The New York Meet & Greet Group

Discussion in 'Mu-43 Member Activities, Meetups, and Hangouts' started by Streetshooter, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Please post on this thread if you would like to meet up in New York City.
    We will try for late Spring, early Summer.

All ideas are welcome. All formats are welcome. All members are welcome.
    Count me in.....

2. SamSam

SamSam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Either spring or summer work for me, although spring in NYC might be a little more pleasant. I will most likely be using the Panasonic GH2, GF2, and GF1, and would like to learn from people using similar cameras. I would be interested in learning from people regarding photography in general, as well, regardless of what equipment they use.

3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I'm in! Late May early June would be good for me. I'm away through mid May.

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I could possibly do it, depending on dates - I have a block committed late June and a couple of Sundays in there aren't great, but I might be able to work around. Keep me in the loop.

-Ray

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Right now, I feel as though June would be the better time for me... I have a few things going on in mid May through the end of that month, at least. However, you all make your plans and if I can fit myself in, I shall surely be there!

6. stevendotwang

stevendotwang Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Steven W
    Awesome idea! Unfortunately I'm only here in NYC until the end of April :(

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Good idea! Any good photography shows coming up that we might go to? Or is this a picnic in Central Park?

8. BBW

Well there's one there now that I plan on getting in to see before it disappears. It's at the Metropolitan Art Museum through April 10th: Stieglitz, Steichen, Strand

Good idea to see what's coming up at a bunch of places, John. Some people might want to try to combine events.

• Like Like x 1
  9. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I would have an interest in this. All depends on the timing. I can fly out from my home city at 6:30 and be in Manhattan by 1:00 with the current connections. Right now the last weekend in May is a no-go and there are a few work commitments, but I could likely swing it. :smile:

10. BBW

Walt, that's what I call a real effort - flying in!:friends:

11. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I'd like to got to the Stieglitz, Steichen and Strand show too. Not much time left.

12. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I'd like to work the streets...!

• Like Like x 1
  13. I would think that the way for you guys to get the most out of this would be to get your cameras out and watch each other work. I know I'd love to have the oppotunity to learn a few secrets from the participants in either group.

14. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Haven't been too active lately, but would love to join any gathering in NYC! Haven't bumped into any other m4/3 photographers in my neck of the woods here in CT, so any opportunity to share would be welcome. Great idea!

15. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Why am I not surprised? :smile:

Any neighborhoods or types of places in particular?

16. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    John, depends who I'm with....
    I like upper Harlem, El Barrio & Hells Kitchen but only by myself....
    With others, Soho, Times Square....
    Safety reasons....

• Like Like x 1
  17. petach

petach Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    I will be flying in to JFK this Friday (with my fragrant wife )for a week. Doh....too early! Staying down in the 30's near Penn Station. Will have my GF2, 14mm, 14-42mm and a Sigma 24mm taped up at f8 hyper/f for street shots. been a few times to nYC but looking forward to using the GF2.

(if you are wondering why it is taped? I have Parkinson's tremor in the left hand and I hate having to re-find focus on a manual lens!)

18. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Oh, it's no effort at all. As a matter of fact, it's incredibly quick, easy and cheap considering where it is i'm coming from. The nearest large American city to me is Minneapolis-St. Paul and thats 6 hrs driving time. :biggrin:

I last flew to NYC just in time for the blizzard that hit on December 26-27, 2010 and that went without a hitch. I was there for three days and did the Empire State Building, the top of Rockfeller Centre, Times Square at night, Grand Central Station and the subway system, Battery Park, the Financial District/Wall Street area, and walked from there back to my hotel on West 57th. I'd love to do that when the temperature isn't 20 below and there isn't three feet of snow on the ground :smile:

Here are some shots for that trip.

Grand Central Station

NYC_Grand_Central-3.

Rockerfeller Centre

NYC_2010-483.

Subway Train

NYC_2010-293.

Chrysler Building (from the Empire State Building)

NYC_2010-115.

Christmas Display at Rockerfeller Centre

Rockerfeller_Centre_Angels.

Empire State at Night from Rockerfeller Centre

Empire_State_Building_at_Night.

An Annoyed M&M Looking at Snow Banks

Annoyed_M_M.

• Like Like x 3
  19. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    I'd be interested. Pretty flexible except for a few weekend commitments.

20. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    It's April 12th......sounds like a great idea....looking forward to seeing NYBG in spring, Tulip show, and other shows.....live in W-chester but can easily head towards Manhattan......throw some dates out....let's see what happens...EPL-1.....( and film )

• Like Like x 1