The new GH2 coming soon with 18mpx!

culip

Mu-43 Rookie
From Sept 7th's 4/3 Rumors' site:
new_pana_sensor.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It took long time to get reliable infos about the upcoming Panasonic GH1 successor. We already told you that the Panasonic GH2 will be announced on Tuesday September 21 (the first day of Photokina).

And finally we know the resolution of the new sensor!
The GH2 will have a new 18 Megapixel multi aspect sensor. Like the Canon 7D and Canon T2i (550D) this is the highest resolution sensor available for non-fullframe cameras (APS-C or FourThirds). But because it is a multi-aspect sensor the effective resolution will be 16 Megapixel. It is the highest resolution sensor ever used for a (Micro-)FourThirds camera. The new Olympus E-5 (to be announced on September 14) will not use that sensor.

We need your help to confirm the other GH2 camera specs we received. If you know “something” feel free to share your knowledge using the contact form on the right sidebar (you can avoid to give me your name or email address if you want to keep yourself anonymous). Or contact us at 43rumors@gmail.com. Thanks!

In the meanwhile the GH1 is becoming cheaper and cheaper almost eveywhere (Click here to check the current price). But keep in mind that the Gh1 hack doesn’t work anymore with the newest Panasonic firmware!

Follow 43rumors until the September 21 announcement! We will update this website with all last minute rumors, leaks and camera reviews!

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Could be a good thing, could be a bad thing. We'll have to see what they do with this sensor to improve its low-light capability. Making pixels smaller is not a good start for that.

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The pixel race has begon. We can't stop it. Even when you don't need it. It's marketing, it's improving techniques. All the electronic stuff we buy this year is old fashioned next year.

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I would rather have a 12mb sensor with improved high ISO performance.

I was listening to an interesting podcast from This Week in Photo yesterday where someone was comparing the Canon 22mb sensor against the Leaf 22mb sensor for the Hasselblad and the difference came out in 2-3 stops better dynamic range for the medium format sensor thanks to the larger pixels. They captured more light.

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The pixel race has begon. We can't stop it. Even when you don't need it. It's marketing, it's improving techniques. All the electronic stuff we buy this year is old fashioned next year.

I agree Herman upgrading can be fruitless unless there is a very significant sensor improvement.

Problem is too much Pixel peeping by users, m43 is already excellent for normal needs.

jimevidon

Mu-43 Regular
Unless they do something to change the shape of the pixels or do something to redesign the sensor lens, simply adding more pixels may just lead to more noise which they will have to damp with the firmware. That may or may not lead to mushy noise reduction.

What I read is that it is a 12mpxl sensor which should reduce noise and they have added to that 6 mpxls of IR sensitive pixels (sensor cells) which will allow them bragging rights of 18 mpxls. total. As I understand it the IR sensors will do their job in low light situations by making some sort of duplicate image and the noise reduction program will interpolate the two images to reduce noise while retaining high resolution in the final image.

True or not? We'll have to wait for Photokina 2010.

Jonkobeck

Mu-43 Regular
Megapixels are the biggest marketing ploy of the century. I'm not shooting posters, 12 mp is more then enough, unless your printing big.

But the camera manufacturers know that the ignorant amateur market (and that's where they make their money, not from the pro market) will eat up more megapixels like it was candy.

I wonder how much this will be. Then come next Summer a new one will come out with 20 megapixels.
1000 mp won't make you a better photographer or improve your images.

I recall just 5 years ago some very big name Magnum photographers were using 5mp cameras to shoot wars.

I'm in the process of looking for a GH1 and a couple more lenses. Then after that, I'm not reading any more message boards to discuss camera models and I'm not looking at more "new and improved" cameras for at least 3 years.
I have better things to do, like taking pictures. Sorry for the rant, I had to get that off my chest :)

vincechu

Mu-43 Regular
Agree with everyone so far, and I'm glad to see no one's posted "yay more megapixels is better" or something along those lines ;-) I'd be very interested to see the lowlight performance of the GH2, I trust Panasonic know what they're doing, they wouldnt give 18megapixels and give us very poor lowlight performance would they? ;-)

The LX5's new sensor tech. (according to Panny) gives around 1/3 better lowlight performance over the LX3, lets see if this can be applied or be bettered in M4/3rds ;-)

I just wonder if Panny will go back-lit?

jimevidon

Mu-43 Regular
Jonkobeck,

I came to the same conclusion. i never had a need to have the first new toy on the block. Most of my digital cameras are computing wunderkinds. But all I do, whether a manual RF like the M8 or full featured DSLR like the D300 is to set up my shot, focus, compose and shoot in Raw. Not much different than I did 40 years ago with film except digital is odorless, less messy and a lot quicker in order to get to a decent print.

What the H--l, I have a great digital RF (Leica M8) and a Nikon D300 plus assorted other nice quality cameras. All I need now is a competent small high quality traveling hand held digital that can also use my legacy high quality lenses (Leica and Nikon). The GF1 is priced right since a new model is coming out. So I ordered one at deep discount with the EVF and it arrives tomorrow. Let the others pay top dollar for the GF2 or whatever it's called. Since it is not my prime camera, but mainly for travel, I'll be happy with the "poor old" GF1 with only 14 mpxls. Ha!

Jim

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
yay, more megapixels! =)

In all seriousness, this was bound to happen. And to be honest, as long as they didn't make it WORSE in the noise/DR category, I'm fine with it. I don't need it, but them 21MP 5D files got lots of detail.

But, I would have much rather have everyone stay at 12MP and give me say... a 2 stop improvement at ISO1600 and more DR so I don't easily blow out highlights. Until then, I'll hang on to my GF1. In fact, I'll probably hang on to it till it breaks on me =)

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
How much MP

I have watched an issue on pixel amount on dutch television.
Pictures were taken with different MP from flowers and presented as posters to people.
What liked people most?
Yeah, right, posters shot with low MP...

Jerry_R

Mu-43 Regular
If implemented smartly - after downsizing - we still can receive less noisy and sharper picture.
If smartly. We will see.

jimevidon

Mu-43 Regular
Right you are. My error. Never the less, the technology I described still holds if the article I read is correct. That is 12 + an additional 6 IR mpxls. for interpolation in low light to reduce noise. In any case, it is all speculation until it is announced.

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm interested (if this new sensor is true) why they would stuff more megapixels into the space that was occupied by the best m4/3rds sensor. Would they not have been better tweaking the GH1 sensor for DR or speed or something? also, why haven't we seen the GH1 sensor used in any new camera : either it really was very expensive for them to make (which makes a GH1 body a secret bargain) or their supplies aren't available...

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Would they not have been better tweaking the GH1 sensor for DR or speed or something?

We may see a bit of both, although I too would have preferred a focus on performance for the existing GH1 sensor and less on upping the MPs.

also, why haven't we seen the GH1 sensor used in any new camera : either it really was very expensive for them to make (which makes a GH1 body a secret bargain) or their supplies aren't available...

...or Panasonic didn't feel like sharing their flagship sensor technology with the other players in the market. They have to have some differentiator, and since they're also manufacturing sensors it made sense for them to keep the best stuff for themselves as a showcase for what they can accomplish technologically. We'll start to see the GH1 sensor appear in the next Panasonic MFT cameras like the GF2/3 and the G3 now that the GH2/3 is coming out officially.

Latest threads

Top Bottom