The new Apple iPad

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
BB, just imagine the thing developers will create for the iPad. Specific apps for photography that will harnest the more powerful processor.

I think the biggest challenge with for Apple is to explain that this is a whole new category. It is unfair to compare it with a laptop or even with a netbook. This is a new way to process and consume information, it is not another computer. In the long run, I think it will have an impact similar to the introduction of the first laptop.

Whatever it happens, I can't wait to get my hands (and fingers) on one of these things!

Gus

I think you're right, Gus. And although Ray's post about the iPad battery - which can also be found on Apples' own site is a bit disturbing, I am very interested in following the news, and more. I'd like to believe that they'd figure out the battery issue soon.

Gusnyc

Mu-43 Veteran
I think you're right, Gus. And although Ray's post about the iPad battery - which can also be found on Apples' own site is a bit disturbing, I am very interested in following the news, and more. I'd like to believe that they'd figure out the battery issue soon.

Hi BB,

Why do you find the information about the battery disturbing?

Gus

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I suppose it bothers me to read what's described here: http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/service/battery/ Perhaps I'm just both jumping to conclusions and deluding myself about batteries in general because they have also written
Designed by Apple, the new A4 chip provides exceptional processor and graphics performance along with long battery life of up to 10 hours.* Apple’s advanced chemistry and Adaptive Charging technology deliver up to 1,000 charge cycles without a significant decrease in battery capacity over a typical five year lifespan.**
I'm probably in the dark ages thinking that batteries can be replaced without costing so much...as I sit here and type with my MacBook Pro 2006 plugged in fairly often.

5 years is a good period of time. So maybe I jumped the gun...while I was typing this I found that which I just quoted.:wink:

Gusnyc

Mu-43 Veteran
In my case, batteries last around 3 years, after that I can see a decline in their charge capacity. I asked because I thought it was great to get a new (or refurbished) iPad instead of changing the batteries in the old one.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
True about the new or refurbished. Unfortunately my experience on batteries in my MacBook Pro isn't quite as good as yours, alas, but I don't mean this as a complaint.

I think my post reflected my first reaction to the battery: "What about all my stuff?!" Backing up is part of life and I'm sure whatever one needs to do will be well documented.:thumbup:

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I agree it's nice to get a whole new unit when the battery dies, but it seems a bit wasteful... unless they're refurbishing the original units... but then why not just replace the battery?

What bothers me is that electronic goods are designed as a consumable item.

Cheers

Brian

BlairMacKay

Mu-43 Regular
http://www.gapadventures.com/trips/wild-china/ACWC/2010/

I've taken two trips with GAP (Japan, Eastern Europe) and really like their "style" - the groups usually are 10-15 people only. This trip seems a little less "touristy" than the usual ones.

Looks like a great trip! I have been in China for a year travelling and working so I have seen those spots except for Hong Kong. It definitely takes in the highlights of China! Tiger Leaping Gorge is incredible and Yangshuo is the stuff of fairy tales. All of the spots are extremely beautiful and different.

When you're in Chengdu be sure to eat the super spicy Sichuan food! The pandas won't dissapoint either.

China is a different animal for sure, so keep an open mind and you will have blast!

Bill Gordon

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Gus

personally i think the iWork has been developed to 'roadtest' the new interface paradigms and point developers in the direction that apple sees as being the future.

I think the world of windows, menus, folders and files we have all got used to will eventually go away.

K

Kevin, I sincerely hope so..that will be the big break for Mac over PC

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I actually know some avid mac users who are complaining that its not 16:9 or 16:10.

Dj

quite a few people, period, complain about that. Given it's suppose to be a sit back and watch media device, I would have loved to see a 16:10 ratio instead. Basically the iPad as it is, but a little thinner.

Bill Gordon

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It seems to me that whatever new product hits the street there are always some people that can see the faults in the design despite the fact that they have not had an opportunity to actually see it in use, or in fact have the opportunity to try it out. New ideas usually are a collective decision of many engineers who look at the overall impact that a new product will have. In my opinion for what it is worth is that the iPad will be a bonanza to travellers and to those people who want portability along with a bigger iPod and that is what the iPad appears to be..plus...it will be able to do a lot more than the iPod.:thumbup:

oris642

Mu-43 Regular
From www.macrumors.com:

9 to 5 Mac noticed yesterday that shipping windows for several of Apple's forthcoming iPad accessories have begun to slip well past the device's own April 3rd launch date.
First we noticed the iPad case making a slight shift from April 3rd to Mid-April. Today we notice Apple has delayed the iPad Keyboard Dock. The product was originally set to ship to customers in late-April but now the Apple store has placed the shipping time for sometime in May.

The reason for the delays are currently unknown, although it is reasonable to speculate that high demand may simply be outstripping Apple's supply in the initial rush.

A number of observers have also noted that the iPad Camera Connection Kit, which will offer users the option of USB or SD Card reader connectivity for transferring digital photos and video to their iPads, is yet to be made available for pre-order.

The reason for the lack of pre-order availability on the iPad Camera Connection Kit is similarly unknown, and many users are currently left waiting for news on how soon after the iPad launch they'll be able to easily directly move their photos and videos to their iPads.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
So has anyone here taken delivery of their iPad yet?

I'm going to quote GusNYC here from another thread about the Dell..
I just read a review in the Chicago Sun Times about the iPad camera connector. It allows to import RAW and video files from the camera.

Amazing

I respect your idea of getting a Dell (duuuuuuuude... sorry, I couldn't resist). But no thanks. I can't wait for the iPad. The reviews are incredible. Even PC World (who is the anti-apple) is having a hard time to dislike it.

Gus, I'd love to know more about this camera importing RAW information. Any links to that article?

LisaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I'll be picking up mine Saturday too. I just downloaded a bunch of ipad apps tonight in advance.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Looking forward to hearing about what you think. I saw that they have a two nice keyboar options should someone have the need or want.

Isn't it true that there is an option to turn the iPad into a phone as well? I was rationalizing in my mind that this could be our "home phone"...and trying to justify it all financially.:wink:

LisaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I wouldn't look at it as a phone. Later in the month there will be a 3G version but still not a phone. You could use skype over wifi but there are dozens of better and cheaper solutions. As far as RAW it may copy RAW files but I don't really see how it could process them without proper RAW converters. So it may just copy and store them until you can get the files onto another computer.

I'll know more tomorrow.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom