The new Olympus Workspace....a quick overview....

Real Name
Siegfried
I used Workspace a few weeks intensively, tried almost all its functions and I wrote a short summary on it. You will find it here.

In short I think the new workspace is good, its fast and its great to use as an image viewer. I also like the organizing options plus plus. Example, I never like LR as its organizer was slow and complex...I stopped using LR a view years ago. Instead I use Bridge and Photoshop.

I think the new Workspace could replace Bridge. The image viewer is detailed, responsive and quick to zoom. Viewing video clips is also fast and with great detail

I tested many other functions, Wi-Fi connectivity, Capture integration plus plus...

Long and short, it seems the editor is bugged....

I like to get feedback from other photographers on their experience with Workspace.....

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I haven't been able to find a good description of how to use Unsharp Mask in either OV3 or Workspace. A simple description of how/how much to use Strength, Radius and threshold would be a big help. Nobody's done a comparison of these settings between various photo editors either.
Anyone?

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
One thing for me that had to be unselected was the GPU as it just cruelled the appearance when making some adjustments, since I don't have a separate graphics card.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Another issue is when cropping when selecting the format & not the 'original'.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Siegfried
I haven't been able to find a good description of how to use Unsharp Mask in either OV3 or Workspace. A simple description of how/how much to use Strength, Radius and threshold would be a big help. Nobody's done a comparison of these settings between various photo editors either.
Anyone?
Good point - to date I used strength at 40 - 70 and a radius of 1.3-1.5 I never used the threshold setting. I can do a test.....
Thing with sharpening it is so difficult to do right, to much is horrible, to little also not good.
What you experiment with is the contrast setting in combo with sharpening, again I use settings like +1 or +2 only in Workspace

Real Name
Siegfried
One thing for me that had to be unselected was the GPU as it just cruelled the appearance when making some adjustments, since I don't have a separate graphics card.

View attachment 718923

View attachment 718922
Interesting, I have not seen this. I had a few images in 3:2 which I wanted in 4:3 so I did the change in RAW. It worked well. I will try your example....

Real Name
Siegfried

Very interesting, I will try this.....the graphics card should not make a difference or will it? I guess in one case it does a software calc and in the other it use the PC graphics card. On my iMac I have the GPU enabled and on my laptop I do not have enough GPU memory to enable it......will try....

View attachment 718923

View attachment 718922

Real Name
Siegfried
I did an update to the article - I added more examples editing a RAW file in V3, WS and Photoshop CC

More important I added a list of improvements I think Olympus could make - pls check and see if you OK with that list. I read that Olympus visit these forums and it will be great if they get good feedback?

One more thing - have any of you tried the clone stamp in Workspace. Its a little primitive but functional - you can now remove unwanted objects from a image.....

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Disappointed in that it has no AF tracking spot visible within it. I have to put the card back into the camera to find out what the camera focused on. Nikon provides the AF spot in their software, maybe Canon too, but not Olympus.

With C-AF+Tracking or S-AF+Tracking no way to know where the AF spot decided to focus on. Sometimes feet of bird rather than head, or just jumps to background or foreground making entire shot worthless. Slows down the culling process not having it, imho. If the AF misses just a few millimeters with the 300mm +TC at close distances, e.g. <6 meters or bird at full frame, I find some fine detail in feathers can go blotchy.

Last edited:
Real Name
Siegfried
Disappointed in that it has no AF tracking spot visible within it. I have to put the card back into the camera to find out what the camera focused on. Nikon provides the AF spot in their software, maybe Canon too, but not Olympus.

With AF+Tracking or S-AF+Tracking no way to know where the AF spot decided to focus on. Sometimes feet of bird rather than head, or just jumps to background or foreground making entire shot worthless. Slows down the culling process not having it, imho. If the AF misses just a few millimeters with the 300mm +TC at close distances, e.g. <6 meters or bird at full frame, I find some fine detail in feathers can go blotchy.
Hi Mack - great point.... I will add the AF tracking spot to my "like to have" list....

Ale

Mu-43 Regular
have any of you tried the clone stamp in Workspace. Its a little primitive but functional - you can now remove unwanted objects from a image.....
I can´t figure how to make it work. I never had a problem with PS or LR clonestamp but the Workspace tool... I guess I must be overlooking something... Any help will be welcome.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I can´t figure how to make it work. I never had a problem with PS or LR clonestamp but the Workspace tool... I guess I must be overlooking something... Any help will be welcome.
I haven't been using Workspace (still using OV3) but did import a TIF into it to mess around. It's quite powerful for free software. The clone tool seem to work quite well for cleaning up an image. I'll get into it in a couple of months - just too much work to do these days to devote any brainpower to "having fun". :shakehead:

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
Out of 3 machines I have tried it refuses to install on 2 of them, my Microsoft Surface Pro 2017 and a new HP Laptop. I believe this is because neither of these machines even have an NVIDIA GPU, the Surface is an i5 with 8GB, the HP an pi7 with 8GB. It does install, and run, on my Dell desktop. I have seen the posts regarding turning off the GPU within Workspace, of course that won't work when the message from the installer is that it won't install as the hardware is not compatible. If I can't run the program when I am working remote, no way can I use it on a regular basis.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom