The noisiest pet I've ever owned.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
He's pretty cute though and my daughter adores him.

phoenix1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

phoenix2.jpg

phoenix3.jpg

phoenix4.jpg

phoenix5.jpg

Lighting was a Godox AD200 (above, behind and slightly to the right) with Godox AD-S7 softbox mounted, plus a sheet of white foamcore just out of shot to the left.

Also had a Godox V1 strobe behind me to the right on 1/128 power with the barn doors on. Sole purpose of the V1 was to put a catchlight in the eye.

Shot these against a black background because the original idea was to add some trees behind, but I like them as they are.

C&C welcome. I plan to do some more this week.

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think I can see the mischief in his eyes in the second photo. Slightly lifting his right foot in the first photo might show it too.

I like the lighting, and the black background, maybe it is not always used enough, the bottom of the branch and part of the feet or tail feathers often being slightly cut off.

He's looking downward in the last photo too, maybe deep in thought. What's he thinking about? Maybe give the viewer more space look down along with him.

I enjoyed these, and I am looking forward to any upcoming photos.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I knew someone who loved and kept parrots.
She'd also had a few husbands so she must have loved a cockatoo :hiding:

Edit to add ..... true story!

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I think I can see the mischief in his eyes in the second photo. Slightly lifting his right foot in the first photo might show it too.

I like the lighting, and the black background, maybe it is not always used enough, the bottom of the branch and part of the feet or tail feathers often being slightly cut off.

He's looking downward in the last photo too, maybe deep in thought. What's he thinking about? Maybe give the viewer more space look down along with him.

I enjoyed these, and I am looking forward to any upcoming photos.

Thank you. I was concentrating on keeping the focus point on his head, so my framing was all over the place.

We got him out of his cage and attempted to settle him but he didn't like being surrounded by stands and he flew up to the curtain pole.

He's a bit like a child. We got him back down to the perch after about 10 minutes or so and distracted him by playing peek-a-boo for a couple of minutes. Then just rattled off 20 or so pictures. He's used to the flash because I set my table top photography up in the lounge.

Aperture could have done with being a stop smaller I think. This isn't something I'd like to try in someone else's house. Rather too much to go wrong.

DMLarson

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dan
Nicely shot. I have had several birds, 3 currently. It is a challenge to photograph them as they won't stand still. I'm amazed that your cockatiel stayed still.

DMLarson

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dan
Oh, and about noise...Our three birds, 2 lories and one white bellied caique, are in my daughter's room. When they get going holy cow! But, I'm used to them and I mostly don't notice anymore.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
So...what’s his name?
Phoenix :)
A really pretty boy Cockatiel/ Quarrion parrot from Australia.
Is he house trained to sit on your shoulder or finger and does he talk?
He's caged and comes out at least once a day (I bought the biggest cage I could find - it's 5'x3'x2'). He'll climb onto a finger on command and walks up your arm to your shoulder, where he'll settle. He doesn't like glasses - he'll grab the arm with his beak and put both feet on the side of your face and try to lever them off. He's learned a few fairly complex tunes and ringtones but he doesn't talk.
Nicely shot. I have had several birds, 3 currently. It is a challenge to photograph them as they won't stand still. I'm amazed that your cockatiel stayed still.
Thank you. I think more than one would be an issue. His wings aren't clipped, therefore he flies around the room and settles wherever he likes - normally on top of our curtains, before flying down to a head or a shoulder. He'll sometimes stay put on a perch for a few minutes if I'm trying to get a photo - but there are occasions when he will not settle at all. It can be a challenge to get him back into his cage.

He can be extremely noisy and he craves attention. A solution could be to get another one, but cockatiels, like people, won't necessarily hit it off with their new friend - in which case you can end up with two attention-seeking cockatiels in separate cages :)

RickinAust

Mu-43 Veteran
We had one and it when we let it out it started to chew through the wooden curtain rails. Those beaks can destroy almost anything.
p.s. very nice images.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Cute!

Friend had one which preferred to roost on a high curtain rail and yell at their cat. They kept a paper plate on the floor that it pooped on.

While cleaning house for some holiday meal thing, the wife sat the bird's poop platter on a table to take it out along with the cat scat. Relative's kids thought the bird's poop was a 'new guacamole recipe' the wife had made. Once they found out that they had been dipping their chips in bird poop, they made a mess in the bathroom.

True story.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I've shot some more and made some changes.

Tried the 45mm instead of the 60. This gives me some more depth of field (but still needs stopping down at least as much as the 60 because I'm closer if that makes sense).

Used my Godox AD-S3 beauty dish for one session. Bit of a disaster because he simply wouldn't settle and I'd set the forked perch up wrong so on most shots he moved back and you couldn't see his feet. I also managed to create a shadow from the top of the stand holding the perch.

Set back up with the softbox today. Took many more pictures, but I'd bought it quite a long way forward so it wrapped around him a little bit too much for my liking. I prefer the more directional light of the beauty dish, although the highlights wash out more easily. Next time I'll move it forward a couple of inches, to get a bit more light onto the front of him, but not so much as to wrap around him like pics 2 and 3.

Beauty dish :

phoenix_b_dish.jpg

Softbox :

phoenix_sb.jpg

phoenix_softbox2.jpg

The set up (bit fuzzy - hand held 1.6 sec, but you should get the idea) :

_A311836.jpg

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom