The new flickr

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sinclair, May 20, 2013.

1. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

I have just learned that Yahoo has revamped flickr. I had been using Google+ photos to store my stuff online to share on sites like this, skipping over flickr because it seemed to get anything decent you needed a paid membership. But the new look and 1TB is a temptation. Does anyone use flickr free accounts to share things? How was it for old images, as in having them up for a few years are they still easy to get to? Those that use flickr, what do they like and dislike about the new flickr?
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I like the new flickr for the most part, it's just hard getting used to the new layout. Not necessarily bad, just need to adjust. It looks very nice. I do miss having all the information on the same screen of the photo without having to scroll down though. The new layout definitely emphasizes the photo over everything else.

I think a pro account is pretty much useless now. I'm keeping mine until it expires, although I would miss the stats.
  3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I've been wavering between Google+, 500px, and Flickr for a while. Lately, I've just put everything in Windows Live SkyDrive, using a public folder for sharing images here or elsewhere...but yes, this is tempting...
  4. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm not crazy about it but I have like 15K photos on Flickr.. Have slowly been adding new ones to google+
  5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Am I missing something or have they yet to iron out all the wrinkles? My 'Sets' page for example is a mess.
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
  7. Joe King

Joe King Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    They seem to be trying to make it look as much like 500px as possible.

I like the new tiled layout; unlike 500px you can see each picture in its entirety rather than just a random square crop. Not so sure about the individual photo pages: it's not so obvious you need to scroll down to find comments and further info about the picture such as setting used, location, sets/groups etc.
  8. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Thoughts so far:

* the tiled layout is good;
    * the emphasis of the photograph in their individual page is probably better overall, although it takes some adjusting;
    * the absence of the automatically zoomable map for location is an unfortunate omission;
    * it is very difficult to set one's cover photograph: it only allowed me to select from "recent" photographs, or upload something completely new;
    * it is harder to see the statistics from an individual photograph (I have a Pro account), as there is no link on the individual photograph's page to the statistics for that photograph any longer; and
    * the ability to have a large number of photographs for free will very probably tempt a very large number of new users to the site.
  9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    After playing around with it some more...

Presentation: Very nice.
    Usability: Not so good.
  10. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I like it.... always thought the old layout so dated. The picture always seem so small on my 27" monitor.
  11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    on first look I really like what they have done

12. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Some pro's and some con's but overall I think once you "get use to" to the new layout it will be just fine. Really liking the more storage and full resolution thing (although i haven't really checked out if there is any truth to the latter).
  13. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    it looks very similar to an iOS app called FlickStackr
  14. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I can't get into my flickr accounts because the email addresses are the same and I think Flickr changed the rules after I created the accounts. I'm actually not sure what the problem is, but I can't get into either of the accounts and unless I get into one of them I can't fix either of them.
  15. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    They have 40 pages of hate mail after four hours! The redesign is a disaster. Full of bugs. basic usability issues. Clobbers the photos by cramping them all together.

Plus they have screwed their pro account holders (like me). How can that be a good business policy?
  16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I like it. As a "Pro" user, I'm glad they made the deal so much better for free users. Should bring a nice infusion of new users into the community.
  17. rparmar

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Yeah, because Flickr is lacking in users as it is. :rolleyes:
  18. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    +1 - I really like having more space. It will take some getting used to the changes.
  19. rparmar

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    I like having space around my images. Whitespace I think they used to call it, before everyone went all ADD and swipe-happy.
  20. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Lol, probably the same people complaining about the change that have complained about no changes for so long.

Its certainly not perfect but I won't "complain" unless they just leave it as is. I will however use it and offer suggestions as to what I would like to see changed added. Bottomline is, change has to start somewhere.

As a Pro user though, I am hoping they throw us a little more of a bone than just no ads and stats. I would love to have customizable themes/pages (background, layout....)