that really caught my eye are focus peaking (limited use since you need a native ish lens) and the my sets assigned to the controls.

I'm conflicted.

2. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    I'm not conflicted, I'm not getting the m1. When the price drops in a year, maybe, or I'll look at a used one a few months from now...

The question you have to ask yourself is...will you actually take better photos with the M1?

3. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I'm pretty happy with the E-M5 right now, if Olympus can come up with a revised "E-M5s" or something in the future that basically keeps the same formfactor, battery and optional grip but with the improved sensor and a few more physical controls I'd be set. It'd be a super bonus if they can cram something like the VF-4 or a slightly smaller VF-4 in there. Especially if the price drops under 1k.

It'd be nice if they keep releasing lenses with the clutchesque focusing mechanism. That is one of my pet peeves with m43s lenses, because you cannot easily set the focus distance. On Panasonic you don't have any information distance on the scale and Olympus just doesn't even give you one on the EVF/LCD.

4. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    With the 50-200 the clear answer is yes. The other option is to wait for the $3K Panny 150 or the yet to announced Pro super zoom.

5. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Don't have any desire to "upgrade" - at least for now. I'm really happy with the E-M5 images I get, and with its small form factor. I doubt any camera would make me a better photographer.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I currently use an E-P3. My first choice for an upgrade would be an E-P5, but I'll have to wait for a major price drop.

7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am downgrading :wink:... I am picking up EP5 . I have sold my OMD and pick up a black version soon . I like the form factor of OMD and love the grip which is configurable . I love the new EM1 and its very sturdy camera but I would wait for prices to come down a bit cheers
    Bhupinder

8. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    C-AF + E-M1 + m43 lens = PDAF. Where did this CDAF with m43 lens came from? There is no conflict. And people gota stop reading from sites like pocket lint for cameras.

9. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I am (was...?) going to wait for the E-M5 successor but the E-M1 looks soooooo darn tempting. :biggrin:

I would like to keep the size of E-M5 but I'd love to have the E-M1's performance & features. The sad thing is that I want them NOW! I know the next E-M5 will be THE camera for me but I don't know how much longer I can wait (or actually: resist).

I will definitely buy the O12-40mm but I could even save a few bucks by buying it with the E-M1. I could easily justify the purchase of E-M1 to myself in a thousand ways but... I... MUST... RESIST... :tongue:

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Resistance is futile!

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Peaking works with any lens on the E-M1. You just need to assign it to a button.

Regarding the broader dilemma, I'm in a similar position - I've got an E-M5, and my 2 favorite lenses are 4/3 - the 12-60/2.8-4.0 and 50-200/2.8-3.5. The E-M1 would be great for them. At the same time, replacing my 12-60 with a copy that has a warranty will be expensive (and I'm very nervous about using the lens without one - too many repairs).

The 12-40/2.8 is also looking a lot better than I expected. MTFs look very good and close focus is also excellent. Yes, I will miss the reach, but I've used shorter zooms before and survived. The 50-200/2.8-3.5 is the lens I can't reasonably replace (the 40-150/2.8 will undoubtedly cost at least $1500, and won't be available for quite some time yet), but I don't use telephotos that much to begin with.

Then there's the fact that I do really like my E-M5, and at current prices, I'm not that excited to sell it in order to help fund an E-M1 upgrade. I'll definitely try the E-M1, but I'm not nearly as confident I'll stick with it as before. Even if it does have a lovely mag alloy body...

12. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Yes and S-AF + E-M1 +m43 lens = CDAF.

Focus peaking only works on lenses with an electrical connection, ie no legacy lenses, AFAICT.
    ****Apparently this is incorrect and focus peaking should work for adapted manual glass.

If I wasn't shooting a lot of frames with the 50-200, I doubt I would bother. Oly said I should send my 50-200 in for them to evaluate because they feel the focusing should be accurate. If it was I would be happy where I am.

1/8000, a deeper frame buffer and the better EVF would all be great, but not $1400 great. The my sets really should be a firmware update on the E-M5 (well so should focus peaking...).

13. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had an E-M5, and now I have a Canon. I want to go back to Olympus though. I really want the E-M1, but the price is a bit high for me. I wouldn't have money left for a lens. Right now I'm thinking about the E-P5, but having a weather sealed body is just great. I don't have to worry about the camera getting wet.

14. RayAustin

RayAustin New to Mu-43

Sep 11, 2013
    I just bought an E-M5 3 weeks ago... and have preordered the E-M1. It solves several issues I have with the 5... much better EVF (I'm coming from a Canon 5dMII), FN-1 button in a much better location and size for back-button focusing, 1/8000 shutter speed and 100 ISO to keep from hitting the limit on bright days with super fast glass...

15. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    For as good as the EM5 is, it's major shortcoming at least in my experience is having the damn thing freeze (it has happened on more than one occasion) and in critical shooting situations. I hope the EM1 offers an upgrade to this issue as well as faster more consistent AF speeds.. I'm still on the fence.

16. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    So is the verdict this is real ISO 100 or manipulation? Mind you with 1/8000 it still gives you two stops wider aperture. Hmmm.

17. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm nowhere near as excited about the E-M1 as I was about the E-M5.

EVERY feature on the E-M1 could and SHOULD have been on the E-M5!

There SHOULD have been a full tilt/swivel screen on both cameras.

E-M1 could have fit the BLM-5 battery, or they should have had the HLD-6 two-part grip for those who didn't want such a bulky grip.

18. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    I am sort of unexcited by the EM-1. I suspect I get 90%+ of the performance with my EM-5 with grip. So selling that to upgrade is questionable. Maybe the EM-5 replacement will make a bigger impact.

However, I am very excited to see how the 12-40 pro works. I have been contemplating the Pana zoom, but prefer to stay with Olympus. If the 12-40 is good and Oly can come out with a f2.8 40-100 I would be a very happy camper.

19. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I am real glad I didn't pick up a PEN series camera over the past year, as I have been thinking about getting one "for my wife" and to use as a second camera. Now, I am pretty sure I will be getting a E-M1 and setting the E-M5 aside as the second, backup, wife camera.

I don't think the EM-1 will be a substantial improvement, but the layout of the buttons and changes to the controls are reason enough for me, as I miss a useable rear focus button and generally think the EM-5 needs more function buttons.

20. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    My dilemma is not so much on whether to upgrade from the E-M5 to E-M1. I am going to upgrade just for the PDAF, so that I can make better use of my 4/3 lenses. My dilemma is whether to get the 12-40/2.8 along with the camera or just the camera body, since I already have the Panasonmic 12-35/2.8. I have read somewhere that the 12-40 is even sharper than the 4/3 12-60. If that's the case, I definitely want to replace the 12-35 with it. However, I haven't seen enough review of the lens to confirm that.

If I pre-order the camera & lens combo, I save $200 on the lens, plus I get the MMF3 included (The current offer here in HK). I don't want to wait too long for the camera, but if I pre-order from a local shop, there is no refund policy...