The next generation: Father-son photohikes

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
My 9yo requested a "real camera for himself" for the holidays. I started out looking for a E-PL7 for him, but ended up picking a P20/1.7 which conveniently had GX7 attached to it. With the P12-32 +O40-150 he has a nice little kit which I would have been thrilled to have when I was his age. And he is thrilled! The dog has been a major subject.

P1150630.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1150676.jpg

I find his framing very interesting. While keepers are few, and the P/A/S modes remain a bit of a mystery, he is loving his rig. He and I have taken a couple of hikes in the San Francisco Baylands with our cameras. I thought I would share our common captures. I am cheating a little since I am shooting RAW with an E-M1 with a O12-40/2.8 and O50-200SWD while his output is jpegs. I have processed both sets with PSE+Nik which is forming my new workflow. Crops on his shots were suggested by him.

Great Egret at the Don Edwards NWR. His lack of reach from both the lens shows as does the fact that he was a couple of feet behind me and did not feel like he wanted to come closer.
P1150658.jpg

M1012274_1.jpg

And right after these shots, his battery died. Lesson #1 for mirrorless, charge your batteries and carry spares. This was very upsetting for him especially since I had told him to pack the extra battery and he had forgotten to do so.

And so we went for a sunrise hike a few days later.

P1150701.jpg

M1062387.jpg

And finally we went back the following weekend for a mid-afternoon bird session. Yet another Great Egret
P1150784.jpg

M1202490.jpg

This Snowy Egret was spotted by the little guy under a boardwalk with an unfortunate signature of human impact. He did his first field lens change and we shot these from either side of the boardwalk.
P1150800.jpg

M1202545.jpg

The next generation
M1202492.JPG

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom