1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The NexGen GX or delusional

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by noelh, Apr 11, 2012.

1. The more printed about the Fujifilm X-Pro1, the more it grabs my interest. Costs and current limited lens options make it more of a dream vs. reality of ever purchasing.

Dreaming that Pany's next version of the GX-1 will evolve into a mu43 version of the X-Pro at a bit lower price point. Compared to the X-Pro add a swivel lcd, center the tripod socket under the lens axis, design a lens aperture control system that allow use of existing mu43 lens and a new series of fast X-lens with an aperture control ring, built in hand/finger grip similar to the optional X-Pro1 optional unit while keeping the price below the 1K mark.

If this GX-? would have the IQ of the current GX-1 but with the manual controls , EVF only vs. hybrid of the X-Pro-1 & the above listed features all for less than $999.99 (~$350 more than the GX-1 without LVF-2) would you "upgrade" your current camera?

2. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    Oregon
    So a panasonic em5?? with lenses that have aperture control ?
    the x-pro is cool, but from what i have seen, I rather have a em-5 or ep-3 with 12mm, 25mm, and 45mm

3. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    At about $1000-, I would buy a GX'ish body with an integrated EVF similar to the Fuji, as long as Panasonic doesn't take too long.

Take too long, and I might get a NEX 7 + Sigma 30/2.8 instead or the rumored little bro of the X-Pro1.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Olympus OM-D is already out, and body-only is $1000. Why does Panasonic have to make it?

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    A swivel LCD is certainly possible, as is moving the tripod socket. A built-in EVF? Possible, but I'd bet against it. Panasonic seems to believe those go on SLR style cameras, and Panasonic's EVF is awful bulky. More manual controls? Possible, but I don't think you'll see as many controls as the GH2. Again, Panasonic seems to view the GH line as the camera for that kind of "pro" feature. And more controls need more space, which probably would mean a bigger body.

A new lens line with aperture rings? Not happening.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The OMD is not a rangefinder style body like the GX1 and Fuji X-Pro. That seems to be what the OP is looking for. Me, I don't get the fascination with "rangefinder" style bodies, but to each his own.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    When Panasonic/Leica remade the Summilux to Micro Four-Thirds, they removed the aperture ring. Now Panasonic has gone as far as making a retractable zoom lens with no focus or zoom rings (even worse, the Nikon 1 version doesn't even have a focus switch like the Panny version does!). So yes, I agree with you... we are not going to see things like aperture rings being added, as the manufacturers are going in the completely opposite direction. Controls are being stripped from the lens, not added.

8. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Panasonic would have a full tilt swivel and a built in flash. So probably need a new body to implement aperture ring in lens.

The aperture ring/shutter ring in lens is already done by Samsung. Unless you want actual physical aperture stops, not sure you can implement that while remaining compatible with older cameras.

9. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Because I want a RF style body, not a SLR style body. I already have a GH2, which is even cheaper. I thought it was fairly clear that the thread is about a GX style body.

10. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    If they made an nex7 clone it would literally sell billions!!!

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Look at the Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux made in Four-Thirds mount. It features an electronic aperture ring using just the Four-Thirds contacts. Micro Four-Thirds has even more contacts for extra communication.

The problem is, that aperture ring only works on Panasonic Four-Thirds bodies. When you mount it on other Four-Thirds or Micro Four-Thirds bodies, then the lens reverts to normal in-camera aperture control like the rest of the lenses. There wasn't enough collaboration between companies to make the aperture ring cross-compatible.