The New PEN, It's here....

Amin Sabet

Administrator
E-PL1

• Dimensions: 114.6mm (W) x 72.2mm (H) x 41.5mm (D) (excluding protrusion)
  • Weight: 296g (body only, no card/battery)

E-P1

• Dimensions: 120.6mm (W) x 69.9mm (H) x 36.4mm (D) (excluding protrusion)
  • Weight: 335g (body only, no card/battery)

Attachments

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Olympus ad:

<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/absTi7Er4gI&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="505" width="853">

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Well, my wife read the post and threads about this camera.
Now she thinks my Pen 1 is stupid for not having a flash.
I'll get her one cause I have to...

This camera will bring many to the format.
Let's see....

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Near &quot;Playland&quot; outside of NYC, NY, USA
I think I won't look at this thread anymore.

You're correct Don, this is going to be a big seller if they are able to get the word out properly.

How about some intrepid soul listing the differences between this version and the E-P1 and 2. I will then come back and feel happy.:wink:

Amin Sabet

Administrator
How about some intrepid soul listing the differences between this version and the E-P1 and 2. I will then come back and feel happy.:wink:
Imaging Resource has a good list towards the bottom of this page.

DPR has a list here. Interesting that it has a lighter low-pass filter and also interesting that DPR lists that as an advantage.

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
GF1 copy cat

Looking at the new Pen, from the front it looks very much like a GF1 copy even down to the flash activation / mechanism.

I am however surprised that the LCD is smaller at 2.7" and still only 230,000 pixels.

I am not quite sure where Olympus are trying to place this except as an entry level intro to the current Pen EP2 so it will be interesting to see how popular it proves to be.

I hope it works for them as the more people that join the 4/3rds system, the more money for R&D and future products.

Good luck Olympus.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Looking at the new Pen, from the front it looks very much like a GF1 copy even down to the flash activation / mechanism.

I am however surprised that the LCD is smaller at 2.7" and still only 230,000 pixels.

I am not quite sure where Olympus are trying to place this except as an entry level intro to the current Pen EP2 so it will be interesting to see how popular it proves to be.

I hope it works for them as the more people that join the 4/3rds system, the more money for R&D and future products.

Good luck Olympus.

I wonder if the LCD is of the same quality as the one on the EP1/2 in regards to brightness and usability.

I like the grip and the AF tracking. Maybe they'll add AF tracking to the EP1 in a firmware upgrade?

Dj

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Ian, I think the key spec is the price. They aren't doing Canon type volume sales, so they probably needed to cut costs wherever possible to get to a recommended retail price of $599 for the kit. I'm sure we'll see sub-$500 street prices for this kit before very long. Also, the E-PL2 has compatibility with the E-P2 EVF, so that will be a nice option for E-PL2 owners who want a higher res view.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Max shutter speed of 1/2000 sec.

Eh.
I noticed that too. I was out on a bright sunny day with my Ep1 with the apeture at 14mm set to f5.6. This seems to bring really sharp results. The shutter speed at ISO 200 was 1/4000 for the picture. If I was at 1/2000, I would have had to increase the stops which wouldn't have produced as sharp of image.

Dj

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom