The new Olympus AF is rock solid!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I brought my E-PM1 to take photos of my daughter for Halloween and I have to say it works admirably! In complete darkness, the camera was able to lock focus quickly. Even during times when I accidentally blocked the AF illumination light, it would still lock on. It's quite impressive and I'm positive my E-PL2 would have no such luck focusing in those conditions!

Also the new clip-on flash is very good. It's much better than using a pop-up flash and has very good light output. In fact, if someone told me my shots were taken with a DSLR and a proper flash setup, I'd probably believe them. :smile:

Kudos to Olympus!

• Like Like x 1
  2. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Jonathan, which lens were you using?

3. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It probably helped I was using the 12mm f/2. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I was using a 20/1.7 in lowish light (wasn't even close to being completely dark) and had no such luck :(

5. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    The 20mm loves to AF hunt, even on my E-P3. If I didn't have the fast focusing 12mm and 45mm, I would already have traded-in my 20mm for the new PL 25mm.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I used the 25/1.4 last night on a an EPL2, and only missed focus once (at night during trick-or-treating), but having owned an EP3 in the past, I would love to have the PL25 on one of the new Pens. Not just sure focusing, but fast, too!

7. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 12mm and E-PM1 in low light is very quick. I felt like I was hitting DSLR speeds. I was able to shoot my daughter's movement quite easily. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the glass, but it's good to know Olympus has matched Panasonic this time around. Though to be honest, the E-PM1 and E-PL2 are different enough in my mind, it's worth keeping both. I'm still gravitating to my E-PL2 for daytime shooting. There's a little more bite to the images in good light. I find the E-PM1 makes a very good all-around camera, while the E-PL2 is better for portraiture and slower shooting conditions.

8. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    A bit OT, but isn't it well overdue that Panasonic release a Mk II version of the 20mm? I love the image quality, but the focus speed and audible noise are a bit, 'Oh dear.'

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think Panasonic would prefer you upgrade to the 25 1.4! I wouldn't mind a 17mm f/2 or faster though!

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Not until I sell mine please!!!!

I agree, but I think one of these vendors have to make a faster 17mm. I'm not a 35mm shooter, but could you imagine our resident street shooters with a 17/2 with Oly's snap focus and fast AF? The streetshooters might even have to give up their X100s!

11. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    The 20mm pancake hunts a lot on my E-P3, but it never hunts on my GH2.

12. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Interesting. I thought Oly and Panny shared lens firmware. I hope a future update will cure the problem.

13. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Jonathan, have you tried 45/1.8 in same conditions? How would you rate its focusing on E-PM1?

Stratokaster, 20mm is a rather strange lens, for me it works tad better with E-PL1 than with GF1...

14. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've used the 45 1.8 on the E-PM1 in dusk light conditions and it works pretty well, though I haven't tried it in complete darkness. Overall though I'd say it's fairly quick. I usually test my lenses with the E-PL2, if it's fast enough on that body, then it's really quick on the E-PM1! :wink:

In my opinion though, mirrorless in general still doesn't match DSLR speeds for focus tracking. I have to adjust my timing with my m43 bodies to get shots. With My D3/D700 it almost feels like I'm cheating because I can just shoot away, but the trade off is size!

15. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Well, I'd say it depends. I have been using several generations of Pentax DSLR (except for the latest though) and my conclusion is E-PL1 has notably faster and even more precise focusing with comparable lens...

16. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I meant to say continuous focus tracking. On single AF, my mirrorless cameras lock-on quickly. It's just when stuff starts moving in and out of the focal plane, I think DSLRs work better.

17. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Any idea why? A weaker AA filter on the E-PL2? Do you have noise reduction and the noise filter turned off on the E-PM1? The cnet review of the E-P3 was critical of that cameras overly aggressive default noise reduction. Perhaps the E-PM1's default is too aggressive too?

18. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have both my cameras set to low in NR. On the E-PL2, to my eyes look just right with a good balance of sharpness without being overly noisy. On the E-PM1 it looks a tad softer at low. I tried turning NR off on the E-PM1, but it just looked too noisy for my taste. It could either be Olympus started applying slightly stronger NR processing or it could be a slightly stronger AA filter. I'm not sure. Though it's enough where I couldn't pick a clear winner.

If straight image quality is your thing on a budget, I'd go for the E-PL2. In fact if I was shooting adapted lenses, I probably would stick with the E-PL2. The E-PL2 IBIS is also solid. My E-PM1 IBIS hasn't been as consistent. Saying all that though, the newer Pens offer quite a bit of handling improvement even on the mini. My E-PM1 has excellent AWB, responsive/fast AF and very good build quality.

19. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Same here on the 17mm f/2 with blazing speed in AF.