The new Leica - what should it be for you?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nickthetasmaniac, May 28, 2013.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Some/most of you have probably heard the rumours and seen the tease that Leica recently put on their FB page regarding their new release announcement on June 11 - going from the picture they posted its a model that should sit somewhere between the new M(10) and the X2.

So acknowledging that this is Leica, and Leica does what Leica does, what would the new model have to be for you interested?

To keep things realistic we can probably assume it'll be in the ballpark of $5000...

For me...
    - Native M-mount and full-frame (presumably the M 240 sensor) - this is the big one, I'm not interested in paying Leica prices if it can't take Leica lenses at their intended field of view. I'm even happy for it to remain MF.
    - In-built EVF representing the absolute state-of-the-art. I have no issues with EVFs, especially for manual lenses, and ditching the rangefinder mechanism is the obvious way to cut costs, but it has to be the best.
    - Same design ethos as the M240 in a slightly smaller body.
  2. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    No more dreaming:

(UPDATED) First image of the Leica Mini M!!! | Mirrorless Rumors

The Leica Mini M is an APS-C sensor camera with fixed zoom lens! These are the specs:
    - Leica Elmar 28-70mm f/3.5-6.4 (FF equivalent)
    - 16,1 Megapixel APS-C sensor.
    - external electronic viewfinder can be used
    - Full Aluminum body
    - FullHD recording
    - Bundled with Photoshop Lightroom.

The Camera will be announced on June 11 according to Leica.

Price is 2450€ (over $3000)!

At least you can save on the viewfinder and use the Oly viewfinders on it....
  3. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I wouldn't pay for it... 28-70 lens is great but way too slow and you'll always be in high ISO. I'll keep my fixed lens x100 ;)

Although I'll be first to admit if the M9 was in the 3k range I'd be on it in a second, yes I'm a Leica ******
  4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I don't want to diss Leica but, for me, the brand simply isn't relevent anymore. Cameras and lenses at that price simply make my eyes glaze over. Too fine for my taste and wallet. However, that doesn't mean I don't understand the Leica appeal. I hope the new Leica is a great camera and brings many more people into the fold.
  5. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    Another overpriced camera? Isn't it pretty much what Leica does? I stopped looking by now, mainly because of the prices...

On this note, this might be a rumor more relevant for me personally
    Three Full Frame mirrorless from Sony to come in 2014! | Mirrorless Rumors
  6. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    A slow fixed zoom lens and they want how much for it? Second only to RX-1 for stupefyingly outrageous pricing. Oh, and I am sure it is capable of lovely images for those of you who think this is Leica bashing.
  7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I've posted this before but the truth about Leica - as good as they are - is that they had no choice but to move upmarket. Leicas were never what one would call cheap. But they weren't necessarily stratospheric, either. Faced with more and better competition from Asia, Leica risked being rendered uncompetitive because of higher labor costs in Germany. They could have moved production to Asia. They could have become another camera-brand-in-name-only like Rollei. They did neither. Instead, they went the premium route and positioned their cameras and lenses as ultra-high-end products and priced them accordingly. It's a page out of Harley-Davidson's book and it worked. Props to them. But for many of us, Leica's simply no longer compute at all. Still, for those who have the desire and ability to buy Leicas, I say have at it and enjoy!
  8. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Leica is concentrating it's resources on the big spenders who can afford it; the amateur for shooting enjoyment and bragging rights; or the pro who enjoys the camera and write-off.

I came to Micro 4/3 in part because of Canon's stupefying price increases on lenses; especially long glass. At some point, the amateur photographer needs to examine how much dough he or she is pouring into what amounts to a hobby.
  9. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    I agree with Biro's comments. If you can afford Leica you won't be disappointed. It's products are capable of greatness. But so are the products made by many Asian competitors at a significantly lower price. And I wonder whether the higher labor costs in Germany are the only, or even a significant, reason for Leica pricing?
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    It'd be interesting if the lens wasn't slow slow. 3.5-6.4 on APS-C. No thanks. Fuji XE1 + Fuji kit zoom would be (will be/is) an all-around better performing camera, with a similar footprint AND a built in EVF.
  11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Well, direct labor costs (Germans are well-paid) and the fact that since Leicas are hand-made, production numbers will never be that high. Which means Leica doesn't enjoy the economies of scale that, say, a Nikon or Canon does. On the other hand, low production that doesn't quite meet demand (just as with Harley-Davidson) ensures higher prices.

That's the business model that Leica made a deliberate decision to implement by positioning its cameras and lenses at the high end of the market. The high prices guarantee Leica's continued viability. Prices that it could never command if production was even in the ballpark of the big Asian camera and lens makers.
  12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    So Leica is the new Leica ... ?
  13. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    That's so disappointing, and a complete let down that they would call this a mini M! Leaving aside the price!!

Oh wait, some commenters are calling fake. I think it's a fake.
  14. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    If it is a fixed lens camera, as it apparently is going to be, it would have to have a hell of a lot faster lens the f3.5-6.4, unless they've got some high iso secret genie that no one knows about yet.

If the lens were a kit zoom on an interchangeable lens system, it would be something else entirely. But to be forever stuck at 3.5-6.4 for $3000. No thanks. If it really is an "M" mini, it should take M glass. Otherwise the M designation makes no sense at all.
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The big problem is that for the money you could get the new GX2/OMD and the faster Panasonic 12-35 lens. Leica makes good stuff, but I can't really believe you wouldn't be better served by the mu43 combo.
  16. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

fixed lens (no M mount) and slow one at that.

No thanks.

I was hoping for an M-mount built ground up around an EVF. This isn't even up to par with the Digilux 2 with its f/2-2.4 optic.
  17. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    has to be fake...

if it isn't M-mount and full frame then it's a waste
  18. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines

I have gone this far for a Leica, and it is because of the rangefinder experience. At least a FF though. Slow lens no-no.
  19. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    IF any other manufacturer "leaked" this image you would think, "fake". But Leica has the X1 and X2: supremely overpriced point "n" shoot cameras with fixed single focal length lenses and no built in viewfinder and, having owned an X1 for awhile, not particularly well built, and which produce poor images at higher iso's. I still think the X1 and X2 are a fake and yet, there they are.
  20. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm actually relieved about leaked information. I just purchased an M-E several months ago and I thought the Mini M might be a stripped down version of the M (i.e. no RF, no video, etc.). If the Mini M is an interchangable M mount camera, I might be regreting my M-E purchase.