1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The new iPad

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by David A, Mar 16, 2012.

1. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I got my new iPad yesterday and of course one of the things I was most interested in was just how pictures looked on it. In a word, stunning. 2048 x 1536 resolution on a 9.7" screen looks superb.

Not only do my own photos, synced from Aperture, look much better on the new screen than they did on my first gen iPad but so do shots on the web. Photos on this site, viewed either using Safari or the Mu-43 app, also look much better and also much better than they do on my 24" iMac screen. I lose size on the iPad compared to the iMac but I gain on screen resolution and the increased pixel density delivers a much more compelling image. Looking at photos on other sites, 500px and the various blogs I follow, shows the same improvement.

If anyone is tossing up on whether or not to consider the new iPad for browsing or looking at photos, then I'd suggest they find a store with a demo model on display and take a look at a few of the photo threads here. As Bhupinder keeps warning people about the Oly 45m, be prepared to spend money once you see the results.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mandoo

Mandoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Essex, UK
    They're amazing bits of kit, but unless I win the lottery they're well out of my price range. :frown:

3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey Mandy stay positive . U will be fine soon .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

4. Mandoo

Mandoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Yeah, I'm sure I will. Its tough staying positive sometimes, but thanks for your kind words. :smile:

I've got an Advent Vega tablet which is pretty good as far as Android goes, but I haven't tried viewing pictures on it yet. Its got a reasonably decent screen so it might be OK. Its certainly pretty good for watching movies on.

Using iPhoto on the new iPad does look pretty good though and those retina screens are amazing.
    Credit where is due as I know a lot of people hate Apple, but they do a great job with the products they make and I think they're worth the money.

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

LOl
    Thanks David
    Yes iPad looks much better than two previous generations . I have already two iPads at home and need to get rid of them first before I could buy new one . They will be soon in ebay .I love the idea of editing photos with touch screen rather than fiddling with ur mouse . Now coming back to Oly 45 mm 1.8 - simply amazing ..I just love it .Honestly I never expected this lens to be so good ..
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Oh, wow, I just totally posted the exact same thread. I was actually confused for a few seconds because I was wondering why the first post was written by a guy named "david".

Here is my post:

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    I just got mine about four hours ago, so I haven't yet had the time to explore it thoroughly. But coming from a 1st gen. iPad, two things really impress me so far: the screen is unbelievably sharp, and the speed of operation is incredibly fast in comparison. I'll get a chance to try the camera out this weekend, though I don't really expect to use it very much. But I am very, very impressed so far.

David

8. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I just got mine today too, a 32gb version (I'll be using it as a JPEG emergency backup device on my trip to Japan). :biggrin: Text looks really sharp.

9. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    The camera on it is vastly better than the iPad 2, but not as good as the iPhone 4. I... won't be taking pictures with my tablet either way.

BTW, since i have both the iPad 1 and the 3 with me right now, I'm having fun with Garageband.

10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Not really interested in the ipad 3 but I'd love to see that panel technology trickle down to other things...like LCD monitors. :p

11. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Anyone use it with Air Display yet? I'm interested in using it as a second "preview" display in Lightroom.

12. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I don't think it will work until they update the app.