The new site look/layout

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by RDM, May 15, 2015.

1. The way it was last year (2014)

2. The way it is now (2015)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

So this year I have not had much time to be on this site. ALSO I must admit I really do not like this new layout and it is a big reason why I may choose not to log on here when I do have the occasion to get online. I can't really explain it. I asked myself if there was something specific I can attribute it to, and I could not answer that.

so I tried to do a search to see if there were any threads about this and I just came up with a list of many posts that have nothing to do with the site appearance this year. SO I guess nothing was posted like this
    SO, I am just curious if there is anyone else that prefers the old look.
    And PLEASE don't attack me for having an opinion, or debit with me while this site is better now. I am willing to concede any opposing view, I don't want a debate of any kind. I just would like to know if there are others out there and if they can tell me what are the things they don't like now.

Thank you.
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't think it matters - it's a done deal.

I like what I am used to. Day 1 after the change I would have said I liked the old one. But now I am used to this so going back would be just as much change.

I think the new site handles images and uploads and likes better, so genuinely it is better.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Thank you for chiming in. I agree with what you wrote, and even tho you didn't write it, I know you must not like it either, since you made a post after completely reading my original message.
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you say so.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Oh no, not me, you replied to a thread that Specifically asked for replies only form people that did not like the new version.
  6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I didn't like the change initially, but now I think it is fine. What we have now does not seem that different than previous version. So I'd say give it some time, but ultimately it has to work for you, regardless of what anyone else says.

As a comparison, POTN changed formats rather drastically a bit before this site did (iirc). I didn't like the changes then, and I may like them even less now. Definitely spending way less time there because of the changes, and I think a lot of other people are as well.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    What a way to start out a thread! So this must mean I don't like the site now either? Stop being combative if you want an actual discussion. If you just want to start a flame thread, why bother?

Amin migrated the site to a new forum platform, because the old system was less secure and was getting seriously bogged down. It was a necessary move. Simple as that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    I'm fine with it. The overall positive nature of the people on this forum is why I'm here. I could care less about the layout, old vs new, as long as the site works without technical issues. There may be other forums that have a better look/layout but it's the members and a sense of community that makes a forum great.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    From all practical and aesthetic perspectives the new site is quite clearly better. However, I do still miss the old site... there was a simplicity and directness about it that I think made it more engaging. Can't put my finger on it.

Like tyrphoto, I couldn't care less about it though - as he says, it the community that really matters. (oh, and on a logical/linguistic note, it should be "I could not care less" - not "I could care less", which implies quite the opposite ;))
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I do accept that this must be better now; Amin would not have altered it otherwise. I just couldn't put my finger on the reasons of my discontent with it.
    I agree with what you wrote pdk42.
  11. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I was not being combative, I just had assumed you read the original message.
    As to the want of a discussion .. well I will just just refer you to (read) the first post.. I do not want to risk being incorrectly labeled combative again.
    And thank you again for chiming in.
  12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    But you were combative to the first respondent to the thread.

I'm not trying to pick fights, so feel free to ignore me and move on. But you should know that there was plenty of discussion as to moving the site to a new forum software (software's probably not the right word, but it's close enough) and there were really good reasons for doing so.
    • Agree Agree x 1