The new Apple iPad

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Just noticed this on the NY Times website under Bits, though it is on the front page as I type this: Live Blogging the iPad Product Announcement: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/27/live-blogging-the-apple-product-announcement/?hp

...The new device will have to be far better than the laptop and smartphone at doing important things: browsing the Web, doing e-mail, enjoying and sharing photographs, watching videos, enjoying your music collection, playing games, reading e-books. Otherwise, “it has no reason for being...”

Apple’s answer: the iPad.

It looks like, well, a big iPhone, pretty much as anticipated.

I'm just quickly scanning it and the blogger is both pretty funny and interesting. I'll have to finish it later, but see what you think.

Bullfrog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My first reaction is "mmmwaah" (trans: not convinced). The giant iphone look doesn't appeal to me at all. It just looks to be too big and I can't see the benefit over a small netbook for web access. Kindle beater? Mmm. Hands-on might prove otherwise but, for now, I am less than impressed.

I should probably qualify the above by claiming "old fart" status, thus impervious to efforts the marketing-demographic smurfs.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I really expected it to have at least one camera - video conferencing would have been such an obvious killer app for this.

We'll probably take 4 for our household... Apple are going to make a fortune with this device.

Cheers

Brian

Ranger 9

Mu-43 Regular
I already have a laptop computer for keyboard-intensive or compute-intensive tasks. The keyboard, the folding monitor, all the ports... yeah, I need all that stuff for Lightroom, Illustrator, and Final Cut Express.

The thing is, I don't need all that stuff for what constitutes 95% of my computer-using time: viewing my photos, handling emails, reading websites and documents, posting to my blog, etc. Dragging the laptop (and its charger) to work every day is just a bit more of a chore than I'd prefer, especially considering that I don't really need most of its capabilities for my "mobile communications" tasks.

I've said all along that what I needed for carrying around was something more like an iPod Touch -- only with 3G for when I'm away from WiFi, and with a bigger screen so my photo portfolio would look a bit more impressive (and so the onscreen keyboard could be less dinky.)

Apple seems to have slam-dunked that wish list, and by Apple standards even the price point is reasonable. With the 3G versions due out in 90 days, I have a feeling I already know where my tax refund will be going this year (pretty astute timing, Steve-o!)

Ranger 9

Mu-43 Regular
I really expected it to have at least one camera - video conferencing would have been such an obvious killer app for this.

I suspect AT&T would have balked at the low-priced 3G plans if videoconferencing would be eating up their bandwidth.

Still, it's got a dock connector -- wonder how long it will take for a plug-in accessory camera to appear?

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I can't pass judgement until I see one up close and personal but I can easily see how for us Mac fans that have the needs along the lines that Ranger has mentioned, could well find ourselves rationalizing without too much trouble.

Hey, Shooter if I could have an iPhone I'd love to but I'm too cheap to pay the monthly fee for the connection.

The thing about this is that it appeals to those who love their Macs but really only need a netbookish kind of thing but don't want a PC. My husband could really use one and of course I'd have to borrow it often.:friends:

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Has anyone noticed that the iPad screen has 4:3 aspect ratio :biggrin:

It will make the perfect image viewer for m4/3rds users.

Cheers

Brian

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I can't pass judgement until I see one up close and personal but I can easily see how for us Mac fans that have the needs along the lines that Ranger has mentioned, could well find ourselves rationalizing without too much trouble.

Hey, Shooter if I could have an iPhone I'd love to but I'm too cheap to pay the monthly fee for the connection.

The thing about this is that it appeals to those who love their Macs but really only need a netbookish kind of thing but don't want a PC. My husband could really use one and of course I'd have to borrow it often.:friends:

BB,
The service charge for me is about $200.00 a month but well...no butts....

Brian,
I hear it will do 3/2 and also 16/9 but it won't do raw....:horse:

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I wouldn't rule out raw... Adobe have already got a version of photoshop for the iphone haven't they?

Cheers

Brian

robperks

Mu-43 Regular
I want to know how I can manage multiple terrabites of info with it? Video and Photo, if I can do that through the port and an external drive you will see me figuring out how to get a third job to pay for it, until then 64 gig of memory is just a warm up. Also, I would like to be assured that the applications and file management can be handled more like a traditional computer and not a sync to some other divice.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I guess you'd be relying on a wifi link to a hard drive... and a future, more powerful iPad. I'm sure this is just the beginning of a shift away from laptops for the majority of our use (as Ranger mentioned above).

Cheers

Brian

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
In the present, it will at least own the market for people who web surf from the couch to the toilet and can afford a dedicated device for that purpose :biggrin:.

Ranger 9

Mu-43 Regular
I'm already working on names for applications to go with the new device.

For business users, to keep track of receipts and reimbursables:

"iPad myExpenses"

An eCommerce app for Victoria's Secret, allowing users to order customized undergarments:

'iPad myBra"

Anyone else? Go on, you know you want to...

Latest threads

Top Bottom