1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The newest interchangeable lens system is...

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Promit, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The iPhone.
    I'm not gonna lie, I'm oddly tempted.

2. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Probably better than the Pentax IQ...

• Like Like x 1
  3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Schneider has been my favorite optics company for a very long time. They're not really well known like Zeiss, except to medium and large format shooters, but I like them significantly more. I have soooo many cameras already though, haha. Still, with Annie Liebovitz announcing that the best camera that most people need is an iphone:Annie Liebovitz recommends iPhone as "snapshot camera of today"
    This opens up a ton of possibilities for those wanting a little more versatility.

The only problem is that this system is guaranteed to be obsolete when the iphone 5 is released. Who knows what shape it will be, what lens the new iphone will have, if these add-on lenses will translate over, etc. If they do though, Schneider could always sell a new case for $30-$50, with which you could keep your pre-existing lenses.

4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Schneider rocks and always has. I bought my in-laws a 35mm P/S years ago. Some off-brand I don't recall, maybe a Samsung, but it had a Schneider lens and took the most amazing photos.

5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Samsung has some Schneider lenses for their nx system now

6. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    now if only there were a way to access the sensor directly w/o having to go through the lens that was already there. Who knows, if this really takes off, maybe someone will come out w/ a specialty Android phone system with interchangeable lenses and a bigger sensor. I'd be interested.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, this was my thought as well. It's not actually an interchangeable lens system, it's just an adapter for conversion lenses.

8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Yes, a little hole or electrical contact next to the lens that, when engaged by the add-on lens/adapter, pushed the phone's glass out of the way for direct access to the sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  9. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Right - my hope is that someone would take the plunge and create a truly interchangeable lens system with an Android phone as the body

10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Why to have iPhone or Android with ICL system ?Why not to hope that may be some day in future MFT system gets more slimmer and gets built in phone ? :rofl:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    In other words, the Schneider label is just another marketing trick, to be slapped on products, like Leica (Panasonic digicams) and Zeiss (Sony digicams).

DH

12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Everything, or damn near, comes down to marketing.

13. yohan

yohan Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 24, 2011
    My K-5's IQ was superb. I wasn't aware Pentax has a rep for poor IQ.

14. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    He was probably referring to the Pentax Q, not an SLR system

15. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    heh, because no matter how slim the body gets, the m4/3 lenses will always have to be giant compared to the ones on a phone-sized sensor. I still want my camera separate from my phone, but I want my phone to take halfway decent pics, and it'd be nice to choose a focal length.

16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Well, Polaroid has recently announced this:

Polaroid |

IMHO, it's a first step for the next gen P&S camera phone...

The problem with coming out with an add-on lens kit for android phone, otherwise, is that there are too many models of Android phones out there, making it commercially impossible to develop such a product...

17. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The problem is that aperture size is related to focal length and as focal length increases, so does lens diameter if you want fast lenses. All of a sudden those small phone camera lenses start getting bigger if you want fast lenses and/or longer focal lengths.

And once those come to phones, people will start asking for bigger sensors and who knows where that will lead. How long before we get the first phone with a full frame 24 mega pixel sensor and inbuilt 28 to 280 mm f/1,4 zoom lens?

:)

18. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    Just like they will ask for small pocketable phone with largest screen.
    Inelegant, but maybe an adjustable adapter system.
    Or make it modular enough so the mount itself can be connected to various attachment units.

19. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    They've ALWAYS had a co-collaboration with Schneider. Even back in the film days, Schneider used to have design input on Samsung's lenses, even for their point and shoots. I don't think that any of those company rebrands that you mention are marketing tricks. It's not like they are just blindly putting the lensmaker's names on the cameras. The lenses may not be assembled by Schneider, Zeiss, Leica, etc. but those companies all have very real input in the design and manufacture of the lenses, or at least their quality before the name is put on.

I think that he meant to say "Pentax Q," not Pentax IQ, but your statement still stands, and I still disagree just as much with what he said. I actually got into a bit of hot water here a few nights ago from someone making . . . "uneducatedly" denigrating comments towards Pentax. I don't know where all the hate comes from. The Pentax Q is basically a digicam-sized sensor, so pretty much the same size as everything you can buy at Best Buy cheaper than the LX5, G12, and XZ-1. Give it good sensor technology, and give it big-boy lenses. It's wildly overpriced, but it's not horrible image quality.

20. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    In addition, people have cell phones with them 100% of the time. So, the base design has to be a cell phone. For example, if you had a job interview or business meeting, it wouldn't be proper to carry a camera there and just announce, "It's ok, this is my phone."