1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The new Olympus AF is rock solid!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I brought my E-PM1 to take photos of my daughter for Halloween and I have to say it works admirably! In complete darkness, the camera was able to lock focus quickly. Even during times when I accidentally blocked the AF illumination light, it would still lock on. It's quite impressive and I'm positive my E-PL2 would have no such luck focusing in those conditions!

Also the new clip-on flash is very good. It's much better than using a pop-up flash and has very good light output. In fact, if someone told me my shots were taken with a DSLR and a proper flash setup, I'd probably believe them. :smile:

Kudos to Olympus!

• Like Like x 1
  2. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Jonathan, which lens were you using?

3. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    It probably helped I was using the 12mm f/2. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I was using a 20/1.7 in lowish light (wasn't even close to being completely dark) and had no such luck :( 

5. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    The 20mm loves to AF hunt, even on my E-P3. If I didn't have the fast focusing 12mm and 45mm, I would already have traded-in my 20mm for the new PL 25mm.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I used the 25/1.4 last night on a an EPL2, and only missed focus once (at night during trick-or-treating), but having owned an EP3 in the past, I would love to have the PL25 on one of the new Pens. Not just sure focusing, but fast, too!

7. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    The 12mm and E-PM1 in low light is very quick. I felt like I was hitting DSLR speeds. I was able to shoot my daughter's movement quite easily. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the glass, but it's good to know Olympus has matched Panasonic this time around. Though to be honest, the E-PM1 and E-PL2 are different enough in my mind, it's worth keeping both. I'm still gravitating to my E-PL2 for daytime shooting. There's a little more bite to the images in good light. I find the E-PM1 makes a very good all-around camera, while the E-PL2 is better for portraiture and slower shooting conditions.

8. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    A bit OT, but isn't it well overdue that Panasonic release a Mk II version of the 20mm? I love the image quality, but the focus speed and audible noise are a bit, 'Oh dear.'

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I think Panasonic would prefer you upgrade to the 25 1.4! I wouldn't mind a 17mm f/2 or faster though!

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Not until I sell mine please!!!!

I agree, but I think one of these vendors have to make a faster 17mm. I'm not a 35mm shooter, but could you imagine our resident street shooters with a 17/2 with Oly's snap focus and fast AF? The streetshooters might even have to give up their X100s!

11. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Dublin, IE
    Pavel
    The 20mm pancake hunts a lot on my E-P3, but it never hunts on my GH2.

12. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Interesting. I thought Oly and Panny shared lens firmware. I hope a future update will cure the problem.

13. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Jonathan, have you tried 45/1.8 in same conditions? How would you rate its focusing on E-PM1?

Stratokaster, 20mm is a rather strange lens, for me it works tad better with E-PL1 than with GF1...

14. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I've used the 45 1.8 on the E-PM1 in dusk light conditions and it works pretty well, though I haven't tried it in complete darkness. Overall though I'd say it's fairly quick. I usually test my lenses with the E-PL2, if it's fast enough on that body, then it's really quick on the E-PM1! :wink:

In my opinion though, mirrorless in general still doesn't match DSLR speeds for focus tracking. I have to adjust my timing with my m43 bodies to get shots. With My D3/D700 it almost feels like I'm cheating because I can just shoot away, but the trade off is size!

15. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Well, I'd say it depends. I have been using several generations of Pentax DSLR (except for the latest though) and my conclusion is E-PL1 has notably faster and even more precise focusing with comparable lens...

16. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I meant to say continuous focus tracking. On single AF, my mirrorless cameras lock-on quickly. It's just when stuff starts moving in and out of the focal plane, I think DSLRs work better.

17. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Any idea why? A weaker AA filter on the E-PL2? Do you have noise reduction and the noise filter turned off on the E-PM1? The cnet review of the E-P3 was critical of that cameras overly aggressive default noise reduction. Perhaps the E-PM1's default is too aggressive too?

18. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I have both my cameras set to low in NR. On the E-PL2, to my eyes look just right with a good balance of sharpness without being overly noisy. On the E-PM1 it looks a tad softer at low. I tried turning NR off on the E-PM1, but it just looked too noisy for my taste. It could either be Olympus started applying slightly stronger NR processing or it could be a slightly stronger AA filter. I'm not sure. Though it's enough where I couldn't pick a clear winner.

If straight image quality is your thing on a budget, I'd go for the E-PL2. In fact if I was shooting adapted lenses, I probably would stick with the E-PL2. The E-PL2 IBIS is also solid. My E-PM1 IBIS hasn't been as consistent. Saying all that though, the newer Pens offer quite a bit of handling improvement even on the mini. My E-PM1 has excellent AWB, responsive/fast AF and very good build quality.

19. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Same here on the 17mm f/2 with blazing speed in AF.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.